Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-17-2021, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bair_mike@yahoo.com View Post
I bought one from KellinPerformanceTrans and sad to say my tranny didn't work then wouldnt honor his warranty and I got ripped. A professional transmission shop local to me thinks he uses salvaged parts from other junk transmissions mixed with some new parts for his rebuilds and hopes they work. I was told Kellin only delivers so people don't see his shop is really just a junk transmission collection and not a real working transmission shop. Buy your tranny elswhere or plan on spending double whatever he quotes you.
Guy sounds like a couple "transmission builders" I know. They buy a basic TransGo kit and mix and match with used parts from multiple core transmissions and call it a performance build.. Those guys are thankfully running out of gas these days as used the supppy f used ores cores dries up..

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 06-17-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bair_mike@yahoo.com View Post
I bought one from KellinPerformanceTrans and sad to say my tranny didn't work then wouldnt honor his warranty and I got ripped. A professional transmission shop local to me thinks he uses salvaged parts from other junk transmissions mixed with some new parts for his rebuilds and hopes they work. I was told Kellin only delivers so people don't see his shop is really just a junk transmission collection and not a real working transmission shop. Buy your tranny elswhere or plan on spending double whatever he quotes you.
i did goto his shop and it was a bit sketchy looking like an old barn.. however i did see what looked to be a decent working space.. and well organized etc.. granted this was a good few years ago now.. but i will say over all i have been really happy with the trans.. not one problem and have about 3-4 years now and probably 8000+ miles and take on long trips that are 150 miles.. away.. and have had it 100+ many times .;-).. never on the track but gave it some abuse.. still feels great.. sorry you had a bad experiance with them.. that sucks..

chris

Old 06-24-2021, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"I install a Kevlar HD band, and a hardened intermediate sprag race. I also install a wide low/reverse sprag. This combination will hold up to 700ft lb torque. The 36 element sprag is only necessary when you are at a 800 hp level. The cost is $600."

BIG flag goes up right here. He is clueless as to the capabilities of the TH350 right to start with. The TH350 intermediate sprag is a sore spot in any "high performance" application and the hardened race doesn't help much as the real problem is poor load distribution.

The TH350 case is also weaker than a TH400. Tread softly in that area if you plan on using one with big power levels and it will see good traction.

The low/reverse sprag isn't involved with a shift and the real sore spot down there is the case lugs, not the sprag. It's actually rare to find a TH350 case where the lugs aren't hammered out some. I use and prefer to install a 4L60 bolt in center support and the wider sprag at the same time, fixes everything down there.

The hardened intermediate sprag race still fails as the factory roller clutch doesn't distribute the load very well. I tried that deal behind a 455 making enough power to push 3800lbs of car into the 10's and we got about 70 runs out of it before it exploded. (Pic attached) Look at how much stronger and well distributed the load is with the 36 element sprag/drum and the spiral lock is icing on the cake to keep it in place.

There are literally hundreds of transmission, engine, carburetor "builders" associated with this hobby that are moonlighting. Some are excellent, some OK, others need to keep their day jobs for sure. Sorting thru them and trying to find out which is which, good luck with all that.

The area I live in has a lot of folks "moonlighting". As an example there is a local carburetor "builder" here, he also does engines. Sadly I had one of his "406" SBC builds brought here a few years ago because he did it for someone I know. What a complete pile of bovine excrement that thing was, right down to the aftermarket chrome dipstick that has only being held in the block by a pound or so of RTV and he also failed to realize that a 400 SBC requires an externally balanced flywheel!

He doesn't use good parts in his carb builds and doesn't even own the tools to install bushings for the baseplates to tighten things up there. I've had a few brought here over the years and every single time they had multiple issues starting out with the wrong parts, low quality parts, and excessive play at the primary shaft. It always made me wonder how many folks were just dealing with the issues or really don't care. I guess it doesn't matter when you are only paying $40 for labor plus a cheap carb kit from Pep Boys........FWIW.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 6-47.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	568754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 6-49.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	568755  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),