Old 06-18-2021, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Master cylinder for 66 LeMans manual brakes

It looks like my single master needs replacement. I would like to go to a manual dual master cylinder and was thinking of a dual cylinder from a 67. Anything special that I need to do? I was thinking a short extension for front lines and I'm not sure about the push rod.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief

Not really just have to run new lines from the junction. If planning on disk brakes then also need a proportioning valve. Disk master cyl. is also different from all drum. I have manual disk brakes on mine but is not correct.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Disconnect rear brake line from junction block and plug opening in block. Extend line to new master cylinder. Connect remaining line to front brakes to other port on master cylinder. You’re done.

Old 06-19-2021, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a kit from one of the vendors for converting from a single to dual master. It just had the two prebent lines and the junction block.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you will be much happier if you go to the 1967 dual master cylinder and power brake booster.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Much safer too! I had a brake failure (line) that gave me NO BRAKES on my 64 GTO.
I have been using a 1967 manual dual master cylinder for at least 30 years. Very Happy.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Much safer too! I had a brake failure (line) that gave me NO BRAKES on my 64 GTO.
I have been using a 1967 manual dual master cylinder for at least 30 years. Very Happy.

Tom V.
That's what I'm putting in right now. A 67 dual MC manual brakes.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I think you will be much happier if you go to the 1967 dual master cylinder and power brake booster.
Once I get the dual master cylinder installed can I add the brake booster later?

Old 06-25-2021, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't recollect if it is the same master cylinder for both power and manual. I bought a nice combo on ebay with a correctly plated booster for about $140 delivered a few weeks ago I'm converting one of my '64s from single reservoir manual brake master to dual master power brake