The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-14-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Removing Rustoleum Enamel Clear.

Ok, my car has I am thinking original paint. It now has a heavy coat of spray can clear. Orange peel and all. What I am doing is trying to get back to the original dull, chipped, crappy paint that it had when I originally sold it. My question is the area surrounding the brighter red is that the clear coat that doesn't seem to want to come off ? I started wet sanding with 400,quickly switched to 1000. Very little of the burgundy is coming off, when I see pink I stop, which might explain the remaining clear. I expect to fail, but I am not getting this car painted. So before I totally ruin it I just want to know if that darker stuff is clear or did the clear somehow affect the original paint. It is enamel Rustoleum Clear.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5782[1].jpg
Views:	222
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	569738

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5783[1].jpg
Views:	205
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	569739

Old 07-14-2021, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be able to use a polisher and #2 compound (3m type). Its a tall task either way.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Once your sanding hits the original color it’s too late, you have affected the color imho. That’s why it appears lighter further from your clear edge.

This is a futile effort imho. Only solution is to strip and repaint.

Don

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 07:46 PM

Yeah I figured it was a lost cause. I looked close before sanding any other spots and saw discoloration in the paint/clear. I am just going to try and remove the grapefruit peel and let it be. Just can't bring myself to taking off the original crap paint. The next owner can do that, thanks for the help. Paint job is toast anyway. lol