Old 06-09-2021, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Roof support insulation

I removed the old jute insulation jammed between the roof and the roof supports on the interior. Of course now my roof is oil canning when I sand it ... what are people replacing the old jute with? My GTO had about 1/4" of it stuffed in there.

Old 06-09-2021, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My original insulation was in good enough shape that I just left it. Looks like Ames sells a replacement (V130L) for $53. I would think that Dynamat or an equivalent might be a good alternative that would add more rigidity than the original stuff.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I took a good look at it tonight, the main support that runs side to side seems pretty tight against the roof. The two pieces that go front to back are pretty flimsy in the middle and are where what appeared to be a solid piece of mat ran between it and roof ... which must have been installed at the factory BEFORE the supports were added ... the way little pieces are still sandwiched in there.

Anyway, yeah, I was thinking something like Dynamat might work. Will it stick to the roof well enough not to fall down onto the headliner on a hot day? The original felt was pretty light and had tons of glue on it.