Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-15-2021, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DIY Wheel alignment tools

Anyone have any experience with the at home front end alignment kits. When I took my firebird a few years ago, the tech wouldnt listen to me on any custom alignment specs. Just today I took my 64 Galaxie in and they wouldnt do it at all. Their system needs to use the rear wheels and they couldnt get the tool on. because the rear wheels are half covered on that car.

So Im at the point now where I feel like if I spent $200 the tools will probably pay for themselves eventually.

But I want to know if the over the counter tools are actually any good before I spend the money.

Seems like in most cases you need one tool for caster/camber and another one for toe in.

https://www.amazon.com/Specialty-Pro...motive&sr=1-11

https://www.amazon.com/Zackman-Perfo...motive&sr=1-17

Im open to suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2021, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought this one based on the reviews, but have not tried it yet.

It looks to be a decent setup.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnh-3300

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 06-08-2021, 03:58 PM

I'm a little late to the party, but I bought a QuickTrick kit with dual frames and gauges and turn plates. The dual frames serve the same purpose as the toe plates referenced in both posts. However, after I bought the kit it dawned on me that this method sets toe relative to the other front wheel. I wound up stringing the car so I could set toe on each wheel independently and in relation to the rear wheels.

The frames can mount inside the lip of the wheel or between the wheel and bead. I found mounting between the wheel and bead to be more stable. Having that option might be something to consider. I'd also recommend the turn plates. They'll make the job more accurate and easier.

I'm happy with the results, although I could have saved some money on one frame and gauge.

BTW, I was in the same boat. The only alignment guy I knew and trusted that was familiar with classic cars and would use custom specs retired.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in the same spot. I had originally bought a Quick Trick . Not consistent doing the camber sweep even using their wheel bracket. The wheel turns slightly so correcting for straight up and down was inconsistent. I bought a Longacre caster/camber that has a magnetic attachment that you zero for level then read the angle . Also a better wheel attaching bracket for about $110 off Ebay/Amazon that you can use the magnetic attachment on.Turn plates make a world of difference, even over using double garbage bags under the tires. You can find some for a little over $100 on amazon/Ebay. I string it to get front to front the same on each side and use the Quick Trick brackets and tape measure for that.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have over the years used very primitive and very sophisticated tools to align cars. Your alignment is only as good as your floor is level. To set camber would require a lot of work to set it accurately. Caster would be an absolute crap shoot. If you do it correctly you can get toe to come out right. Skip these chain stores and look for the shop that has been in business for years. Ask around you should find someone that's good.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a tire company near me and they have the most "State of the Art" Hunter alignment equipment. The heads attach to the outside of the tire instead of attaching to the wheel lip itself, which is nice when you have modern wheels that are lipless a lot of times. So, what's the problem? The only two guys performing alignments are friggin' morons. Might as well take that machine and throw it in the dumpster!!! Sorry just venting...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars