Old 06-14-2021, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Intake gasket moved

Been down on power this year. Checked almost everything. Last outing developed a vacuum leak. Traced it to the intake gasket. What a surprise when I pulled the intake off. The gaskets moved into the ports. When I put it together 2 years ago, I used gasket adhesive on the intake and dropped it on the engine. It looks like I over tightened the intake. I think I will use a light coat of silicon this time and not over tighten the intake bolts.

I have been down mph, now I know why. It still went 9.97 with a 1.34 60'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	568225   Click image for larger version

Name:	intake 2.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	568226  

Old 06-14-2021, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd say it loosened up after 1st install?
I'd put the adhesive on the gasket to head surface instead.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is your water crossover separated from the intake?

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-14-2021, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, water crossover is separate. It was a Tin Indian intake gasket.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of adhesive?

Used to be I would glue the gasket to the head, then put a little grease on intake side if I knew I'd be changing often.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used high tac gasket adhesive. Don't remember the brand. I am probably going to try a light coating of silicone on both sides this time.

I do remember looking down the intake after installation and all the ports where lined up with no gasket intrusion.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:07 PM
Suspended

I silicone my intake gasket to the head, ive never had a problem with it moving. I use whatever silicone i have........normally permatex ultra.

GTO George

Old 06-14-2021, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you take some extra time and since you have the old gaskets here what I have done to facilitate swapping manifolds at the track, but it will also allow you to drop the gaskets in place and not use any sealer as I have should you choose to do so.

Take the gaskets you want to run and bolt them down to the heads with washers, just tight enough to hold them well.

Next cut some of your old gasket up in such a way that it sits in place above the valley cover and below the paired intake runners to support the intake gasket.

When you get good fit then remove the intake gaskets and silicone those 4 spacers in place and let it set up over night.

Come the next day your set to just plunck the gaskets and intake on, and now if you want to play around at the track it’s a breeze!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 06-14-2021, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could put the gaskets on and tighten the intake, let it sit overnight. Next day take intake off and look at the impression on the gasket. That would show if there are any spots not being tight. (should be even compressed material)

I have had the valley tray interfere with an intake and not let it seat fully.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the china copy of the Felpro from ebay, and belt-sand the gaskets to match the ports.

Divider gets thin real good and has stayed put.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked the heads with a straight edge, perfect. Checked intake with long file, perfect. Set intake on with no gasket and mates flat to the heads. I put it back together using light silicone on both sides. Checked the ports with a bore scope and everything looks good. I will pull the carb from time to time to check with the scope.

What I did notice is the old gasket was still glued to the intake where it should be. The gasket delaminated and the head side moved. Don't ask me how or why but that's what I found. Almost looks like fuel softened it. We will see how long this one lasts.

Going to a gamblers race tomorrow night. Curious to see how much faster it will be.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I quit using those gaskets years ago . Fel Pro 1233 now, and have even reused them .

Old 06-15-2021, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same issue with my tin indian gaskets as well, initially i though it was because i had them doubled up because of my intake being machined way down, and didnt have enough compression to hold it in place? So i went back to using a single gasket and glued to head on divider area.

I had a guy locally scan an intake gasket and laser cut me a few sets and glue those to my intake. These would be nice to have a small groove milled and have an embedded rubber so they are reusable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210524_131811.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	568264  

6.27@107
9.97@131
Old 06-15-2021, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
I had the same issue with my tin indian gaskets as well, initially i though it was because i had them doubled up because of my intake being machined way down, and didnt have enough compression to hold it in place? So i went back to using a single gasket and glued to head on divider area.

I had a guy locally scan an intake gasket and laser cut me a few sets and glue those to my intake. These would be nice to have a small groove milled and have an embedded rubber so they are reusable.
I use Tin Indian intake gaskets (I just ordered a set).

GTO George

Old 06-16-2021, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a sample of your gasket to Cometic.They can make an exact duplicate in a material that has metal mesh in the middle.Have done several like this for engines that had intake gaskets walking.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Old 06-16-2021, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Car is back to where it should be. Picked up 3 mph on the top end, from 131 to 134. 60's remained the same at 1.34. Last outing it ran 9.97 at 131 with bad intake gasket. Last night I added 110lbs of ballast to keep the car in the 10's and ran 9.95 at 134. Lost first round with a .005 light, 9.98 on the brakes on a 10.00. Need practice at the stripe.
Car is only legal to go 10.00. No cage cert or license. Time to start playing with restrictor plates again. Car is set up for 10.0 index racing but i do bracket race also.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

Did it ever backfire- sneeze on a cold start, that could kick the gasket like that.