The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Default ❓ ❓ HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED AN INTERIOR CABLE TO HOOD LATCH ❓ ❓

Has anyone on these forums or anyoone you know of outside these forums, successfully installed an interior cable pull to the hood latch, on any year A-Body before this ‘option was an option’ and finally standardized within the industry❓
#1> It’s 99% for SECURITY...
#2> It’s CONVENIENT...
#3> It’s just COOL...

A company called controlcables.com I came across in streetroddermagazine.com offers up a nice variety of well made billet interior pull handle options along with any length of cable one needs.

Installing the cable and routing to the hood latch area will be straightforward; I just need advise on if I should work with the existing latch f(which will obviously need modification) OR somehow devise a new latch mechanism out of say...a later model car and then apply that to my ‘65 GTO.

Moreover, maybe there’s an electrical solution using a push/pull actuator/plunger type deal that will accomplish the same task without having to resort to cabling. MAXPERFINC, AMES, NPD, and YEAR ONE all offer remote trunk releases, so that could be an avenue to pursue.

I DO NOT wish to get involved with the venerable ‘hood pins’ whatsoever.

I’m ALL ears and I’d like to absorb any and all advice/feedback and opinions that this rank and file can offer.

Thanks All and Best Regards to Everyone ,
Dave

David Larkins
Email: 65gtotrips@gmail.com
Call/Text: (610) 842-7905 - cell

Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never done it, but it would seem to be fairly straight forward to install and electric solenoid type hood latch release.
12v solenoid with the right length throw
Some small hardware to attach and link to latch
Wire and momentary contact switch

Much like the solenoid electric trunk release on many 68 GTOs

Old 01-25-2018, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is the one the F body guys use along with a Lokar cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Upper-L...-/332425981412

This guy sells it already made up.

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/8...Hood+latch+diy

Should be possible to do something similar for an A body.

Don