Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Horrible Customer Service Experience

I ordered several items last week and neglected to add two items that intended to. Followed up via within 2-3 hours asking to have them added and politely asked to have the shipping waived - first time I have ever asked for this - was told the following morning that the additional two items would be $10 in shipping. Callled and spoke to someone was told they'd send them snail mail which would be half but that I would still have to pay. Followed up in writing via email at least 3 more times asking to whom I should escalate this to etc., etc. and still have not heard anything back, no response at all.

Conservatively I'd say I've ordered 20-25K in parts over the last 5-6 years from Ames. I have never experienced such a total lack of response from any company over a minor complaint. Again, it's the lack of response and the this is my "first and final offer" approach to the customer that's frustrating.

I'll be going elsewhere whenever possible for Pontiac parts going forward

Old 03-14-2017, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoreilly View Post
I ordered several items last week and neglected to add two items that intended to. Followed up via within 2-3 hours asking to have them added and politely asked to have the shipping waived - first time I have ever asked for this - was told the following morning that the additional two items would be $10 in shipping. Callled and spoke to someone was told they'd send them snail mail which would be half but that I would still have to pay. Followed up in writing via email at least 3 more times asking to whom I should escalate this to etc., etc. and still have not heard anything back, no response at all.

Conservatively I'd say I've ordered 20-25K in parts over the last 5-6 years from Ames. I have never experienced such a total lack of response from any company over a minor complaint. Again, it's the lack of response and the this is my "first and final offer" approach to the customer that's frustrating.

ok, 1. YOU ( not Ames) Forget to order 2 parts. ( legit or on purpose), and then you ask to get them shipped for FREE? are you SERIOUS?
2. Do YOU have any idea why this went this way? If your complete order was in stock, it went Directly to the Shipping dept, and was probably ALL boxed up and totaled by the time you sent a revision to your order. IF it was an open order, and they only needed to put another couple small items in same box, it may not have made a difference, or any difference.
You were offered snail mail at a reduced price..
Do you think ANY company does stuff for FREE? , ANY ? Company's do NOT Give away stuff they HAVE to Pay for ( Shipping)
Would be a sucker for a 3-8 % added price, for the words "Free shipping" on your order?
I know you folks in NY have 30+% STATE taxes... but maybe you should think a little about what keeps companies in business.
Most small parts that Ames sells are "LOST LEADERS" In other words they stock them Just to provide a convenient one stop shopping for the customer and make ZERO money on them, yes Zero.. They still have to make and print catalogs, and pay about 25 people ( a guess), plus overhead.
I hope this helps your understanding of things.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
ok, 1. YOU ( not Ames) Forget to order 2 parts. ( legit or on purpose), and then you ask to get them shipped for FREE? are you SERIOUS?
2. Do YOU have any idea why this went this way? If your complete order was in stock, it went Directly to the Shipping dept, and was probably ALL boxed up and totaled by the time you sent a revision to your order. IF it was an open order, and they only needed to put another couple small items in same box, it may not have made a difference, or any difference.
You were offered snail mail at a reduced price..
Do you think ANY company does stuff for FREE? , ANY ? Company's do NOT Give away stuff they HAVE to Pay for ( Shipping)
Would be a sucker for a 3-8 % added price, for the words "Free shipping" on your order?
I know you folks in NY have 30+% STATE taxes... but maybe you should think a little about what keeps companies in business.
Most small parts that Ames sells are "LOST LEADERS" In other words they stock them Just to provide a convenient one stop shopping for the customer and make ZERO money on them, yes Zero.. They still have to make and print catalogs, and pay about 25 people ( a guess), plus overhead.
I hope this helps your understanding of things.
In answer to your seemingly rhetorical question - yes, I'm serious. Perhaps you should have read the post and interpreted it more clearly before offering your opinion. The issue was the tone of the initial response to the query and total lack of follow up response to subsequent queries indicating - at least to me - a seemingly weak customer service. The additional cost itself was somewhat ancillary at that point. I have been in and managed people in client / customer facing business's my entire life and can assure you this is not how ANY documented event of customer dissatisfaction should be handled.

Lastly, although I appreciate it, I'm going to politely turn down the offer of a lesson in how a business gets run from someone who refers to a loss leader as "LOST LEADER"

Old 03-15-2017, 10:42 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:

Unfortunately after an order has shipped our hands are tied, Originally we had told you it would be the standard base shipping of $10 to ship the $46 new order and once you explained this did not meet your expectations we adjusted the shipping charge for you down to $5. With our shipping brackets you actually would have paid less in shipping with the $5 offer, If the additional items would have been added to the original order you would have jumped from $16 to $24.

With that being said I do apologize for the last email not being responded to, There was some confusion between that and the last phone call we had with you as to which was the last point of contact. Looking now I do see the email was sent approximately 4 minutes after the last phone call where we offered the $5 shipping.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All this over $5???

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
Unfortunately after an order has shipped our hands are tied, Originally we had told you it would be the standard base shipping of $10 to ship the $46 new order and once you explained this did not meet your expectations we adjusted the shipping charge for you down to $5. With our shipping brackets you actually would have paid less in shipping with the $5 offer, If the additional items would have been added to the original order you would have jumped from $16 to $24.

With that being said I do apologize for the last email not being responded to, There was some confusion between that and the last phone call we had with you as to which was the last point of contact. Looking now I do see the email was sent approximately 4 minutes after the last phone call where we offered the $5 shipping.

I appreciate the response and clarification. I did in fact send 4 emails after I spoke with someone on Friday morning none of which received a response. This is what prompted the frustration and not the charge itself

Thanks

Last edited by nmoreilly; 03-15-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
All this over $5???
and he's the one that forgot to order. smh

Old 03-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Zeek View Post
and he's the one that forgot to order. smh

smh, are you kidding me ? With all the profitable business I've given them over the last several years and never having asked for any type of discount or favor it would have killed Ames to eat $5 or at the very least respond to one of my 4 written enquiries ? gmafb.

I didn't realize this was the "Ames employees and relatives forum". I'll be sure to only post "compliments" going forward

Old 03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not an employee, or related to anyone that is affiliated with Ames.

I am a long time customer that has spent several thousands of dollars with them.

Why should Ames cover the shipping when you admitted that it was your error?

The old adage that you can't please everyone applies here.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
I am not an employee, or related to anyone that is affiliated with Ames.

I am a long time customer that has spent several thousands of dollars with them.

Why should Ames cover the shipping when you admitted that it was your error?

The old adage that you can't please everyone applies here.
Even they admitted they should have responded to the inquiry, which as I've ststed on multiple occasions now was the primary issue. It has nothing to do with "the old adage of you can't please everyone"

The "Don't criticize Ames under any circumstances" forum. BTW, it's not the first time something like that has been suggested. It seems those who have any type of legitimate feedback that is less than positive get run over in this forum for having a view

Last edited by nmoreilly; 03-15-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe you need to order parts from the Parts Place, they're great.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As a former employee of a parts place that does the same type of business, this issue does happen often. As a customer, you need to check your list as soon as you are about to hit the submit order button. If you forget to add something, you need to attempt contact as soon as possible, even if it is after hours. Some businesses strive for same day shipping and that is where this issue happens. If you order a pizza and forget a topping, you know that pizza will get made within minutes. The same goes for parts. I'm guessing you barely made the cutoff time for that same day shipping, a bad place to be in if you need to modify your order.
The only thing I am wondering is what parts did you try to add on. Was this a spark plug and a key blank or a bumper and trunk mat?
I'm trying not to take sides, just to share a different perspective.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
Maybe you need to order parts from the Parts Place, they're great.
Yeah that's a great idea then you can get cussed at over a 5 dollar part 😂

Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you called back 2-3 hrs later did your items ship already? I doubt it, so I can not see why they did not put the extra items in the box, but if the item shipped already then yes you have to pay for the 2nd shipping charge. Sorry to say, I used Ames 1 time, I think the part came from a slow boat from China. Don't you wish all places were like Summit. fast and free shipping over $100.00

Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
When you called back 2-3 hrs later did your items ship already? I doubt it, so I can not see why they did not put the extra items in the box, but if the item shipped already then yes you have to pay for the 2nd shipping charge. Sorry to say, I used Ames 1 time, I think the part came from a slow boat from China. Don't you wish all places were like Summit. fast and free shipping over $100.00
Be careful, you'll have the Ames deciples after you with type of heresy. Either that or lessons on how to run a successful business from those who refer to "loss leaders" as "lost leaders"

Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At the end of the Month, the revenue IS "LOST" and FYI some business models do call it LOST.
Drama class WAS over, but you like to beat a DEAD horse...

Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
At the end of the Month, the revenue IS "LOST" and FYI some business models do call it LOST.
Drama class WAS over, but you like to beat a DEAD horse...
Go back and read your initial response the "drama class" was being taught by you little man. You're pretty good at dishing it out, you should now learn how to take it in return

Old 03-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Be careful, you'll have the Ames deciples after you with type of heresy. Either that or lessons on how to run a successful business from those who refer to "loss leaders" as "lost leaders"
I just spoke the truth, If you make every business decision about profit, you will not have a business for long.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
I just spoke the truth, If you make every business decision about profit, you will not have a business for long.
I agree

A sustainable business needs to be profitable to be successful and I DO NOT agree in doing everything for free for customers who want everything for free. I do think however that exceptions need to be made for good, paying clients who provide a historicaly consistent annuity type revenue stream. I'm not trying to deemphasize the incredible amount of value that Ames has added to our hobby over the years and I am a huge admirer of Steve Ames and how he built his business. I think in my case and several others apparently Ames made a mistake and perhaps they should review aspects of their customer experience / service model.

Last edited by nmoreilly; 03-18-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-18-2017, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread reminds me of when Herman Munster would throw a temper tantrum, jumping up and down, plaster falling from ceiling saying " I want it, I want it, I want it" lol. Thanks for taking me back in time O"Reilly.