The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-28-2004, 08:29 AM

I have a 1967 GTO car billing history from Pontiac Historic Services for a car I am about to buy. Could someone tell me where the "Engine Unit No" and "Trans Unit No" from the billing sheet are stamped on the block and transmission housing? This is supposed to be a "numbers matching" car so I assume the numbers on the block and transmission must match the numbers on the billing sheet? Thank you.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:29 AM

I have a 1967 GTO car billing history from Pontiac Historic Services for a car I am about to buy. Could someone tell me where the "Engine Unit No" and "Trans Unit No" from the billing sheet are stamped on the block and transmission housing? This is supposed to be a "numbers matching" car so I assume the numbers on the block and transmission must match the numbers on the billing sheet? Thank you.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The engine unit number is stamped on the block right above the two-letter code. The trans number may be the serial of the trans, but I've heard reports that they don't match.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadowjack:
The engine unit number is stamped on the block right above the two-letter code. The trans number may be the serial of the trans, but I've heard reports that they don't match. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my '67 the engine unit number matched perfectly but the trans(TH400) should be
PS 6730 as on the billing history.
Instead the plate has PS 8730.
I feel confident that it is the correct transmission that came with the car.
It is an early TH400 with the type 1 pan/filter.
Possibly some sort of typo?

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 07-29-2004, 06:24 AM

Thank you both for your reply. Yesterday afternoon I was able to contact Jim Mattison, the owner of Pontiac Historic Services, and he confirms both of your statements. The six digit Engine Unit No on the billing sheet is stamped into the block just over the engine code and those numbers should match. Jim said "not to get excited" if one of the six digits was incorrect, because he has seen this from time to time. The Trans Unit No on the billing sheet is a Pontiac tracking number and will not be found on the transmission -- he said that it was more difficult to know if the transmission was original, but we did not get into details.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try here. http://www.teufert.net/trans/tranny.htm