Old 06-28-2021, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1962 tri-tone red interior, what steering wheel color?

Should the steering wheel be maroon or red? Probably doesn't matter but its a convertible.

Looks like maroon is correct, but just want to confirm.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.

Last edited by webfoot; 06-28-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

What kind of car, year, model??

Old 06-28-2021, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1962 Catalina, its in my sig line.
I guess I figured it was all the same in the 1962 model year.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a low mile 1962 Super Duty Catalina that sold at a Mecum auction, I'd say the steering wheel looks correct. If you get a steering wheel re-cast these days they tend to make them with the translucent parts totally clear, but I think they would have been tinted red from the factory. https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0511-10...na-super-duty/

Old 06-29-2021, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the interior is really maroon and not red I would think the steering wheel would match the color. In 61 (and maybe 62) the PHS says the Catalina conv interior colors were red & ivory in coated fabric (i.e vinyl). No maroon for the Catalina as that color was offered in leather in the Bonneville and described as red & burgundy.

My 61 has what the factory called red & ivory although I would call it maroon or burgundy and ivory. It is the Ventura tri color so is has two shades of maroon/burgundy. The original steering wheel matched the dash color although over the years that color fades to a really nice copper. You have to take it off and look at places where the sun don't shine to see the original color. But I stumbled upon a nice repop at a good price that matches the dash color. Although like Stuart says the clear portion of those is really clear with n hint of tint.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuart, I haven't seen an original wheel but that just looks like it has yellowed over time. Beautiful car however!

My 62 has the original rear seat covers on them and though they are not worth saving - the colors are primarily red, maroon, and ivory is just an accent color. I do have the original (cracked) dash pad and it is also maroon.