Old 06-13-2021, 01:43 PM

Default 1969 Firebird Neutral Safety Switch

Hi.
I installed a new Neutral safety switch on my steering column as my back up lights did not work. The issue I am having with the new one is the screws that go on each side screw into a plastic clip and it doesn't hold the switch in place therefore not allowing me to start the car? Picture of the clips attached

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Columnclip1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	568163   Click image for larger version

Name:	columnclip2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	568164  

Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Reverse switch mounting

The close up pic of the reverse switch on my column (before cleaning and painting), the entire column picture is after. I'm not sure but I believe you are referring to the two screws that actually mount the switch to the column itself. Yours looks different from my original so I'm not quite sure of your situation? Could you add some more pics of the assembly? You have to be careful with aftermarket because a lot of times they say it will fit Camaro, or Firebird, it doesn't! I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3505.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	568170   Click image for larger version

Name:	297.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	568171  

Old 06-14-2021, 12:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Must've been half asleep when I read your post, thought you said reverse switch, sorry. The neutral switch you're showing, is it for an automatic?

Old 06-14-2021, 09:52 PM

Yes.. you are correct..

Old 06-14-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport69 View Post
The close up pic of the reverse switch on my column (before cleaning and painting), the entire column picture is after. I'm not sure but I believe you are referring to the two screws that actually mount the switch to the column itself. Yours looks different from my original so I'm not quite sure of your situation? Could you add some more pics of the assembly? You have to be careful with aftermarket because a lot of times they say it will fit Camaro, or Firebird, it doesn't! I hope this helps.
You are correct.. so nice to find someone who actually knew what I was taking about.. I need the two clips in Metal plus the actual correct screws that go into the column.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clips.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	568238  

Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Must've been half asleep when I read your post, thought you said reverse switch, sorry. The neutral switch you're showing, is it for an automatic?
Yes.. turbo 350.. auto on the floor

Old 06-14-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
My clips are plastic and the two screws don't hold
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Columnclip.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	568239  

Old 06-15-2021, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just use a slightly bigger screw? Or put in a bit of liquid plastic to replace the missing material?

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 06-15-2021, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ALLTHINGSPONTIAC, I would do as North said, plus you could also take a long black zip tie, or hose clamp and wrap around the mounting points and the column for reinforcement. It's underneath the dash, and if it's a black tie or (painted black) clamp it shouldn't be noticeable. It will get you driving in any case, if you can come up with the metal clips later you can fix it correct then.

Old 06-15-2021, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was your Firebird always an automatic? Is it column shift, or console floor shift? Does your reverse switch look like this, or is it different? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the whole scoop.
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1969...p/das-284c.htm

Last edited by Sport69; 06-15-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think that switch is actually both reverse and neutral safety combined. A manual trans car uses a switch that only has the two side by side blades for the green and pink wires and a separate switch for the purple and purple/ white wires.That switch is mounted on the pedal support bracket.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly, On a manual trans car that switch on the column serves only one purpose, to turn on the reverse lights at the appropriate time. The function of a neutral safety is performed by a separate switch mounted on the pedal bracket the only allows the starter to crank when the clutch is fully depressed.

On automatic trans cars the switch on the column performs both as a reverse light switch and as a neutral start safety control. It performs this second function by only letting the starter to crank when the transmission is in neutral or park.

All this was possible because of linkage that tied transmission shift position to rotation of the lock tube in the steering column.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 06-16-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Was your Firebird always an automatic? Is it column shift, or console floor shift? Does your reverse switch look like this, or is it different? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get the whole scoop.
https://www.firebirdcentral.com/1969...p/das-284c.htm
That's the switch I replaced exactly. Automatic on the floor

Old 06-16-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Exactly, On a manual trans car that switch on the column serves only one purpose, to turn on the reverse lights at the appropriate time. The function of a neutral safety is performed by a separate switch mounted on the pedal bracket the only allows the starter to crank when the clutch is fully depressed.

On automatic trans cars the switch on the column performs both as a reverse light switch and as a neutral start safety control. It performs this second function by only letting the starter to crank when the transmission is in neutral or park.

All this was possible because of linkage that tied transmission shift position to rotation of the lock tube in the steering column.
yes.. to this .. On automatic trans cars the switch on the column performs both as a reverse light switch and as a neutral start safety control. It performs this second function by only letting the starter to crank when the transmission is in neutral or park.

The doesn't help with how to secure the Reverse Neutral safety switch to the column ?

Old 06-16-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
ALLTHINGSPONTIAC, I would do as North said, plus you could also take a long black zip tie, or hose clamp and wrap around the mounting points and the column for reinforcement. It's underneath the dash, and if it's a black tie or (painted black) clamp it shouldn't be noticeable. It will get you driving in any case, if you can come up with the metal clips later you can fix it correct then.
a zip tie would not have the strength needed to hold the switch in place..
I tried a hose clamp I painted black.. it didnt secure it tight enough. It would allow me to start the car once.. drove it.. the stopped and it somehow gets loose. the would have to move the switch by hand to get it to start

Old 06-16-2021, 08:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The mounting parts should be on almost all Saginaw built columns from 69 to the late 80’s.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Schab View Post
The mounting parts should be on almost all Saginaw built columns from 69 to the late 80’s.
Any suggestions as to wear to find parts for the column like I need?

Old 06-17-2021, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTHINGSPONTIAC View Post
That's the switch I replaced exactly. Automatic on the floor
Te description says that switch is for column shift cars, is it the same switch or a different one for console shift?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do you have any self service salvage yards near you ? I would think that there would be a lot of them in those types of yards. The metal ones will be harder to find than the plastic ones.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTHINGSPONTIAC View Post
Hi.
I installed a new Neutral safety switch on my steering column as my back up lights did not work. The issue I am having with the new one is the screws that go on each side screw into a plastic clip and it doesn't hold the switch in place therefore not allowing me to start the car? Picture of the clips attached

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Can you fabricate a set like these plastic ones only using spring steel with a holes drilled for self tapping screws? It will have to be a heavier spring steel.
Closest thing I've come up with on the web are these, but they're for a manual transmission.
https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...kaAgrVEALw_wcB