67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
has anyone ran a phs? it would be interesting to see where it was originally shipped to.
Being the big Barbara Eden fan that you are, you should buy this one and put it back together!

(And thanks to whoever edited down the picture size for me - sorry)

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yea boss you are right, if this thing surfaced 10 years ago, it would definately end up in my building. today, i just dont have the interest in accumulating any more.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So guys whats the general Opinion, This is an active auction, so please no bashing of the car,(Not my style) just curious if you had to make a decision in the next two days, is it or could it be the real thing? I dont even know where to begin to try to verify the owners claims, at the very least its a carusel red convertible. The car peaked my interest and im just thinking about it.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Suspended

I have done alot of research on the "I Dream Of Jeannie" car
I have also talked to alot of people about the car including George Barris
To me the story about the car & some of its parts dont match up.
Dont get me wrong its a neat car
But If I had to vote on it
I would say its not the real car
and its a aftermarket body kit.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This car is not the same as the Superteens Car that Barris made. HPP in March 2008 has an article on the Barris cars. Both the front and rear ends are entirely different animals.

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ra455 View Post
This car is not the same as the Superteens Car that Barris made. HPP in March 2008 has an article on the Barris cars. Both the front and rear ends are entirely different animals.
I contacted George Barris well over a year ago and asked him
if he had any "Superteen" or "I Dream Of Jeannie" body kits still for sale
he told me he use to sell them many years ago and he didnt have any left
he also told me he didnt have the molds anymore to make more.

Also about the car on ebay
I contacted the seller and told him that I have been researching
The "I Dream Of Jeannie" car for many years now
And was interested in comparing any info on the car and he doesnt seem interested
You would think if you have the "real car" you wouldnt try to drive away a potenetial buyer like that you would think the seller would want any info he could get to verify it to make the sale.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it makes perfect sense for the seller to not be interested in helping you .... when he knows his story is not true

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ra455 View Post
What I stated earlier is that this car may have the parts designed by Barris for the Superteen Firebird, the parts he sold as a kit or conversion. The hood on this E-Bay car appears to be the same one used on the Superteen car. The rear wing, while not exactly the same as the Superteen car, is the same 3-piece adjustable design. Since these kits (or conversions) that Barris sold were supposedly pretty popular back then, my guess is that this car just has the Barris kit (or conversion) installed.

Two odd things about this car though. The paint job, while a different color now, matches the IDOJ car. I wonder if Barris painted ALL his conversion cars the same way? If he didn't, it seems odd that this car had the exact same two-tone spoiler/side stripes scheme as the IDOJ car. And the side scoops on this E-Bay car do appear match the IDOJ car, not the Superteen (or the Barris conversion) side scoops.

But if this seller has no further proof, I'm not sure what to think. Pretty neat find though. The interior also appears to match the IDOJ car. White, auto trans, power windows. Could never see much more than that during the IDOJ episodes.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

I think the car is the IDOJ car .. just due to the paint scheme ..... just because you put the convestion kit on the car doesnt mean that you would repaint your car that way .. i however would not own the car ..i dont like the way it looks at all .. we will all never really know .....

Old 08-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A George Barris endorsement would cement the deal. Got to get these things when these guys are still around. Worth a ton more if documented. Questionable value without documentation. my 2 cents...

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I also believe it is very UNLIKELY that the ebay car was the same car as seen in Limelight Green as the IDOJ car.

To Mike Noun's point, there is the possibility that the IDOJ show took a Carousel Red 400 convertible that had already appeared on the show, sent it to Barris for the transformation to a Limelight Green car.

Personally, I doubt that the show would have taken a CR 'bird and had it totally repainted to Limelight Green. I'm convinced the IDOJ car would have started as Limelight Green and gotten the mild custom features.

I also don't think you need to be in any rush if you are interested. I seriously doubt the car will receive a bid anywhere close to the $10K starting bid. If you are interested, contact the Seller and let him know of your interest. Then after the auction ends, pursue it with him.

As a minimum, you will want to see where the car was delivered originally. If not near Hollywood, the game is over.

Then, you will want to see evidence of the original Carousel Red, followed by Limelight Green, followed by Dark Blue, then the White as it is now. If there is no evidence of Limelight Green over the Carousel Red, the game is over.

Pay close attention to the rear deck spoiler, I haven't checked but according to 1969T/A there may be some visual evidence that the IDOJ spoiler and the one on this car are not the same.

Either way, if it turns out that the evidence points to it being the IDOJ car or not, as it sits, I see WAY less than $5000 in value. A buyer smitten with IDOJ could surely pay more, but that is a rare buyer.

Once restored, it might be a $25K car tops but only if it is done very well and the purchase price plus resto cost is sure to exceed $25K unless you don't have to pay for labor.

And of course, assuming it never appeared in IDOJ but simply has some features that were also applied to the Limelight Green IDOJ car that were readily available from Barris to anybody that wanted to do some mild customizing of their ride, the "blue sky" value of this car goes way down.

It could be a decent project and a fun driver.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike Noun and Intense, what are you guys basing your belief that the ebay car ever matched the IDOJ Limelight Green paint scheme?

The facts:

1. The Data Plate says the car shipped from the factory with the extra cost Carousel Red.

2. The current Seller says it was Dark Blue with White Stripes when he acquired the car in '77.

3. The current Seller says he repainted it White with Blue Stripes after he acquired it.

4. The IDOJ car appeared to be Limelight Green.

The Seller does say the car was originally Green as seen on the TV show. And he also says the original color can be seen where the badges have been removed.

But it is unclear that the Seller means you can see Green or the Dark Blue under the badges. I read the ad and it sounds to me that he is only regurgitating the fact that the car in IDOJ was Green. Since he contends his car is the IDOJ car, I think he has just made the assumption that it must have been Green prior to Dark Blue. I think it remains an open question whether there was ever a coat of Green paint on the ebay car.

And he may not even know that the Data Plate indicates it was a factory Carousel Red car. It is certainly worth carefully documenting the color change evidence on the ebay car.

But aside from acknowledging that the IDOJ car was Green, I can't see any evidence that the Seller has produced to suggest that the car he is selling was ever Green. Am I missing something?

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Pay close attention to the rear deck spoiler, I haven't checked but according to 1969T/A there may be some visual evidence that the IDOJ spoiler and the one on this car are not the same.
Both the "Superteen" and the "IDOJ" car had a control bar attached to the
under side of the spoiler that controlled the pitch of the spoiler.
If you look at the pics it doesnt looks like it was added to the ebay car
making me think its a aftermarket body kits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	superteen.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	177170   Click image for larger version

Name:	sm_img_1479.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	177171  

Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Mike Noun and Intense, what are you guys basing your belief that the ebay car ever matched the IDOJ Limelight Green paint scheme?

The facts:

1. The Data Plate says the car shipped from the factory with the extra cost Carousel Red.

2. The current Seller says it was Dark Blue with White Stripes when he acquired the car in '77.

3. The current Seller says he repainted it White with Blue Stripes after he acquired it.

4. The IDOJ car appeared to be Limelight Green.

The Seller does say the car was originally Green as seen on the TV show. And he also says the original color can be seen where the badges have been removed.

But it is unclear that the Seller means you can see Green or the Dark Blue under the badges. I read the ad and it sounds to me that he is only regurgitating the fact that the car in IDOJ was Green. Since he contends his car is the IDOJ car, I think he has just made the assumption that it must have been Green prior to Dark Blue. I think it remains an open question whether there was ever a coat of Green paint on the ebay car.

And he may not even know that the Data Plate indicates it was a factory Carousel Red car. It is certainly worth carefully documenting the color change evidence on the ebay car.

But aside from acknowledging that the IDOJ car was Green, I can't see any evidence that the Seller has produced to suggest that the car he is selling was ever Green. Am I missing something?
In the extra pictures of the car there are some shots of the front guard that shows some old green paint.
CR and some green, I would like to think it is the IDOJ car. Not that long ago I watched Mike Nouns Youtube clips and thought about where those Firebirds ended up. If it is the actual car which way would you go, CR or Barris mods and green?
BTW a big thanks Mike for those clips!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Suspended

I just got off the phone with "George Barris Kustom Industries"
They said that if it was the real car they would have offered the owner a
"Certificate Of Authenticity". All this seller has is a black & white photo
and a videos MikeNoun posted on youtube. Im sure if it was the real car
Brett Barris would have told him about the "Certificate Of Authenticity"
when he sent or gave him the photo of the IDOJ car
If the seller had it Im sure he would have posted it in the ebay auction.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just for fun here is a link with some very short shots of the actual car on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iax-0...eature=related

And at the very end of the second video you can see the car has a WHITE Custom interior. So maybee,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScoW9...eature=related

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 08-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Chief

Last edited by John Haley; 08-07-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Wrong pictures
The Following User Says Thank You to John Haley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Chief

I really think that could be the car .... i have watched the utube clips.. and now seen the pics .. the rear spoiler is hooked on the same ...white interior ... maybe pontiac wouldnt give them another car and they sent one out to be customized ... but just my thought ... anything is possible ...like i said before we will never know for sure ..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John V., I think maybe you misunderstood what I was suggesting in my theory.

There was indeed a Carousel Red 69 Firebird 400, white interior, that was driven my Roger Healy (Bill Daly) on the IDOJ show in the 1969 season. At some point, Roger Healy switched suddenly from the Carousel Red 69 Bird to the green/white customized Bird, and the Carousel Red car was not seen again. Perhaps when the E-Bay seller says the "original green is showing through", he's referring to the modified IDOJ car paint scheme, not the Code 72 paint. The green is sort of an unusual shade from what I can tell in the video clips, not a factory color, and it appears to have a little imron or candy apple in it. Again, I'm just guessing, someone nees to ask the seller for more proof. I think if someone PHS's this car and sees it was delivered to the same dealership as the other cars used on the show in the prior seasons, it would add some more credibility.

And 69T/A, good job on posting the spoiler pics. Very interesting! And John Haley, thanks for posting the b&w pics!

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody needs to get a look at the car in the flesh.

For sure it's got the same Barris parts on it, but as noted they were available to anyone back in the day. One thing I notice in the old image of the IDOJ car in post #37 is how nice the rear spoiler end caps fit to the quarters -- like a pro prepping a TV/PR car finessed them to get the fit just right. But the eBay car's end caps don't fit so well... as if they were bolted on out of the box. That could also be just a result of aging and/or the hit the car has obviously taken in the rear.

This is interesting stuff. Somebody pay for the PHS

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue