Old 04-13-2002, 09:12 AM

what to look for when buying a 77 g/p is 2900.00 in the ball park

Old 04-13-2002, 09:12 AM

what to look for when buying a 77 g/p is 2900.00 in the ball park

Old 04-13-2002, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is a clean RUST FREE lower mileage totally original car car without a 301 engine in it and everything works then you are in the right ballpark. 400 engine is worth more than 350 and 455 more than that. Drive drive drive then stop and look for Rust with a flashlight and floor jack or better yet a lift. They are great cars and you will enjoy . A decent cash offer and time may get you a deal. I always use this one. I really love that car and it is probably worth what you are asking BUT all I can scrape up is $2100. in hundred dollar bills. Can you take that I have the money right here.??

Old 04-16-2002, 11:04 PM

also the sj/lj are worth more than the plain g/p or model j. the sj is the sport model[buckets console, heavier suspension], the lj is the luxury model..
check for rust/ putty in front of the rear wheels and at the lower rear corners of the front fenders, under the vinyl top. 2900.00 should buy you a decent car. mike

[ April 16, 2002, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: mike nixon ]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Senior Chief

Things to remember about a 1977 GP. There were almost 289,000 sold in 1977 alone, so they are far from rare, and will never be worth a mint. They are nice riding large cars, and parts are plentiful. All the Pontiac powered cars inc. the 301 came with a TH400 Trans. Most came loaded with options. Things to avoid: any of them with the 301 slug unless it is absolutely dirt cheap, they rust like most of GM's finest cars of the era, under the half vinyl top is the worst, also the windshield frame. Floors and trunk floors tend to rot. Many came with buckets/consoles and A/C.1977 GP's could have been equipped with a plethora of engines. The 301 was standard equip, the 350/400 Poncho,or 350/403 Olds(Calif.)being optional.

Old 04-20-2002, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I a "garage space crunch" two years ago I sold my 77 SJ with sunroof, nice original car with original paint and interior, essentially rust free for $1500...took about 9 months to do it....Had a 400, biggest available in 77, 455 went out in 76. I sold it to a friend, who DROVE it to FL from PA dragging a U haul, with no problems. This car had 125k miles on it when I sold it. Granted i could have sold it for that locally quicker, but I figured to give it away, it should go to someone who appreciates it. Considering this, I'd hit this car with a much lower offer, and I'd show the latest Old Cars price guide info to the seller..

#4 car is $1600, #3 is 3200. #1 car would be $8000. Most cars out there are #3-4. Unless this car is really pristine, having paint on it that is actually quite nice, it's not worth the $2900, all the previous advice taken in account. Avoid 301 like the plague. Thinwall design and toothpick crank add up to low powered junk. It's not even good enought to make a Toyota out of...well maybe.... but you get the point.

If the quarters have any rust at all in them, pass. Good luck finding a replacement, then you pay about $500-$800 for it...Then you pay to install... Trim is tough to find too.

Just my two cents. My 77 GP was a real pleasure to own, stone cold reliable, classy and fun. But a 70 Le Mans with a drop top and a clutch pedal sent her packing. Can't keep them all but to avoid that in the future, I built a(nother) garage.