Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 AM

Default 1968 Hood Hinge restore

Found this information for 1968 GTO hood hinges, is this correct?

Hood, Hinge - Black Cadmium
Hood, Hinge, Spring - Silver Cadmium or Natural Metal

Thanks!

MikeD.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDinWP View Post
Found this information for 1968 GTO hood hinges, is this correct?

Hood, Hinge - Black Cadmium
Hood, Hinge, Spring - Silver Cadmium or Natural Metal

Thanks!

MikeD.
Mike, Paul Kilker and I recently went to a local salvage yard where we took more than 100 photos of a 1968 GTO that had been sitting in a field for literally 25 years unprotected. I posted many in a thread recently about not wanting to let your car sit in a field. The point is that we were able to observe and document again, on an original, unmolested car, that the hinges were, in fact, black cad or black phosphate. I have about a dozen shots of these hinges. They are not silver, nor were they cast color. A non-gloss black cad or phosphate! This is about the 3rd or 4th original car that we have found showing the same thing. Not painted. Kurt

Here are a couple of the better shots showing the black color, not paint, and the spring too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hood hinge small.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	157973   Click image for larger version

Name:	hood hinge small2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	157974  

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)

Last edited by 68gtoMN; 02-14-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting... I'll take your word for it that there was conclusive evidence of black, as opposed to a darker grey phosphate type of coating. That's what I have always seen and beleived to be correct. 2manyponchos has an all original, never been touched, little old lady 68 Tempest, I haven't checked those hinges yet... will do tomorrow.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug checked the Tempest hinges... they look black... hmmmmmmm?

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

raw or a cast look is correct. Why rebuild when you can buy brand new correct ones from here or ames in the correct color????? there are 2 sets availble, close ones & correct ones. I have NOS springs still in the wrappers & are either a dark cast iron or black id have to double check
typically the rivets separate over time & i have herd of putting in a vise & recrushing them.. but ive opted for new ones

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

for 69s not sure 68s. i always look for survivors aswell & very tough to come by. I than look photo & document GOLD WINNING CONCOURS CARS

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETJUDGE View Post
raw or a cast look is correct. Why rebuild when you can buy brand new correct ones from here or ames in the correct color????? there are 2 sets availble, close ones & correct ones. I have NOS springs still in the wrappers & are either a dark cast iron or black id have to double check
typically the rivets separate over time & i have herd of putting in a vise & recrushing them.. but ive opted for new ones
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here... CAST is not correct for any stamped steel part. There is a difference between correct, original, and accepted as correct. The color of the NOS springs doesn't prove a thing as we all know many over the counter parts sold by GM were not the same as production parts.

John, you out there?

I can say for sure, as of right now, the GTOAA's accepted finish for the hinges / springs is natural. I am questioning that due to actually researching the issue a little.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 PM

I do remember before I cleaned them that they were very dark and I tried to imitate the look by painting the hinges “steel” and then dusting with an Eastwood black phosphate. As for restoring, instead of purchasing… I’m just got a thing about original metal. Wait to you see my core support! All 68!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was out in the shed today and I looked at the 9 sets of factory hinges I have hanging up.
  • One has been resprayed.
  • The other 8 all show signs of the black zinc/cad/phosphate.
  • Several are from original, untouched, unmolested cars and each shows the same finish.
  • There are no cast piece here.

My buddy Paul Kilker has examined these with me on many occasions. He's my finish/plating/coating expert. I'll discuss again with him tonight and will post up his opinion both on hinge finish and springs.

Facebook Event
Old 02-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a discussion this evening with Paul Kilker on this topic. We reviewed pictures and discussed many examples. We believe strongly that this was a black phosphate finish from the factory, and that is true of the springs as well. Paul has many stock examples as do I and they are all similar in finish. With the amount of research and plating he has done, I'm sticking with black phosphate here.

I'll get Paul to sign up on this forum this week!

Facebook Event
Old 02-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Here is a close up picture of the hindge. Since the black is still there after 40+ years I believe it may be black phosphate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hindge4_small.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	158895  

Old 02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up As promised...

Pictures from my little old lady (1-owner prior to me) '68 Tempest. 65,000 miles when I purchased it and original paint except for passenger fender. Sure looks like black (or very dark gray) phosphate to me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1412_web.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	159645   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1413_web.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	159646   Click image for larger version

Name:	tempest.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	159647  

Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the images! I'm having mine plated black phosphate. Was this a front drum or disc car (little old lady)? Has the Master Power booster and Master Brake cylinder been replaced?

Old 02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Little old lady car is power drum brake. Cannot comment on the brake booster, it appears to be original, but do not know. Will take a closer look at that. I had to replace the master cylinder a few weeks back and threw a cheap reman from the local parts store on to keep me going. Had intermittent pedal some days that turned into no pedal. Brakes are a good thing!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's no arguement.

My Hinges are a pleasing sort of factory-original Black phophate, featuring a sort of specular colorations and 1000grit finish that a black paint never provides.

I sold the springs but they WERE INDEED Different, but ony subtle. They were a sort of black-brown coloration, and smooth instead of 1000 grit. Could be a black phosphate yet showed a differing color. I sold these springs because I have a 'glass hood.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I didnt realise ames had two types .I just bought the ones listed seperately part#d133L&R.The finish is raw feels oily, what do you do clean and seal or leave alone, is there any market for buildable cores? should be at what new ones cost