WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what i dont understand is that if ford spends a lot on advertising and they write good stuff about it and rag on the GTO then why do people consider the mags a good source. i thought the writers wrote how they felt about the cars until i seen they picked the toyota prius the top car 1 or 2 years in a row. thats when i stopped looking at them unless something catches my eye.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:46 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sal:
I drove both an 04 GTO and 05 Mustang GT the othe day. I'm in the market. I like the Mustang, it has it's looks. But I will tell you the Mustang GT has nothing even on the 04 GTO as far as fit, finish and power. I will wait to test drive an 05 GTO before I make my decision. The Mustang did look nice, but it did not seem to handle as good as the 04 GTO. Going around corners in the 04 GTO with it's IRS firmly plant the wheels to the ground, while the Mustang with it's live axle tends to jump around over bumps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My experience exactly, Sal. I drove both on the same day but unlike you I rushed right back to my local Pontiac dealer to snag the last Impulse Blue m6 in my area! You'll be quite satisfied with either the '04 or '05, though the '05's extra 50hp would be fun!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoeyD:
Well this topic has certainly fostered a lot of banter. Here's my take on it....

JoeyD <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I won't copy it again, but Joey, I couldn't have put it any better!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:00 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William Black:
To each thier own....it's rice. take off the rose colored glasses. bill......out! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! Yeah, Bill, it's rice alright ... rice in its stool! I just had fun humiliating a G35 today! Damn, I kinda like these rose-colored glasses, thank you very much!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I was looking at it on line, not in the book, I don't have the mag, yet. If the ads are only on line, then I'll admit my mistake.
However all this is a smoke screen to cover the fact that the GTO won in every catagory except the 'got to have one' catagory, which is certainly no more than his opinion!

If you guys that own old GTO's can't get past your prejudices, you should at least leave the people who do like them, alone. Let them enjoy thier very nice cars, and stay out of thier business. Did it ever occur to you, unless they ask your opinion, they probably don't want it!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good job! I like a guy that spouts off without really knowing what he's talking about. A real credibility enhancer.
Smoke screen? Hardly. Opinion? No doubt. Based on back to back driving, under controlled circumstances. What do you base yours on?
Prejudices? Read back, I said I didn't care for either car. I take it you don't own the "new" GTO either? What are you doing here?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Good job! I like a guy that spouts off without really knowing what he's talking about. A real credibility enhancer.
Smoke screen? Hardly. Opinion? No doubt. Based on back to back driving, under controlled circumstances. What do you base yours on?
Prejudices? Read back, I said I didn't care for either car. I take it you don't own the "new" GTO either? What are you doing here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've driven both cars, so I do have some background. I looked at CD online and saw the Mustang ads and assumed it was the same as the mag, if not, I apologize. Hell, I've been wrong before, unlike some on here. Credibility is not decided by a couple of opinions, your's or others. If you "read back", you will see that I said, "If you guys with old GTO's can't get past your prejudice...." I was refering to all, not just you, and if you don't harbor prjudice, then I wasn't talking to you, at all!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PS; For what it's worth, there were three Mustang ads in that mag, not the zero as was claimed here by David Jones, nice try though! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You specifically typed "mag", and said nothing about online. Then tried to make it seem as though I had fabricated my post. Credibility is determined in part by being completely truthful and not trying to make it seem that someone else is not when you really don't know.
Credibilty has nothing to do with someones opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you "read back", you will see that I said, "If you guys with old GTO's can't get past your prejudice...." I was refering to all, not just you, and if you don't harbor prjudice, then I wasn't talking to you, at all! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Randy. Really. Not talking to me? Sure seemed like it. Hard to see from your typed words that I wasn't included in your profound statement.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:36 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William Black:
Just got the latest AutoWeek and couldn't believe how hard they slammed the "05 GTO against the Mustang. "The GTO's steering wheel felt heavy, muddy, even numb, the Mustang's had a sharp, immediate turn-in feel and bristled with visceral sensations of the road at every turn." "it simply cannot match the Mustang for feel, style or value" And they wrap the story with: "Overall, the Mustang backs up it's looks with a handling performance that puts to shame the GTO's. It's no contest: The winner is the Mustang GT." They said lots more negitive things. " the styling is total blandsville. It leaves no impression whatsoever." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny you picked the most negative things said by two of the FOUR reviewers about the GTO. Why did you post the negative. How about posting what the other two had to say.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
From the moment you slide behind the wheel, crank that awesome small-block and fling it into a corner, you know this GTO shares little with its namesake other than you can havea bunch of fun behind the wheel. I had the pleasure of plying SoCal’s twisty land of canyon runners with a GTO, and it kept up with the best of the lot. Better still, the GTO sounds spectacular, the interior is simple and tough, and it doesn’t back down when taunted. Now GM throws in more horses! Oh, my: This could be the best sleeper sports coupe for the cash. —Dutch Mandel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>While so many are voting for the Mustang, I’ll take the GTO. Why? Because I love GM’s small-block V8 and I like the subtlety in the GTO’s shape. Call it dull if you want; if it had wings and spoilers and scoops and flares hanging all over it, people would complain about that, too. I also like the GTO’s roomier-than-Mustang interior. Mostly, though, I’m hoping the GTO wakes GM up enough to spawn a Camaro rebirth. —Wes Raynal <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Randy. Really. Not talking to me? Sure seemed like it. Hard to see from your typed words that I wasn't included in your profound statement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, still having reading issues, I see. I said, if you harbor no prejudice, then I'm not talking to you at all.

I still don't understand all the petty little nit picking, though, while avoiding the fact the GTO beat the Mustang in every way, but one guy's opinion. I guess if you smoke screen long enough, people will forget that? I doubt it.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Ah, still having reading issues, I see. I said, if you harbor no prejudice, then I'm not talking to you at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then don't make it sound like you are. Inability to clearly make a point............

Old 01-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Then don't make it sound like you are. Inability to clearly make a point............

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or possibly, inability to read and comprehend! Oh and by the way,............. shows a lack of ability to finish a thought, could be adult onset A.D.D.!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> quote: Then don't make it sound like you are. Inability to clearly make a point............
Or possibly, inability to read and comprehend! Oh and by the way,............. shows a lack of ability to finish a thought, could be adult onset A.D.D.! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a good possibility.

Take a breath and read your reply again Randy.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

David, I swear, I've never argued with my wife this much! I'm moving on, and I still love my Pontiacs, old and new!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:56 PM

This was a fun one to watch. A little sibling rivalry is good. Keeps you sharp.

Just remember that at the end of the day, you are still brothers who both share one very important thing in common. Your - our - common bond is the profound respect for the Pontiac GTO. The Legend.

There is no substitute, you know.

Here on the PY board, the good guys wear hats and hearts all about the Legend....the bad guys wear hats imprinted with those goofy little blue ovals.

Now get out there and kick some ass.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM

The GTO is a styling embarrasment for GTO fans. Aparently, GM has so many ugly cars they think this is nice. I wish they would've "bow-tied" the headlights just to pee us off more and make it more ugly. Performance is there...curb appeal...no! Bill
Old 01-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Senior Chief

The GTO is a styling embarrasment for GTO fans. Aparently, GM has so many ugly cars they think this is nice. I wish they would've "bow-tied" the headlights just to pee us off more and make it more ugly. Performance is there...curb appeal...no! Bill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets see...curb appeal. 2002 WS6 = approximately 16000 vehicles sold. First year revived GTO = approximately 14000 vehicles sold. Nah, didn't have as much curb appeal as the WS6. But then again how many of those WS6 owners traded in their cars on the '04? Guess they have no taste.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been a GTO fan since 1976 and my '04 does not embarrass me at all. I am absolutely elated that it is here.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Chief

Bill owns an older GTO, very few owners of old one's will admit the new one's are nice cars.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Randy, its not just owners of "old ones". Do you think its a conspiracy between owners of "old ones" to like the "new" one and just not admit it? Maybe a lot of the potential buyers in the U.S. are in on it also......

Old 01-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Bill owns an older GTO, very few owners of old one's will admit the new one's are nice cars.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Randy, I believe that you misspelled "Rice" in that statement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg