Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-23-2023, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Touchy brakes

I bought a 1962 Bonneville that the previous owner had front disc brakes installed on. He bought Ames' kit that did not come with a master cylinder, booster or combination valve. The installer used a tiny street rod booster, some odd master cylinder and an aluminum valve for who knows what. When I got the car the brakes didn't work worth crap. I installed a 9 inch dual diaphram booster from Master Power Brakes and a 1&1/8 inch master from a 1975 Pontiac. After that the brakes worked well except for the last few feet when you stop. Those last few feet the brakes are very grabby. The car will stop ok but you have to be careful not to lock them up. Any ideas?

Old 08-24-2023, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it just the rears that lock up or all 4? if just the rears (or all 4), check or replace the prop valve, the original one on the car may not be calibrated for the new booster/master?

Also check the adjustment of the rear drums, might be set too tight causing them to be grabby or lock up?

Old 08-24-2023, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Feels like just the front brakes.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same think happened to a friends 62 with 8 lugs when he had a dual master put on the car.Will find out what the fox was.Tom