Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-09-2023, 05:52 PM

Default brake problem

i put a new brake booster, master cylinder, and the valve under master cylinder, brake line kit with new hoses now my pedal doesn't come up quick enough gotta pull it up at intersection if im in a hurry seems like it needs a spring on it what could cause this ? did i get a bad booster? 74 trans am worst part is there wasn't anything wrong with them before just did it all for looks ... thanks for any advice... tony

Old 09-09-2023, 07:28 PM
Senior Chief

Possibly pushrod or linkage interference/binding. How was the master cylinder return when you did the bench bleed?

Dave

79 Firebird
Old 09-09-2023, 10:24 PM

seemed like it worked fine. the vacuum seems to hold the pedal down , it doesn't stick when the engine isnt running

Old 09-10-2023, 12:24 AM
Suspended

The vacuum isn't stronger than the internal spring in the booster that returns it. Check the linkage, as mentioned, around where the rod connects to the pedal, make sure it isn't catching or the retainer moving somehow. A return spring only hides the problem, it was used on manual brake cars. You can still use both if you wanted to tweak it, but don't want enough of a spring there that it hides a brake issue.