Old 06-21-2021, 07:12 AM

Default New power steering pump headaches

I installed a new pump when I did the motor over and now that the motor is running great it is time to get the power steering straightened out.
The problem is that when turning left It works great, turning right it seems very tight. I jacked up the car and left the tires just touching the ground and everything seems to be fine. I have drained the pump and refilled it while turning the wheels without the car running, still no luck. The next thing to try is taking the lines off the box and operate it that way to see if something is clogging it and refill. Belt is tight and all hoses are new.

Anyone have other suggestions that I have not thought of?
Thanks, Mark

Old 06-21-2021, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whenever you break connections in the power steering pressure line(s) your going to introduce air into the system.

Any new or rebuilt pump will be full of air. Did you purge all the air out of the new pump (the fluid) before you started the engine for the first time?

Starting an engine with a bunch of air in the pump puts 100s if not 1,000s of tiny air-bubbles into the fluid.

Air mixed with power steering fluid can cause the power-assist to act funny.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:57 PM
Senior Chief

If you have normal operation one way and no assist the other way you have a spool valve problem in the steering box.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Would need to feel it, more common for me is I try to prefill and pump some through and then first time it will go violently left or right (can break fingers if not carefull) but can usually work it out once it quits whining.

Fortunately for the next step I have many different hammers....

Old 06-21-2021, 06:29 PM

Thanks Guys, I've tried purging the air out of the system several times, and am starting to lean toward the spool in the steering box. The problem with that is before I changed the pump I never had a problem with the power steering. A friend has volunteered a steering box out of a 68 GTO, which I gather is the same as my box. I think I will still try the removal of the lines at the box and purge that once and refill. Nothing to loose except some fluid.

Thanks again, Mark

Old 06-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Senior Chief

If care your car probably came with a Saginaw 800 steering box. I have an 808 in my Judge now just because I had one.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:42 PM

I gather the 808 is the quick box? It would be nice to find one of those if I am going to the trouble of changing it.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:41 PM

Just an update for everyone, the power steering seems to be fixed!!
I disconnected the hoses at the box and let the pump drain. Then put a piece of newspaper over the open ports of the box, jacked the car up till the tires just touched the floor and purged the box of all the fluid in it by turning the steering wheel back and forth till there there was nothing in it. I reconnected the hoses and with the car still up on the jack put fluid back in the pump, all the while moving the wheels back and forth with the engine off, adding fluid as needed. When there was no more air burping back into the pump I topped the pump off and started the engine going thru the same movements again. I then put the car down on the tires, topped off the pump again and now have great power steering movement.
One more project fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, Mark