Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using my new Acer 315 right now. If I click on any FB page, even my own, this is what pops up on my screen.

" Add a Mobile Number
We'll send you a text with a code to confirm the number belongs to you.
Country Code
United States of America (+1)
Enter number
Adding your number here lets Facebook use it to help you log in, protect our community, accurately count people who use our services, and assist you in accessing Facebook and opt-in programs, but not for purposes such as suggesting friends or providing ads. Only you will see this number on your profile. If the number added here is provided elsewhere across Facebook Company Products, it may be used for other purposes including suggesting friends or providing ads. "

We have a little flip phone. But we hardly ever turn it on. Just carry it on the road, in case we have an emergency. Sometimes we can't even get a decent signal here, especially inside the house. Have had to walk out in the yard with it, to get a signal.

I don't think it will make any difference. But, just for kicks, I may turn it on, wait for it to warm up, set it out on the front porch, then see what happens. Doubt it'll get me reinstated on Marketplace. But what could it hurt ? It's just info they are asking for.

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-23-2021 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I went ahead & sent our cell phone number, got the 6-digit code & entered it. They then asked me to upload a current pic of my face, which I did.

Here's the message I got back.

" We Received Your Information
If we still find that your account didn't follow our Community Standards, it will remain disabled.
We're always looking out for the security of people on Facebook, so until then you can't use your account. "

That's exactly the result I was expecting. No change.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds frustrating...you deserve to know why they banned your account or page.

Here's an online form that you might consider submitting...

https://m.facebook.com/help/contact/260749603972907

Old 07-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Sounds frustrating...you deserve to know why they banned your account or page.

Here's an online form that you might consider submitting...

https://m.facebook.com/help/contact/260749603972907
When I click that link I get a message saying: " We're Reviewing Your Request ". Says they'll make a decision within 24 hours. But it's already been over 2 weeks. It also shows the message I sent.

"Monday, July 5, 2021 at 6:51 AM
You replied
Would like to know exactly what it was that I did wrong, so that I won't do it again. ??? Was just trying to sell some items on marketplace. I'm NOT a dealer. Don't have a business. Just trying to sell some stuff I have & don't need. "

It also says:

"Your Violations

This comment goes against our community standards on spam."

That was posted Fri, July 10.

Here's the link they gave me where I found this info. It was labeled "support inbox".

https://www.facebook.com/support/

" Support Inbox
Welcome!
The Support Inbox is your place to get updates about things that you've reported, check and reply to messages from the Help Team, and see important messages about your account."

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-24-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
When I click that link I get a message saying: " We're Reviewing Your Request ". Says they'll make a decision within 24 hours. But it's already been over 2 weeks. It also shows the message I sent.
It hasn't been 2 wks since your request for info on being banned.

Quote:
"Monday, July 5, 2021 at 6:51 AM
You replied
Would like to know exactly what it was that I did wrong, so that I won't do it again. ??? Was just trying to sell some items on marketplace. I'm NOT a dealer. Don't have a business. Just trying to sell some stuff I have & don't need. "

It also says:

"Your Violations

This comment goes against our community standards on spam."

That was posted Fri, July 10.
Nicely written request Pony. The info you got back could possibly be the date and part of your initial infraction, some kind of statement or controversy taking place?

Quote:
Here's the link they gave me where I found this info. It was labeled "support inbox".

https://www.facebook.com/support/

" Support Inbox
Welcome!
The Support Inbox is your place to get updates about things that you've reported, check and reply to messages from the Help Team, and see important messages about your account."
They are just telling you this is the spot where dialog will take place between FB and yourself until this is resolved.

Remember this?
Quote:

Yeah, that would be a REAL good thing to know. But, since you can't talk to ANYONE at FB by phone, or chat with anyone at FB online, or communicate with anyone at FB in any way, how on earth could I ever find out what I did that caused me to be blocked ???????
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
Not the best help but I will try. Somewhat surprised you can't contact FB in any way. I don't FB but it just seems odd there is no support for issues concerning an account.
Are you sure???
You never see posts of success where people have gotten help, most of the time it's people that can't or wont put forth the effort to properly communicate or inquire.

Quote:
That's exactly the result I was expecting. No change.
I'm a little surprised you didn't already have a phone number associated with your account, that's pretty standard for just about any kind of online registration, email, etc.
Your viewpoint may be a bit premature without going through the motions and following FB's procedures to get this resolved. You don't seem at all impressed they've responded to your inquiry and now you actually have ongoing correspondence with Facebook, something everyone says "doesn't happen"?

Again, never been a proponent of FB, but now know more than I ever wanted to. Their rules don't seem to be overbearing but at the same time seem to have the safety and security of people at the forefront of their policies. With everything that's happened in your case, "all things considered", they're just trying to make sure, you are who you say you are. That may have become the biggest issue and will obviously factor in as you go forward. They'll likely review your case and get back with a determination.

So you do have a voice, and they are listening, be patient. If it does turn out your banned, ask for the duration, surely it's not all that bad.

Frank

Old 07-24-2021, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Marketplace now has just about a complete monopoly on personal for sale ads. My CL ads get very little response, nowadays. So, FB runs things exactly like they want to & there is not one single thing anybody can do about it. They don't have to communicate with users & they have enuff users so that they don't care if a lot of 'em quit using FB. I could quit, like many here have done. But, that would eliminate my access to friends FB pages & the for sale ads.
My adult kids buy and sell through "LetGo". My 28yo daughter-in-law has never had a FaceBerg account, son has never used the one he opened. Other son never uses his, runs an internet business with his own websites.

I killed my FB a couple years ago. Yes, it was painful, yes, my church uses it to communicate, yes, I have less interaction with distant family and friends. We do run a few ongoing group texts with all 4 kids and their spouses.

Also, wife and I got Samsung Note 4 phones when our last laptop broke, then 4 years later, a Note 8. We've gone 8 years without a computer. Have even typed up legal documents on these phones and used Sign Easy app and FAX apps to deal with legal matters.

Note phones were better and more stable than any personal computer we've ever owned. Only my job-supplied Dell laptop computer runs mostly OK (not perfect) but that's with professional support. And I have a company supplied iPhone that functions with our special apps pretty well, but I prefer the Droid for personal stuff.

You can live without a computer and FaceBerg. We're living proof. Just offering this info in case you want to rethink your technological life.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:00 PM
Senior Chief

Proved some time ago that with an Android phone, displaylink app, a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, and a 32" 1080p TV with HDMI inputs you do not need a computer. 512 GB SD card helps. Samsungs are very good for this.

Can just build a Win 10 desktop for a lot less than a cell phone. Linux/Chrome even less.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you guys are happy with your smart phones. I'm not considering going that route, at all.

I have enuff trouble reading stuff on my 15" screen, with the font size increased. Not about to try to do everything on a smart phone. Also like watching YouTube how-to videos on my 15" screen.

"...My adult kids buy and sell through "LetGo"..."

Never heard of that. Will check it out & see if there are many users in my area.

Well, I checked it out. There are some ads in my general area. Lots of 'em in Baton Rouge, about 3 hours from me.

I signed up. I can check out all the ads. BUT, in order to post an ad, here's what it says:

" To post items for sale, download the app. "

Well, I don't have a smart phone. So, does that mean I can't post an ad with my Chromebook ???

Sorry for the dumb question. But as far as I know, I've never downloaded an app. Is that something I can do on this Acer Chromebook ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-25-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default LetGo

Looks like LetGo is now OfferUp.

" What happened to Letgo?
Yes, it's true. Letgo is no longer available. ... “Bringing together the strengths and resources of OfferUp and letgo is an incredible opportunity that will help us reach our goal of creating the largest, simplest, and most trustworthy marketplace for local buyers and sellers.”Sep 1, 2020..."

Hey ya'll, I'll still need an answer to my dummy question . According to the info I see on the OfferUP site, I need to download the app. When I click on download the app, it asks for my mobile phone number, so they can text me a link.

" Post your items in as little as 30 seconds
We'll text you a link to download the app.

Phone number
(###) ###-#### "

So, my question is: Is there a way to download the app to this Chromebook ? Or, can you only post ads by using a smart phone ?

If I CAN use my Chromebook, somebody please tell me how ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-25-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Google Play Store on my CB3-532 Chromebook. But, when I pull up the OfferUp app, it says that it will not work on any of my devices.

So, unless there is a way that I'm not aware of, the ONLY way I could post ads on OfferUp is to buy a smart phone. That's NOT an option.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just opened the OfferUp web site and can search listings using my web browser.

Are you sure you need the app?

Looks to me you can register and use the service on the web without the app. If I click on "Log In" in the upper right corner I get a pop-up window with the option of "Continue with email".

Old 07-26-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I can shop & buy, with my Chromebook.

BUT, in order to SELL, you have to do it from a smart phone.

Although most Chromebooks made since 2019 can use some android apps, the OfferUp app will not download to my Chromebooks.

Not gonna get a smart phone, just to post ads on OfferUp.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:40 AM
Senior Chief

err, get link on phone, forward via email to your main computer ? Works for me

Old 07-26-2021, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
...BUT, in order to SELL, you have to do it from a smart phone.
...Not gonna get a smart phone, just to post ads on OfferUp.
I wouldn't either!

Hope FaceBook responds to your inquiry and lets you back on their Marketplace.

From your notes, it appears they thought your listings violated their spam policy. I'm baffled by that but do appreciate they try to stop spammers.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
err, get link on phone, forward via email to your main computer ? Works for me
Don't have a smart phone. Just have the cheapest flip phone Wal Mart had. Can receive texts, but as far as I know, it can't send Emails to my computer.

But hey, I'm a complete computer dummy. So, I could be wrong.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After doing lots of online searching, I've run across Google Voice.

If I understand it correctly, I can add it to my Chromebook, then I can send & receive calls & texts, on my Chromebook, using the same number as my flip phone.

I assume that I will receive the call or text, even when my flip phone is not on.

Any of you guys use Google Voice ? If you do, is the info I posted about it correct ???

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/how-d...gle-voice-work

Old 08-16-2021, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Marketplace

Still blocked from Marketplace & all related sites. Got this message today.

"Support Message
Today at 4:30 AM
Our reply
Hi Don,
It looks like your Marketplace tab was disabled for going against Facebook's Community Standards. Because of these violations, we can't re-enable Marketplace on your account at this time.
For more information on our Community Standards, please visit the link below:
https://www.facebook.com/policies/commerce?ref=cr
Thanks"

Still no idea of EXACTLY which one of their policies I violated, nor if I'll ever be able to use Marketplace sites again.

And still don't see any way to communicate with or reason with any living person at FB. They've got more users than they need & don't give a flip if a few million quit using FB. Without competition, monopolies do whatever they won't.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Android Simulator

Ran across some info about android emulators for Chromebooks. Seems these are VERY popular for those who wanna do gaming on a computer or laptop, rather that a smaller device.

Found the Acer 315 & my last CB3-532 model on a list that said they can run 'em. Tried to download some. The 1st one said my device is not compatible.

https://sites.google.com/a/chromium....710548939&rd=1

Next one seemed to download. But if it did, I can't find it. I think the name of it was Bluestacks.

https://bluestacks-downloadd.com/blu...ad-chromebook/

Can anybody here help this old computer dummy figure out if my Chromebook will use an emulator, and if so, the best one to use, and exactly how to download it, & how to use it to post ads on OfferUp ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-16-2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Android Emulator for Chromebook

The more info I Google up, the more confused I get.

Found some info about "ARC Welder". Very confusing.

https://www.howtogeek.com/214734/how...0expect%20bugs.

Also read some about "Android Studio", and a few others. Have no idea what might work and/or what would be best.

Just want a simple android emulator that will work on my Chomebook & allow me to use the same apps android phones use. NOT gonna use it to play games on. From my searching, it seems that playing games is the reason most average people use the emulators.

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-16-2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Well, as of right now, I can use this Chromebook to access any FB page not associated with Marketplace. It's the 2nd Acer Chromebook I bought.

Right now, I can't access ANY FB page, at all, with either the 1st or 3rd Acer Chromebook I bought. I'll name 'em #1, #2, & #3, for the order in which they were bought.

So, at this time, I'd rather let things cool off a bit, while still being able to use FB, except for Marketplace sites, than to take a chance on losing all access to FB.

So, I'll use the other Chromebooks #1 & #3 for everything else & use #2 mostly just for the FB pages I can access.

I love to buy from Amazon. They don't always have the best price on an item. But they have the best customer service of any big company I've ever dealt with. Any problem you have, you can call the number & talk to a live person without a long wait. And that person can usually fix your problem QUICK. I figure that's how they have become so big. Customers love good customer service.

If FB actually had any serious competition, they'd have to increase customer service drastically, or they'd lose all their business to a competitor which did have good customer service. But, they have no competition, therefore they see absolutely no reason to upgrade customer service. Sad but true.
have you tried to contact them via email or any other source? because as when I have a issue with FB I also contact them and solve my issue.

Closed Thread