Old 07-07-2021, 03:39 PM

Default Instrument Panel Bezel Removal: '67 GTO

Can someone tell me how the trim bezels are removed for the cigar lighter, headlights, wipers? Do they pry off or twist off? So are they threaded or just push on and pull off. I don't to ruin the new wood grain applique by doing something incorrectly. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

You have to unscrew the cigarette lighter from the back while holding the inside front. Wiper switch bezel is he.d on with a nut. Headlight switch; push the button on top of switch to remove the knob and rod, then unscrew the retainer nut.

Old 07-07-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did these on my '66 dash the other week!

- Headlight switch: Pull knob all the way out to the "on" position. Then reach behind the dash and press & hold the spring-loaded button that will allow you to fully remove the knob with shaft attached. Then you will have access to the threaded retainer nut on the front side of the dash that holds the switch to the dash bezel. See photo below.

- Wiper switch: Rotate the knob so that you can see/access the small set screw at the base of the knob that keeps it attached to the switch shaft. Use a very small flat-blade screwdriver to loosen the set screw, then remove the knob. you will then have access to the threaded retainer nut on the front side of the dash that holds the switch to the dash bezel.

- Ignition switch: Rotate the trim bezel counter-clockwise to unscrew and remove it.

- Cigar lighter: Disconnect power source and remove lighter element. Then while sticking something inside the lighter to keep it from spinning, reach behind the dash and unscrew the outer shell. This can be difficult, since the outer shell is essentially a sleeve for the inner part, and they can get stuck or corroded to one another pretty good. Once you separate the inner & outer sleeves of the lighter, push the inner sleeve out through the front of the dash, which will bring the chrome bezel with it.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-07-2021, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wanted to add that the ignition switch lock cylinder must be removed before removing the ignition switch. You will not be able to remove the bezel ring without doing that first.
Insert the key into the cylinder, turn it to the left and push the end of a paper clip into the little hole. You should feel the springiness pushing back a little. Push the paper clip in against the spring and turn to the left. It should come out.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the clarification, Sprint. You are correct. I forgot that step because you do not need to remove the ignition lock cylinder to remove the bezel ring with my reproduction ignition switch. But I checked my factory original switch and there you do indeed need to remove the ignition lock cylinder first. Good catch.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-09-2021, 03:58 PM

Thanks. These are really helpful. I plan to start on this over the weekend.