Old 07-16-2021, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 66 front upper control arm bolts

These bolts are splined below the head where they pass through the frame bracket to prevent them from spinning when the nuts are tightened/loosened. Over time this press fit can get sloppy allowing the bolt to spin in the hole in the bracket. I have seen guys tack weld the bolt head to the frame bracket to solve this issue,, but I really hate to do that to my freshly powder coated frame. Any other ideas on how to solve this?

Old 07-17-2021, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are only splined to aid in front end alignment. Once tightened after the alignment you will probable never loosen them again. If you have to they can be held with a wrench to tighten or loosen.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would put some Loc-tite green sleeve locker on the stud splines and then use a wrench to hold the bolt end while I tightened the nuts as I performed the front end alignment. Set it and forget it.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thread is a little old but wanted to add that the splined bolts were an aid to faster assembly during the initial build. The bolts didn't come loose by accident but because the upper arm needed new bushings at some point in the car's life. You have two choices - either pull the exhaust out of the car so the bar has enough room to slide off the ends of the bolts, or simply knock the bolts loose and slide them in where the bar can be lifted up and out. As said above everything stays in place once the nuts are tightened on the bolts, and when the time comes to once again do a bushing replacement the bolts will be ready to slide out of the way.