67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Default Engine rebuild and engine bay detailing Pt II

Well, I had so much fun doing this engine bay detail (end result is at Pg 6)

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=545844

now it's time for the Firebird. The engine has been pulled because of this

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...light=sad+tale

anyway - the block is fine although it did show signs of crappy machine work from the fools who built it the first time. Ready to start prepping the block and reassembly, so I'm going to detail the engine bay. I'm so stoked with the results of the LeMans I want my 'bird to look just as good. I'm ordering an AC delete system (thanks for the hookup) and I've got the front end off. Things I learned last time...

1) Keep all bolts separate / don't mix them up while sandblasting & painting
2) LOTS OF PICTURES
3) It only looks like it'll be a pain in the a$$...but it'll actually be worse

Wish me luck...any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Here's my starting point...

Old 10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA
Default Progress...

Front fenders are off, removed the evap coil and ordered the block off kit

and what the hell is THIS??? That big can of spam looking thing...

all the underdash ducting wasn't screwed together, it was just placed up under the dash some time ago - so I'll fix that as well....blasted and painted the brake and gas pedal...NO WAY is this going to take as long as the LeMans did!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That can of Spam is a vacuum reservior for the AC system to operate the flapper doors and such. One side is a check valve and one is open if I remember correctly.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater bill View Post
That can of Spam is a vacuum reservior for the AC system to operate the flapper doors and such. One side is a check valve and one is open if I remember correctly.
There's only one hose coming off it and it wasn't attached...if I'm doing away with the AC can I take that thing off or does it affect the heater as well?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you aren't using the factory AC,
E-bay or scrap

Old 10-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater bill View Post
If you aren't using the factory AC,
E-bay or scrap
I've kept some of the parts...so that if I ever sell it the new owner can add ac if he wants...then again, if it were me I'd buy a Vintage AC setup and go from there - maybe I will just eBay it...thanks!

Is that vacuum canister reproduced? Don't recall seeing it in the catalogues...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine update

The reason I was burning so much oil was because the intake gasket had a leak (internally, never saw anything visually) and the seats and intake valves are bad. Would also explain the lack of power, no?

Got a new harmonic balancer, the rotating assembly is being balanced and should start assembly next week.

Everything is off the firewall and we'll start prepping the frame and firewall.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My well-optioned 'bird

A well optioned 'bird called 67Blackcherry

I wish it had the 4speed option and RAI and no AC but that's ok...

Old 11-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Start painting next week!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You ever drive that car to my neck of the woods, you'll wish you kept the a/c.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 PM

Thumbs up

Nice work 67BC.

I'm following this thread closely as I need to do the same project on my 68 coupe this winter. Please keep the pics & tips coming.

Good Luck.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
You better have the a/c cranked at your house if I'm ever driving in your neck of the woods...that and a cold beer and some steak on the grill! Or fish, chicken, pork, whatever...I'm easy!

The top's always down when I drive that car - so what's the point in a/c?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Y82W72 View Post
Nice work 67BC.

I'm following this thread closely as I need to do the same project on my 68 coupe this winter. Please keep the pics & tips coming.

Good Luck.
Don't follow me - I'll lead you astray in a heartbeat! I don't really know what I'm doing!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's a good looking frame you got there. the swaybar looks good, but the 'tip out' upper arms look a little too stock. please tell my you're going to do something about that!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccieng View Post
that's a good looking frame you got there. the swaybar looks good, but the 'tip out' upper arms look a little too stock. please tell my you're going to do something about that!
Thanks.
Yes, I'm going to install a set of tubular a-arms...cause you're going to buy them for me, right???

Unfortunately, with the 455 I just built for my LeMans, and rebuilding the 400 in this Firebird, my car fund is severly depleted. Oh yeah, and there's that recession thing to boot, work is VERY SLOW. I was going to send the pwr steering pump and box to Lee Mfg down here but I just don't have the cash, I've got to go with a NAPA unit.

I am, however, taking donations so please feel to contribute!
Contribute much and contribute often!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
Don't follow me - I'll lead you astray in a heartbeat! I don't really know what I'm doing!!!
That's cool. I'll just give you enough time to figure out what went wrong before I do that part!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
You better have the a/c cranked at your house if I'm ever driving in your neck of the woods...that and a cold beer and some steak on the grill! Or fish, chicken, pork, whatever...I'm easy!

The top's always down when I drive that car - so what's the point in a/c?
Always have the a/c on in the summer; home or car. With the humidity here its a must.
As for fish, bring your fishing pole, drink beer and fish off the back deck

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Always have the a/c on in the summer; home or car. With the humidity here its a must.
As for fish, bring your fishing pole, drink beer and fish off the back deck
When I was a kid I spent time in Illinois in the summer as well as Massachusetts - I recall 90* days with 95% humidity...no thanks!

No fishing pole, I'll have to borrow yours - but I'll bring the beer!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PROGRESS!

Got the inner fenders, radiator support and the other pieces from the front end to the blasting place - pick them up tomorrow and start painting! Got the suspension apart and painted the master cylinder today - looking good, I'll have to post pictures tomorrow or the next day.

Paint on the suspension / I prefer Eastwood Spray Gray (used it in the past, it's awesome) but all I had was Cast Blast - worked just fine. The Eastwood comes out of the can better, it's just a better paint IMO but the Cast Blast was fine.

SEM Paint for the firewall
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydep...FQJNagodUgzVZA
Trim Black Quart 39144

Eastwood Extreme Chassis Paint for the chassis and suspension parts
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
its a convertible, no need for ac.....I dont have it here in Houston, because if I drive it the weather is good = no rain ,and the top is down....ac does very little good when top is down...had ac in my Healey, it cooled my right knee cap!

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
its a convertible, no need for ac.....I dont have it here in Houston, because if I drive it the weather is good = no rain ,and the top is down....ac does very little good when top is down...had ac in my Healey, it cooled my right knee cap!
I dated a girl that insisted on running the ac with the top down (in her newer Toyota/Nissan whatever) and I always told her "that is the stupidest thing...running the ac with the top down."

She was a redhead though...and we all know they aren't right in the head, right?