67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Default Build Update

I haven't posted here much lately, but thought I'd post some pics of my progress:

...Global West upper and lower tubulars, QA1 coilovers, and Wilwood 4 piston calipers with 10.75" drilled/slotted rotors.

I was basically replacing nearly every body panel on the car, so I ended up sending it to a local guy that builds new 1st Gen shells to have him build me a new shell from firewall to tail panel. I get the shell back next week. Take a look at his work, pretty amazing stuff: http://www.musclecarmetal.com/home.asp.

Phil

Last edited by 69TAPOSER; 11-11-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Phil,
Good work on that subframe. I see you are making progress. The QA1 coilovers are adjustable, right? The car is going to handle and stop great with that front end. What steering box will you use?
Better get the wheels and tires ready soon to roll that around.....
Rich

Old 11-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

Hi Rich-

Yes, the QA1's are adjustable (height) and they have a knob to adjust compression and rebound. I have a quick ratio steering box that came with the car, so I will probably use that.

Wheels are tough. Lots of choices and lots of measuring to do. I want the largest tire I can get in the rear without mini-tubbing. Like your car, I am going with a Ford 9". Mine is about 1" shorter than stock on each side, so I will need to figure back spacing once the rear is installed. I will be going with DSE 3" rear lowering springs and will adjust the front coil overs as needed. At the moment I am planning on 17" wheels in the front and 18" in the back with a fairly aggressive stance. Something like this, but with different wheels:

I am considering the new Torq-thrust Ms in black (the car will have silvergray paint):

...but I am hearing mixed things about American Racing wheels and their sizes are limited.

Phil

Old 11-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That frame looks really nice.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Phil,
You might want to check out Intro & Boze for wheels.
http://www.introwheels.com/
http://www.bozeforged.com/
Both are in S. CA. They offer many different sizes, styles and finishes.....
Rich

Old 11-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Oh yeah, they are on my list. I think I will need to "step up" to a nicer (i.e. more expensive) wheel to get what I need for spacing.

Thanks for the compliment Jim. Here's another shot of the subframe that I took this morning:

...Obviously taken a little too early, it is blurry.

Phil

Old 11-12-2006, 09:53 AM

Awesome work! Concerning the guy that builds your new 1 gen shell I´m not that convinced. Just flipped through his catalog of parts he distributes for First Gen Firebirds. Allready his first post - 1968 Chrome Air Cleaner Lid 400 H.O. 4-bbl - is NOT the correct one... Leaves a bad taste concerning his knowledge about our cars but of course doesn´t tell anything about his ability of doing magic with body parts.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Brandl
Awesome work! Concerning the guy that builds your new 1 gen shell I´m not that convinced. Just flipped through his catalog of parts he distributes for First Gen Firebirds. Allready his first post - 1968 Chrome Air Cleaner Lid 400 H.O. 4-bbl - is NOT the correct one... Leaves a bad taste concerning his knowledge about our cars but of course doesn´t tell anything about his ability of doing magic with body parts.
Thanks Tom.

Yeah, definitely don't equate his parts resell business and his shell building business. His sister runs the parts business and he mentioned this past Sunday that his sister just went through and added thousands of parts to their website (so I am sure there could be errors). The skills I am leveraging are his shell building skills. I have personally seen and inspected 3 of his shells (albeit they were Camaro shells) and the quality is undeniable.

Phil

Old 11-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job. I will be installing the same suspension set up you have in teh next few weeks. Any tips to pass along on installing the coil overs and control arms ???

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 11-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop
Nice job. I will be installing the same suspension set up you have in teh next few weeks. Any tips to pass along on installing the coil overs and control arms ???
They go in easy, just a couple things. If you are using a swaybay, set it in place before you get the shocks/rotors in, it is easier this way. Also, I used a larger aftermarket sway bar from PST and I had to trim the swaybar subframe mounts. They were hitting the lip around the opening for the springs on the subframe.

Also, this is a really stupid thing....I couldn't get the shocks to "reach" the towers on the frame. After spending days trying to compress the springs enough to bolt the shocks in....I realized that I didn't have the shafts pulled all the way out of the shock. There is very little "pre-load" on the springs, so they actually bolt up easy once you have the shafts extended.

I am heading over to see the progress on my shell this morning, I will have some update pics later today.

Phil

Old 11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

Not quite as far along as I had hoped, but it is good progress and the time delay is not Tony's fault. The sanblaster didn't get the skeleton turned around as quickly as he was supposed to so Tony was only able to get the floor done. Oh well, no big deal, the shell will be totally done by next Sunday!

Phil

Old 11-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Poser, nice work and your moving pretty quickly through this project...gotta be single no kidz When I did my cars up at 4 AM Saturdays/sundays to get the work done before the family came lookin' for me.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveK
Poser, nice work and your moving pretty quickly through this project...gotta be single no kidz When I did my cars up at 4 AM Saturdays/sundays to get the work done before the family came lookin' for me.
LOL, married with 2 kids (7 and 9). They like to "help."

I am farming out the body work and shell reconstruction, so I am just "monitoring" that progress. I have been doing the rest of the work a few late nights a week and some weekend hours.

Phil

Old 11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

The shell still isn't done, but it is getting closer!

Blasted and epoxied skeleton...

Phil

Old 11-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking real good Phil.

There's nothing like a new car!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Senior Chief

Getting closer to the shell being done...

Phil

Old 12-01-2006, 04:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Such a nice project...thanks, and keep 'em coming.

I am still waiting on buying 'my' '69 around the corner.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice !!!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Senior Chief

Tony will finish the shell reconstruction tonight!

Little do they know, this is their Christmas present this year... LOL

Phil

Old 12-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He is making great progress IMO. I am interested to see how the trunk and door gaps look. Will he be hanging those?