67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default Do the Headlight Buckets Rotate?

Not too long ago I installed a new set of LED projector style headlights into my 1969 Firebird.

The lights are great, but I can't get the adjustment down on them unfortunately. The vertical and horizontal adjustment on the headlight bucket works fine, but my issue is how the bucket orientates the light itself. Both are clocked a couple degrees towards the drive side.

Since this is a projector style with a cut beam, this creates an angled light beam.

Are the buckets purposely aligned like this from the factory, or am I missing a rotation adjustment somewhere?

Old 10-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

Did the bulbs you replaced aim correctly? The bucket that holds the bulb only allows the bulb to sit in one position.. I just worked on a car where the bulbs were sideways. Two buckets were for a GTO not Firebird. The other two had the high beam bulbs In low beam buckets. I stitched the position on 2 and replaced the other with the correct buckets. All is good now.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The bulbs I replaced were aimed incredibly poorly, so I don't have a solid reference for that. Considering they were sealed beams I'm not sure the clocking necessarily matters. With the projector LED's in the car now, they have a hard cutoff line built in to keep light out of oncoming vehicle's eyes. That's where the issue is showing up now.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:28 AM
Senior Chief

Sounds like you have the same issue as the car I worked on. The buckets have 3 notches and the bulbs have tabs so they only install in one position. High beam and low beam buckets are different. The buckets may be switched ( high beam installed in low beam position) or Be from a different model car. Try removing one low beam and see if it fits correctly in the High beam bucket.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the tip. Just went out to the garage and it does appear that the outers are clocked while the inners appear straight. Looks like they might be installed incorrectly. Appreciate the knowledge on this!

Old 10-05-2020, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC the buckets are specific for each location in a 4 headlight system: left, right, high & low beam.

Someone may have put the wrong ones in sometime in the cars life.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reviving old thread - what is are the actual marks on the buckets for each position so I can check mine?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 06-21-2021, 10:45 PM
Senior Chief

The best way is have a hi beam bulb and a hi-lo bulb. Like said before by others - each bucket has indents to seat the Hi-Lo headlight and the Hi beam headlight correctly. They are only a little bit off from each other. Take a bucket which would line up attachment wise to either side. Put a hi-lo bulb in it and see if it locks in with correct positioning. If it doesn't, put the Hi beam in... Does it lock in correctly? If not likely not the correct bucket. This is the only way to determine which bucket goes where....hoping you have the correct set that is....