67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The PHS docs have Champagne highlighted in yellow. What code are you reffering that makes you think it's Limelight green?
Here:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69-bird-conv-phs-txt.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	312298  

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Here:

Not sure why I can't post pictures without an admin approving it (which hasn't happened), but the LH pointer is pointing to "S9". The codes on the order number sheet show "S" as champagne and 9 as a dark green top. I'll e-mail them to Shiny and maybe he can post them. The 06 is for a green interior.

Just to make sure this was correct, I looked at the cowl tag of my 69 Palladium silver black top 350HO car and it has "P2" in the LH spot, P for Palladium silver and 2 for a black top.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have another question on this build sheet. The car doesn't list a radio. My other 69 has an AM radio (code 382). Did this car come without any radio? If so, what would be in the radio hole in the dash?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's thew's order sheet for reference.

I guess I'm his web slave until he is released from upload detention.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Champagne PHS page 2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	312356  

Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thews View Post
Not sure why I can't post pictures without an admin approving it (which hasn't happened), but the LH pointer is pointing to "S9". The codes on the order number sheet show "S" as champagne and 9 as a dark green top. I'll e-mail them to Shiny and maybe he can post them. The 06 is for a green interior.
The picture approval must be a new strategy for new members - i guess.
Do your posts have to wait for approval too ?

Everything you said about the colors is correct.
The invoice on 69's always shows the paint code in Alpha.
The trim tag on 69's always shows the paint code in Numeric.
John mistook S9 as being 59 or 69 ...

206 is base level green interior.

Your car would have came off the line with a "delete / anti-radio" cover plate where the radio "would" go. It also would not have had an antenna - as built.

Shiny said your car is now White - does it still have green interior and green top ?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
The picture approval must be a new strategy for new members - i guess.
Do your posts have to wait for approval too ?

Everything you said about the colors is correct.
The invoice on 69's always shows the paint code in Alpha.
The trim tag on 69's always shows the paint code in Numeric.
John mistook S9 as being 59 or 69 ...

206 is base level green interior.

Your car would have came off the line with a "delete / anti-radio" cover plate where the radio "would" go. It also would not have had an antenna - as built.

Shiny said your car is now White - does it still have green interior and green top ?
I can post text without admin approval, but the Photobucket pictures I posted never made it through.

That's a weird choice for the delete plate on the radio? I've never seen one. You'd think a special ordered car like this would at least have an AM radio, but maybe they knew they'd put in an aftermarket one out of the gate?

The car is currently white with a new white interior and white top. When I bought it (about 15 years ago) it had a black interior and black top. I was going to paint it dark green with a white interior and white top, but after I ordered the PHS docs and found out it was a 350HO, I decided to put it back to the factory colors. I have a new green interior, but finding a green top is isn't easy, but I'm sure when the time comes I'll find it somewhere.

When I bought my other 69 convert it came with a rebuilt "XC" 400 short block out of a 75 Trans AM. I was going to put that in as well (currently has a rebuilt 68 Catalina 400), but I think that plan has changed too and I'll hold out until I find an original 69 350 XC.

There's a local guy (Colorado) who has a 69 WV 350HO short block out of a manual Tempest/Lemans, so if anyone needs this engine (one of about 1500 made) he only wants $350 for it. PM if you want his number.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thews, I'm sorry.
BVZ is right, I mistook the 'S' as a '5'.

(old age sucks)

That is a cool color anyway.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I can post text without admin approval, but the Photobucket pictures I posted never made it through.
Perhaps you're not using the correct link for the pictures?
The forum may think you're trying to inject a virus or something with using a wrong link.
(the PY admin may not even know this warning comes up, just part of the programming?)

Might pm an admin and ask them?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Thews, I'm sorry.
BVZ is right, I mistook the 'S' as a '5'.

(old age sucks)

That is a cool color anyway.

No John,not getting old is what sux

Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

The car is currently white with a new white interior and white top.
It might just be a glitch in how you are trying to post or link them.
You can load attachments (pictures) directly from your comp with your post.
Or link them from p-bucket a couple different ways.

First early Bird i ever really fell hard for belonged to a guy from our cross-town rival high school. Was a triple white 69 400 Vert in decent shape. Never seen another one since in triple white.

If you ever get picture posting under control - could you post a few pictures of the car ?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
It might just be a glitch in how you are trying to post or link them.
You can load attachments (pictures) directly from your comp with your post.
Or link them from p-bucket a couple different ways.

First early Bird i ever really fell hard for belonged to a guy from our cross-town rival high school. Was a triple white 69 400 Vert in decent shape. Never seen another one since in triple white.

If you ever get picture posting under control - could you post a few pictures of the car ?
I can post pictures now. The car is currently on the lift with a bunch of stuff under it, but here's how it sits now. Note the air shocks are flat, which is why it sits so low.

Interior was completely redone in a shop... gotta tear it all out now, but at least I can use the black dash pad and carpet on my other 69. The steering wheel is a 71 GTO with a black leather cover. It looks like a wood wheel that's padded.

The engine is a rebuilt 68 Catalina block with #62 heads. I used roller rockers and put two valve cover gaskets to clear the stock covers. Air cleaner is a 72 GTO, but I found a stock 69 air cleaner for it. I have the #48 heads (72cc) and once I find an XC block I'll swap them out.

I did find a picture of a champagne 69 convert with a black top.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
No John,not getting old is what sux
My Irish granddad had a couple lines he used on us as kids:

You get old or you get dead...so don't bitch about getting old!

or this one when he had a little extra "spirit" in him:

Are you sleeping in a ditch tonight?

Do you have a brain tumor?

no, then shut the f*** up!

He was a heavy heavy drinker and a chain smoker; those deadly habits killed him off .........at 99 and made the last 15 minutes of his life a drawn out decline! (the day before he died he made his regular weekly walk to the grocery store, walking home with two bags of groceries in January.

I hope I have his genes!!

Back on topic I have had two 69 GP's with Champagne (both with black Cordova's and interiors) but I remember parting a 69 GTO convertible with Champagne and green top and buckets, it was strange looking to say the least. Champagne with black is a really sharp combo, I'd think twice about the green top and guts.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
Back on topic I have had two 69 GP's with Champagne (both with black Cordova's and interiors) but I remember parting a 69 GTO convertible with Champagne and green top and buckets, it was strange looking to say the least. Champagne with black is a really sharp combo, I'd think twice about the green top and guts.
You're making me think twice about changing the interior and top to green. I could always have the champagne paint done and keep the white top and interior?

I found this pic on the post pics of your Firebird thread. This claims to be "one of the 16 french 1969 firebird convertible." Anyone know what a "French" 69 Firebird is?
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...459912&page=35

Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not so sure that white-parchment would go well with champagne.

They must mean a Fitch Firebird. John Fitch was the guy who in the 60's sold Fitch corvairs, afterwards he also modified some 69 birds. I'm not sure exactly what the mods they made were or how you could ID one today.

He was a very accomplished rece car driver before that too, I think he just died recently

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Champagne/Black poster's location said "FRANCE"

French? Fitch?

Maybe he's still active, send him a message?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
I'm not so sure that white-parchment would go well with champagne.

They must mean a Fitch Firebird. John Fitch was the guy who in the 60's sold Fitch corvairs, afterwards he also modified some 69 birds. I'm not sure exactly what the mods they made were or how you could ID one today.

He was a very accomplished race car driver before that too, I think he just died recently
You're probably right about the white top/int. Even though it may look odd when it's done, I think it may really look cool too. Unlike the pink cars, making this one just like Pontiac produced it will make it interesting if nothing else.

I found some info on the Fitch Firebirds and according to this there were two made in 1967. I think what was meant by "French" was just the champagne color, but the number 16 is what I find curious. The number 112 350HO convertibles has been floating around the internet, but I've yet to see anything published to confirm it from the PHS data.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/108400/1
Quote:
Fitch knew John DeLorean who was running Pontiac in 1967 and DeLorean sent Fitch 1 400ci Firebird and 1 OHC
6 cylinder with a four barrel (Pontiac Sprint engine) to play around with as an engineering exercise. When he was
done with the 2 cars they where brought back to Pontiac for the evaluation and also to Lime Rock race track in CT.
The Fitch cars ran back to back tests with Pontiac engineering dept cars called PFST. At the end of the tests Fitch felt his car was better suited for everyday street driving while the Pontiac PFST wasn't real a street car, more of a
race car. I think after the test Pontiac gave Fitch the cars back and they kind of parted ways the way I've heard the story. Fitch said in a old Special Interest Auto interview "Herb (Adams Pontiac engineer in charge of the
PFST program) still liked his and I liked mine.". I think Fitch felt his cars worked fine for what he intended them to be,
more of a sport car then a race car. My understanding is Pontiac never backed the Fitch car program other than send
Fitch the first 2 cars, and Fitch busy with his other projects at the time, never really marketed them other than a few
magazine road tests. Fitch doesn't remember how many cars he made in the end, it seem to be around 6-8 cars, all 400ci engines except the 1 OHC Sprint.

My car is the OHC Sprint engine car. For factory options my car has rally gages, console, tilt, wood wheel, deluxe
interior, 4 speed, am/fm, hood tach, rally wheels, tinted glass, power disc brakes, and radial tires (actual option
on Firebirds in 67). For Fitch mods there's Koni Front shocks, Lucas Flame thrower driving light, mesh in front of
the light/grill, adjusted caster, rubber bumpers on the shaft of the front shocks (to change spring rate), re-valved
steering and brakes, headlight flasher switch, one time wiper switch, light monitoring panel, leather steering wheel
cover, Judson coil, dual exhaust, and the fins an the quater panels (they were to cooling the brakes and let air into
the interior but never developed). Also for the 6 cylinder car Fitch want to supercharge it, but never actually
developed it. A fitch opted car would sell for about $1000 more than the sticker price on a car.

The car was fairly solid when I bought it in the late 80's except for the trunk which was rotted bad because the fins
let alot of water leak in. The floors and doors were good.I had to replace the roof skin because someone put a moon
sun roof in at some point. The interior is all original except the rug and headliner. The car was missing the mesh covers and light monitoring panel, I recreated them from pictures and by talking to Fitch.

I found 2 broadcast sheet in the car both say "Tag Fitch & Co." and the Pontiac PHS billing card shows it was
paid for by the Engineering department of Pontiac.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That Champagne colored car with the black stripes is IN FRANCE. I recall it from the First Gen Firebird online car show.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys, take it from a guy who works in the creative world - gold and green match. And if you visit http://www.gt-37.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=419 you'll see that Champagne and green are a recommended combination.

Plus, white (Parchment) matches anything. Black matches anything. Try thinking like an artist and notice the things around you, the way you match your clothing, etc. and you'll see that it's a no-brainer.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can agree that champagne gold and green are complimentary colors in fashion and effects. But still uggh a lee on a cool car. Especially with top and interior being the green parts. Or maybe should just say very low on the totem pole at resale.

The mixture for this 69 champagne may even have a couple drops of green in it.
Some champagnes have a few drops of green, some have a few drops of red.

Thews, thanks for posting pics of the car in White. Brings back memories.
Probably looks better overall sitting on the ground too.
The one in high school looked very similar except had a camaro rear spoiler with 60's on rear and 70's on front. And no body side moldings. It was tuff

Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
..I did find a picture of a champagne 69 convert with a black top.
i don't think that is champagne.
Or at least not an accurate rendition.
Looks more like a regular gold metallic.