The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-07-2005, 06:58 PM

Default "bullet" type mirrors on a 66.

Has anyone put gm factory "bullet" mirrors on early a-bodies? I am wonder if
this can be done with very little modification. Guess I have gotten use to the bigger mirrors on todays cars, because I dont think those honks behind me are a good thing.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put some on my 68 GTO convert. Only drawback is due to the vent windows - the mirros must go further toward the rear to allow the vent window to open. They take a little getting used to because you have to turn your head further to use them.

Love the look, though.

Bob Trimpe
68 Firebird HO
68 GTO raggy top

Old 09-08-2005, 11:50 AM

Bob,

Thanks for the replay. Can I ask what year/type of car mirror did you use? Also,
where you able to use the remote parts of the mirror? and last, do you have any pitcures?

Thanks,
Rikk

Old 09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mirrors came from a 70s Trans Am. Got them at the TA Nationals swap meet for $10 ea (even the remote one!).

I don't have pics because the car is apart for paint prep, but I did run around with them on the car for a summer. I like 'em.

Regards,
Bob Trimpe

Old 09-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Chief

The 66 I had, had them on it and they didn' t enterfere with the vent windows. I' ll see if I can dig out a picture after work tonight. My firebird also had one on it and it definately got in the way of the vent window.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. I would love to see some pictures. My car is already painted so any help on where they should go would be a great help. Dont want to do to much touch up if you know what I mean. 8)

Old 09-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Chief

My 66 had these on it when I bought it. There cheepos but I plan on using some 70's vintage bullet mirrors in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220206-a.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	26981   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220208-a.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	26982   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8220210-a.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	26983  

Some people say I have A.D.D., but they don't know what they're talk ... hey look, a chicken!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 AM

Hisgto, Nice goat. 8) and thanks for the reminder on those mirrors. I remember getting those for a mustang years ago. I sure hate it how time does not wait for anyone.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking 66 HISGTO. Not to steal this thread, but, make a suggestion/question, can anyone confirm if the round, factory style mirrors will fit on either side? I have a 67 Tempest and am planning on putting the "driver's side" round mirror on the passenger side just to balance out the look. This will work won't it? because it is round?
Thanks

Old 09-14-2005, 01:54 PM

Tempest,

I remember reading something in this forum, that there is a difference in the mirror angle for drivers / pass side. I will try to do a search later to see if I can find that post.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the props guys.

I'm pretty sure there is a "passenger" specific mirror to match the driver's side, not 100% certain.

Some people say I have A.D.D., but they don't know what they're talk ... hey look, a chicken!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe you are correct. There is a 'specific' mirror (part #) for the passenger side, but they are very rare, and thus, very expensive. I figure the round will look fine, how well it will work, well that's another story. I have never driven my car, I purchased it it not running, but from what I have read these mirrors are not very helpful at the best of times.
Thanks,

Old 09-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put some modern sport mirrors on my 70 GTO. These need to be painted to match the car (personally, Im not much into chrome). The mirrors I used are a GM part (now produced in the aftermarket) from the mid to late 90's, and they are electric. The mirrors, door gaskets, pigtails and switch are all still available new. Electric mirrors are one of those modern touches that are hard to live without once youve had them.

Old 09-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

Tom,

I too would prefer some painted sport mirrors, especially electric. Do you have more info on the mirrors you have? Part number? Model they came on originally?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The mirrors themselves are reproductions. You can get them here;

http://www.oldsmobileautobodypartsto...GENCY9847.html

I went with the non heated version for about $70 a side. These mirrors are used on the following cars;
92-99 Buick LeSabre
91-96 Buick Park Ave
92-99 lds 98/LSS
91-96 Olds 98 Regency

Each mirror will need a gasket. GM # 25611677 LH,# 25611676 RH

Each mirror also needs a pigtail (connector that plugs onto the connector that comes on the mirrors with bare wires you can use to hook it all up). The GM # is 12101827. These are fairly expensive (like 40 bucks each), and it would not be to difficult to change the connector on the mirror.

The switch for these mirrors that I used was from the 92-99 Buick Le Sabre. Its GM # 25554276. Its fairly easy to mount. The switch also needs a pigtail, and you will need this one because it has the required connector that plugs into the switch. GM # 12126438.

I used to have copies of the schematic showing how it all wires up, but I seem to have misplaced them. Im sure we could find a set of these.

This conversion, using the parts listed here will cost ~ $280. Not cheap but I have always liked electric mirrors.

If you want pics of the mirrors and the switch, send me your E-mail.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Chief

Tom,

Great web site. I replaced oldsmobile with many of the other car makers in the address and got tons of possibilities.

Thanks for the detailed info on the part numbers. It's a great help.

Definitely shoot me some pictures of your setup; I would love to see how it looks.

dalman5@cox.net

Thanks