67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is it me or is that superteen another bizarre ugly Barris creation?
Other than the Hurst wheels and it is a Firebird anyway.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just basing my information on evidence. See which story makes more sense.

1. George Barris built cars for television and movie studios. He wasn't just "some guy", he built the Batmobile, the Munster Coach, The Green Hornet, etc., all TV shows (and cars) very popular at the time "I Dream Of Jeannie" was on the air.

2. George Barris built the 1968 "Superteen Firebird". It was heavily promoted on ABC-TV in 1968. It was so popular he decided to sell the bolt-on body panels to Pontiac dealers, and through mail order.

3. The 1969 "I Dream Of Jeannie" Firebird appears to contain parts from the 1968 "Superteen Firebird".

----------------

Now, if Jim Wangers states that the "Jeannie" car was a 1969 Trans Am convertible...

1. That means that there were 9 Trans Am convertibles built, not 8. But all 8 convertibles have been found and documented, their histories known, and none of them spent time as a TV car. Is Jim suggesting they made a 9th ragtop? Why hasn't he said anything for the past 40 years?

2. The purpose of using a new Trans Am on TV would be to PROMOTE the new 1969 Trans Am. So why did they remove the factory rear spoiler and put on a 3-piece spoiler?

3. Why would Pontiac (or Wangers) allow the car to painted GREEN when they wanted to promote the new 1969 Trans Am, which was only available in white with blue stripes?

---------

Doesn't it make more sense that this car was simply a 1969 Firebird convertible that had some bolt on parts added (from TV car customizer George Barris) rather than being a brand new, cobbled up, repainted, brand new 1969 Trans Am?

I believe Jim is just mistaken about the car. I have no solid proof that the car was NOT a Trans Am, but my analysis makes much more sense than Jim simply stating 40 years after the fact that the car was a 1969 Trans Am. Seems like if he knew they made a 9th ragtop, he would go into greater detail in his "Glory Days" book. The fact that they only made 8 ragtops has been quoted repeatedly since the mid 1970's, and verified by Jim Mattison.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater bill View Post
Is it me or is that superteen another bizarre ugly Barris creation?
Other than the Hurst wheels and it is a Firebird anyway.
Yes, I agree, but it was popular at the time! I guess it's like Nehru jackets and sitars, people's tastes just changed. Barris's creation always remind me of the 1970's customized van days.

The Superteen Firebird had many odd features, including a full stereo system (with turntable) in the back seat, consisting of a 1960's era home theater system. The nose of the Firebird also had some custom metal work done to extend the beak.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no bill its not just you, think about this what if you had won a super teen firebird? man it would a been a lot a work to get one of those things back to where you didnt mind being seen i public with it! shoot i guess you would have to go straight to a dealer and cut that baby loose

Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anybody have any photos or a little video snippet of that IDOJ episode with the car? Can't recall ever seeing it. Surely there's a fan amongst us who owns the DVD set of the TV series, or at least one who has a family member who does.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Does anybody have any photos or a little video snippet of that IDOJ episode with the car?
I remember a thumbnail of it here but can't find it.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Just basing my information on evidence. See which story makes more sense.

1. George Barris built cars for television and movie studios. He wasn't just "some guy", he built the Batmobile, the Munster Coach, The Green Hornet, etc., all TV shows (and cars) very popular at the time "I Dream Of Jeannie" was on the air.

2. George Barris built the 1968 "Superteen Firebird". It was heavily promoted on ABC-TV in 1968. It was so popular he decided to sell the bolt-on body panels to Pontiac dealers, and through mail order.

3. The 1969 "I Dream Of Jeannie" Firebird appears to contain parts from the 1968 "Superteen Firebird".

----------------

Now, if Jim Wangers states that the "Jeannie" car was a 1969 Trans Am convertible...

1. That means that there were 9 Trans Am convertibles built, not 8. But all 8 convertibles have been found and documented, their histories known, and none of them spent time as a TV car. Is Jim suggesting they made a 9th ragtop? Why hasn't he said anything for the past 40 years?

2. The purpose of using a new Trans Am on TV would be to PROMOTE the new 1969 Trans Am. So why did they remove the factory rear spoiler and put on a 3-piece spoiler?

3. Why would Pontiac (or Wangers) allow the car to painted GREEN when they wanted to promote the new 1969 Trans Am, which was only available in white with blue stripes?

---------

Doesn't it make more sense that this car was simply a 1969 Firebird convertible that had some bolt on parts added (from TV car customizer George Barris) rather than being a brand new, cobbled up, repainted, brand new 1969 Trans Am?

I believe Jim is just mistaken about the car. I have no solid proof that the car was NOT a Trans Am, but my analysis makes much more sense than Jim simply stating 40 years after the fact that the car was a 1969 Trans Am. Seems like if he knew they made a 9th ragtop, he would go into greater detail in his "Glory Days" book. The fact that they only made 8 ragtops has been quoted repeatedly since the mid 1970's, and verified by Jim Mattison.
Good analysis Mike . There are only 8 ta conv.s and none were on tv.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Good analysis Mike . There are only 8 ta conv.s and none were on tv.
That's your opinion. I would say 8 ta convertibles that are document with Phs
sold to the public. And one possible 9th t/a for advertising with no documents on file.
Wasn't it late 1977-80's that they were saying there were only two Convertibles?

Old 06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If no one comes up with anything, I can try to load up my VHS tape of my little IDOJ Pontiac segments, and take a photo of the screen where the 69 Bird is shown. I could post the video segments on YouTube, but it would probably get pulled for copyright infringment.

In answer to the other question about when the production figures for the 69 T/A ragtop were known, you're probably right about that. I recall reading about the 69 Trans Am ragtop production (in magazines) in the mid-1970's. This was a time when auto magazines began doing some retrospectives on the Trans Am (it was a hot seller by 1975), coupled with the fact that American convertible production was being discontinued, and they discovered that they only made 8 Trans Am ragtops EVER up to that point (1969-1975).

The 1969 production total was of course known at the end of the 1969 model year, but there wasn't too much interest in how many ragtops were built until years later. Heck, I have some articles from the late 1970's where they state "they estimate" how many Buick GSX's were built, or how many 71 Judges were built. There just wasn't too much info back then.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "2 TA converts" data was published in Hot Rod Magazine in (I think) April 1978. As a testimony to how many "car guys" were still reading HRM, in the letters column over the next couple of months, FIVE owners wrote in that they owned "one of the two". That apparently led to somebody actually digging through production data and verifying for somebody at HRM that there were in fact eight convertibles made. I still have a list I hand-wrote of all the guys' names and VINs from that time, and still have all those issues. Again, tucked away in storage, but I have them.

There seems to be at least 100 "ninth TA convertibles". Get a VIN, call PHS.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be useful to know what episodes/season this 'bird appeared in IDOJ.

The new TV show season intro'd about the same time as the new car Model Year.

The last season of IDOJ was the 5th and started in Sept. '69 until the last episode which aired in May '70.

1969T/A, if this 'bird did not appear until that season, at least you could argue that the '69 TA was in production when those episodes were being filmed.

I am of the opinion, based on the facts that are available, that the IDOJ 'bird was never a TA.

If it appeared early in the 4th season, that would seal the deal. TA production began in April '69. The 4th season of IDOJ would have aired from Sept. '68 thru May '69. The next to last episode that season aired April 14, '69, then after a 4 week break, the final episode aired May 12. Likely the last episide was filmed weeks earlier.

Figure out what episodes the car appeared in and you will likely prove that the IDOJ car existed before production TAs were being built.

If you are of the opinion that Pontiac chose to give the IDOJ producers a pre-production "prototype" 'bird with quasi-TA features to generate publicity for the eventual production TA, there is no point debating this. Not even Wangers' assertion supports that opinion since he stated to you that the car was a "TA", not a pre-production version that only resembled a TA in the loosest sense. You are welcome to your own opinion, but without facts, few will share your view. It is borne of imagination. And there are facts that contradict your opinion.

MikeN.'s explanation is supported by fact. The Barris components existed in '68 and were offered for sale and the IDOJ car appears to feature some of these available components. The opinion that the IDOJ car more likely is a regular '69 'bird with some Barris components added is a logical conclusion.

If you care to research the IDOJ car further, you need to discover what episodes it appeared in and what dates those episodes originally aired. I will be curious to learn this myself.

BTW, I for one think the Super Teen 'bird looks fabulous. I had not known of these cars. I don't care for the front fender graphic but I would take one of those cars in a heartbeat. Any idea of the color(s)? Do they exist today?

Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
If you are of the opinion that Pontiac chose to give the IDOJ producers a pre-production "prototype" 'bird with quasi-TA features to generate publicity for the eventual production TA, there is no point debating this. Not even Wangers' assertion supports that opinion since he stated to you that the car was a "TA", not a pre-production version that only resembled a TA in the loosest sense. You are welcome to your own opinion, but without facts, few will share your view. It is borne of imagination. And there are facts that contradict your opinion.
That's the nice thing about living in the USA
I'm intitled to my own opinion and you are intitled to yours.
But,I have to say. I'm more convinced of "Jim Wangers" opinion
because he was there where you and I weren't.
And now it's 40 years later.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969T/A View Post
I would need to see your proof he was mistaken.
Like he told me there is no records of the car on file
So how can you base your info on anything?

Just because some guy made aftermarket parts
at one time doesn't prove anything.
How could he be the final say?
He never worked for GM or Pontiac.
Worked for an advertizing agency.
Although he does know alot, i'd bet there was alot more behind the scenes stuff going on that he didnt know about.
He has been proven wrong on more then one occasion(and stretched the thruth).

As far as the Jeanie car, that could of been bought from a dealership.
If it was an original TA, they sure F'd it up.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They made 3 Superteen Firebirds. They were given away to the winners of the 1968 ABC TV show talent contest called "The Sounds Of '68". One of the Birds was won by a girl who sold it for college money, and never actually took delivery (this is the one that's still around today). The 2nd Bird was won by a rock/pop group from Minnesota. Over the years, the lead singer from that group said the Bird was the recipient of several hit and runs. She restored the car in 1980, and soon after, the car was totalled while sitting in the street in front of her house (the police were chasing someone, and the suspect ended up piling into the back of the car). The 3rd Bird went to another talented singer, and the whereabouts of that Bird (or the singer) are unknown.

The Superteen Firebirds consisted of:

Full length hood scoops
Custom hood tach housing
Front bumperettes
Modified nose (called "Hawk's Nose")
Custom headlights (Cibie) with custom grilles
Frontal area of the fenders were bobbed and canted
Brake cooling ducts
3-piece adjustable rear spoiler
Sequential taillights
Hurst wheels
Custom exhaust (non-functional sidepipes)
Quick release gas cap
Rear bumperettes
Silver Metallic Flake with cut glass for a "shimmering" look
Vinyl graphics (the stripes are red/white/blue)
Singer Home Entertainment System, consisting of:
- hand rubbed walnut cabinet, which replaced the rear seat
- portable television with mobile antenna
- typewriter
- stereo/record player
- Muntz tape recorder

Barris said the stereo system was really just a promotional tool for Singer/Muntz, and not really intended to be used IN the car. The retail value of the car was $12,000, back when a Firebird convertible was around $5,000 loaded. The Superteen Firebirds were standard 400/330hp cars, all auto trans. The surviving Superteen Firebird (assuming the 3rd one is not found) was built as an Aleutian Blue car, out of Van Nuys in June 68.

I'll see if I can post any pictures.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I still can't upload photos. I keep getting "Upload failed", and doesn't list a reason. Photos are only around 100K, JPG format. Anyone have any ideas? I used to upload photos all the time?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, I still can't upload photos. I keep getting "Upload failed", and doesn't list a reason. Photos are only around 100K, JPG format. Anyone have any ideas? I used to upload photos all the time?
Mike
the pics are most likely too large
host them somewhere else and attach them.
If you need a host PM me.
I think everyone has a limit on the amount of pic space you use.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cammer, thanks for the offer! I think this will work. I just posted them to my Flickr account. When you get there, you can click on 3 other photos. Hope this works...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24253219@N03/2574481062/

Old 06-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Cammer, thanks for the offer! I think this will work. I just posted them to my Flickr account. When you get there, you can click on 3 other photos. Hope this works...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24253219@N03/2574481062/
yep see that
wasnt there some parts floating around ebay last year,or maybe a car that has some parts on it?
I have something stored in my old HD that took a dump(yet to find someone that can retrieve it)

Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Here's a link to the "Superteen Firebird Story".
Not once does he say anything about the "I Dream Of Jeannie Car" ?
By the way he contacted "John DeLorean and Jim Wangers" In This Story.
http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...ird/index.html

Last edited by 1969T/A; 06-12-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
They made 3 Superteen Firebirds. They were given away to the winners of the 1968 ABC TV show talent contest called "The Sounds Of '68". One of the Birds was won by a girl who sold it for college money, and never actually took delivery (this is the one that's still around today). The 2nd Bird was won by a rock/pop group from Minnesota. Over the years, the lead singer from that group said the Bird was the recipient of several hit and runs. She restored the car in 1980, and soon after, the car was totalled while sitting in the street in front of her house (the police were chasing someone, and the suspect ended up piling into the back of the car). The 3rd Bird went to another talented singer, and the whereabouts of that Bird (or the singer) are unknown.

The Superteen Firebirds consisted of:

Full length hood scoops
Custom hood tach housing
Front bumperettes
Modified nose (called "Hawk's Nose")
Custom headlights (Cibie) with custom grilles
Frontal area of the fenders were bobbed and canted
Brake cooling ducts
3-piece adjustable rear spoiler
Sequential taillights
Hurst wheels
Custom exhaust (non-functional sidepipes)
Quick release gas cap
Rear bumperettes
Silver Metallic Flake with cut glass for a "shimmering" look
Vinyl graphics (the stripes are red/white/blue)
Singer Home Entertainment System, consisting of:
- hand rubbed walnut cabinet, which replaced the rear seat
- portable television with mobile antenna
- typewriter
- stereo/record player
- Muntz tape recorder

Barris said the stereo system was really just a promotional tool for Singer/Muntz, and not really intended to be used IN the car. The retail value of the car was $12,000, back when a Firebird convertible was around $5,000 loaded. The Superteen Firebirds were standard 400/330hp cars, all auto trans. The surviving Superteen Firebird (assuming the 3rd one is not found) was built as an Aleutian Blue car, out of Van Nuys in June 68.

I'll see if I can post any pictures.
Good thing they gave them away. I can't see anyone buying that butt ugly thing!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT