Old 08-12-2023, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '69 Riviera GS Steering Box Swap to '65-70 Big Un's - ?

Apparently, this swap is a deal in the Buick community - IIRC, the GS had the first of the GM variable-ratio steering boxes.

Anyone heard of this for our cars? I got busy and missed a '69 GS that was being cut up for the crusher, but I see others being parted in the FB forum.

Thinking a real fast box 12.7 might be a bit fast for all that steel... the VR might be the ticket (as well as the switch pitch convertor from earlier models.)

Any info appreciated!

Old 08-12-2023, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Switch pitch convertor is only 65-67 and requires a special front pump to go along with it, as well as an electric soleniod that activates it. There's more to it than just replacing the convertor. All of these parts are no longer produced last time I checked, so junkyards, and individuals that saved them are the only source.

Here's a discussion on the H.A.M.B. about the switch pitch option:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-pitch.674586/

I've quickened the steering in a few cars over the years, I've never found that quick steering was a drawback in any way. The quicker you can correct steering the less likely you're going to hit whatever you're trying to avoid. Typically my race cars were 2-2.5 turns lock to lock. When you're driving a go kart, you adjust to the fast steering as soon as you start driving it. Humans adapt quickly to changes like that.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-16-2023, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost every saginaw gear box is a direct bolt in. I have the jeep GC box in mine, which was made popular by the chevelle (likely all GM a-body) crowd, so its not surprising there are others that fit.

The 1995 JGC box bolts right into my 62 cat and I can use my 62 pontiac pitman arm.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a switch pitch T400 in my 1967 supercharged GTO when I was racing it and street driving it. It worked very well. I only change it when I went to an overdrive transmission with a lock up converter.