67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered
I am interested to see how the trunk and door gaps look. Will he be hanging those?

Me too!

Yes he is. I brought my doors to him over the weekend. The doors are solid originals that have been in storage since 1996. The hindges are repops, so we will see what he can do (I have heard that people prefer re-bushing the original hinges vs. the repops). Tony has had good luck with the repops though.

He did mention that the trunk lid is always a pain. He typicall has to grind down the corners of the lid and weld and reshape it to match the valley in the quarters. He sometimes has to do this with the doors too. According to Tony, there is quite a variation in consistency from panel to panel from the SAME manufacturer!

Phil

Old 12-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

The shell is completed and back at the bodyshop for seam sealing, primer, and final paint on the bottom, firewall and jambs. Tony did an AWESOME job on the shell. The body shop hopes to be done by January, but I am not holding my breath. The color will be Tungsten Grey Clearcoat Metallic w/ silver stripes as found on the new Ford GT. However, the stripe layout will be the original '69 Trans Am scheme. The bodyshop will install the subframe on the shell. Once I get it back to my garage (rolling), I will be working on getting the engine installed and get to work on the interior.

Tony had to re-use the old tail pan as they are not reproduced:

Lots more pics here: http://www.69firebirdbuild.com/page/page/4053037.htm

Phil

Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

I have been holding off with posting pics until some good progress was made...and I am glad to say the shell is in full primer...!

Up next is a bit more sanding, seam sealing, and final paint on the jambs, underside, and firewall.

Phil

Old 01-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

frekkin awsome

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Brandi.

Phil

Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Very nice, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the compliments...the shop is really making some progress this week.

Pics of the 3m rubberized coating from this morning:

Rockers are ready for rocker spray...

Props to my man "Nam" for donating his fingerprints via a lot of hand sanding...

They will be spraying sealer and paint tomorrow! (jams, firewall, and underside)
Phil

Old 02-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

Default PAINT!!!

Final paint has been applied on the firewall, jambs, underside, rockers, and trunk. The shop needs to spray the dash and then she'll be headed home for assembly by weeks end.

Not the best pics as the flourescents in the spray booth were still warming up (it is only 12 degrees here!)...

Phil

Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to blackbird455

I have to say WOW that is turning out to be a outstanding car. Keep posting updates it great to see aproject coming along so well. Steve

Old 03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I have to say WOW that is turning out to be a outstanding car. Keep posting updates it great to see aproject coming along so well. Steve
Thanks Steve!

I was on vacation with the family all of last week, so not a ton of progress, but the car is now in my garage and I have installed the Dynamat:

...Some advice, WHERE GLOVES WHEN INSTALLING! My hands are covered with tiny paper (or aluminum) cuts. It took me a lot longer to install than I expected...about 10-12 hours. And I still need to do the doors and roof. I have 2 pieces left after purchasing 2 bulk packs (72 sq ft total), so I will end up using about 2.5 boxes total. I installed it under the cowl and up to the dash in the front. I have some 3M rubberized spray that I will be using on the interior on the qtrs. and hinge area.

Up next is to install my new harness from American Autowire (the one with the connectors already intalled).

Phil

Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice to be able to follow it through the processes. Keep it up.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default Dash Refinishing

Dash before:

The dash after cleaning and a few hours with a chrome paint pen:

What do you think...Not bad for $6.00 and a couple hours??!! Thanks to jcruz for the tips (I did a search here).

Phil

Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks real good Phil, thanks for the updates.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Vey cool project! I just got my 67 back from the bodyshop. color is 07 Subaru Chrystal Grey Matalic Base/Clear. I used Heidts tubular control arms and tall/ 2" dropped spindles. Front suspension is all chromed 69 parts otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03103.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	85610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03184.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	85611   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03305.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	85612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03307.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	85613  

1969 firebird, pro touring build. Full Global West suspension 474 Stroker with Molnar Crank and Rods, DCI Ram Air 5 Top end, Holley fuel injection, Vince Janis 200-4R trans

"There is no such thing as too much horsepower"
Old 04-29-2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Chief

Few new updates:

...The leafs were a pain! All the bushings and brackets are new and the repop eye brackets needed to be grinded down a bit to fit and the frame bushings were a beyotch to install! The springs are DSE 3" drop and I used their bushing/shackle kit.

Up next is the Ford 9" and finish up the dash wiring.

Phil

Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

I got my rearend set in place! Axle pads need to be welded on, brake line tabs need to be welded on, and pinion angle needs to be set. Once this is done, it will come out and I will have the housing powder coated:

I am pretty psyched I got this in tonight!

Phil

Old 05-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

A little more progress...

Phil

Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

I finally got a chance to get back to the Bird. I have received my new TKO600 and am in the process of getting my Lakewood bellousing dialed-in and installed. Once I had measured how much the bell was out of alignment, I ordered the correct offset dowels and installed them using the Alignment Tool. It took me all of about 20 mins to get it "dialed-in."

...Success! The ring fits into the bell.

If you want to read more about the bell alignment, go to my page here.

Up next is the clutch install, tranny to bell install, then dopping the motor in!

Phil

Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Phil,

Looking great! I'll be getting to my Ford 9" pretty soon here -- I'll probably shoot you some questions.

The Dynamat install is interesting as well. I'm just now finishing up spraying LizardSkin. I'll be spraying the ceramic heat insulation this weekend. We'll have to compare notes...

John

Old 08-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Chief

Hi John-

Feel free to ask any questions. The biggest pain I have had to deal with on the Ford rear is the Wilwood brakes not clearing the driver's side shock mount. So far, the rest has been fairly painless. I will be dealing with the parking brake soon, but forum member rcrahn has already blazed this trail.

So, after 2 mos of messing around with the Lakewood Scattershield, the TKO600 is finally bolted up!!! I am hoping to get it in the car by the end of of the week!

The lakewood scattershield has been quite a pain. I would try a McLeod next time. Here are a few things I had to deal with to get the Lakewood right:

- Enlarge the motor plate for the Pontiac crank (thanks to Shaker455)
- Offset dowels to make it concentric (thanks to RobbMc)
- Grind the ear by the starter that was in the way of the z-bar
- Buy a longer McLeod adujstable ball stud to get the fork angle correct ($60 for a bolt!!! And why do I need to buy a McLeod piece for a Lakewood part anyway???)
- Wrong bolts with their "install kit." I needed to buy 12 more grade 8 nut/bolts.
- "Clean out" the bellhousing opening with a dowel shaped sanding bit (the tranny wouldn't go into the bell.) This may have actually ben my fault as I had my bell powdercoated which probably changed the tolerance. But man that was a tight tolerance!

..I am sure some of these are "Pontiac only" issues...but Lakewood will tell you that it will fit a pontiac (which isn't totally true).

All things considered, it took me about 2 months to get my bell, clutch, and tranny installed!

Here are some pics:

Phil