Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-15-2023, 11:55 PM

Default Control Arm and Coil Spring Recommendations - 1980 T/A

I am working on cleaning-up the front end of my 1980 Trans Am with new rotors, calipers. I've sanded and painted the core support, firewall, cowl and wheelhouses. So, everything under the hood looks great, except for the rusty, nasty 43 year old control arms!

I've looked at all the tubular brands (Hotchkis, UMI, BMI and PTFB). They look awesome, but I find that every one tends comes with either a poly or Delrin control arm bushing. So, I'm very concerned about spending a ton of money for these things, only to find I hate driving my car do to increased NVH.

Next is something I've needed to address since installing my 455: Coil springs. This car was originally a 301 4bbl car with factory A/C. But, with the increased weight of the 455, there are times when I hit a good dip in the road and it'll bottom out in the front. I have Bilstein shocks on all 4 corners and they do help, but I realize that I need a better coil spring.

So, what's everybody's recommendation for control arms and coil springs? To help, this car is a cruiser mainly, but I do enjoy driving hard at times. Rear leafs are new from PTFB: Pro GT leafs. Thanks!!

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 6-Speed, LS6 block, TEA LS6 heads, 4" SCAT forged crank, SCAT H-Beam rods, 226/234 cam, McLeod RST clutch, SLP Lid, SLP Power Flo Catback
1980 Pontiac Trans Am Y-84 Bandit WS6, 455 (.030 over), #96 Heads, Hedman headers, Wolverine 234/244 cam, Performer intake, Holley Sniper
"Need a car to run blocker. Speedy car. Speedier than that....."
Old 09-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you plan to do some auto crossing or road racing theres not much benefit to tubular arms for a street car, plus as you found they are expensive! If you feel the need for them i would stick with PTFB, most their parts are priced much better than the bigger guys.

I would have the stock arms cleaned & repainted then install your choice of bushings, the delrin bushings are great & wont make the car ride any harder, poly are OK but will squeak eventually. Just need to decide the purpose of the car & your budget, for a street car stock arms are fine... that 4th gen in the garage will handle better in stock form than most mild built suspension 2nd gens.

For springs, again it comes down to what you want with the car, I have stock moog replacement springs in 2 of my 2nd gen cars, they usually sit too high so i cut 1 full coil to get about a 1" drop over stock, stiffened them up a tad too. On another car I have PTFB GT springs for pontiac engines, sits about the same as the cut moog springs but are stiffer that help stop bottoming out & match the rear GT springs, Im very happy with the PTFB springs. I use their adjustable shocks set in the middle for street use and the ride is actually better than the other 2 cars with stock springs & shocks.

Old 09-16-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Unless you plan to do some auto crossing or road racing theres not much benefit to tubular arms for a street car, plus as you found they are expensive! If you feel the need for them i would stick with PTFB, most their parts are priced much better than the bigger guys.

I would have the stock arms cleaned & repainted then install your choice of bushings, the delrin bushings are great & wont make the car ride any harder, poly are OK but will squeak eventually. Just need to decide the purpose of the car & your budget, for a street car stock arms are fine... that 4th gen in the garage will handle better in stock form than most mild built suspension 2nd gens.

For springs, again it comes down to what you want with the car, I have stock moog replacement springs in 2 of my 2nd gen cars, they usually sit too high so i cut 1 full coil to get about a 1" drop over stock, stiffened them up a tad too. On another car I have PTFB GT springs for pontiac engines, sits about the same as the cut moog springs but are stiffer that help stop bottoming out & match the rear GT springs, Im very happy with the PTFB springs. I use their adjustable shocks set in the middle for street use and the ride is actually better than the other 2 cars with stock springs & shocks.
Have you had Delrin bushing in your car? How is the NVH?

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 6-Speed, LS6 block, TEA LS6 heads, 4" SCAT forged crank, SCAT H-Beam rods, 226/234 cam, McLeod RST clutch, SLP Lid, SLP Power Flo Catback
1980 Pontiac Trans Am Y-84 Bandit WS6, 455 (.030 over), #96 Heads, Hedman headers, Wolverine 234/244 cam, Performer intake, Holley Sniper
"Need a car to run blocker. Speedy car. Speedier than that....."
Old 09-16-2023, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have not used the delrin bushings in my cars but am seriously considering them for the 72 with PTFB suspension, I have read nothing but good reviews on them though. The way they work by allowing the arms to move freely should be a big improvement over stock rubber that have resistance & binding. I think a few members on here use the delrin, maybe they will comment.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:47 PM

I have SPC arms with Delrin bushings up front and UMI arms with roto-joints(delrin) in the back. They articulate very smoothly. But you gotta keep ‘em greased. I personally don’t think the NVH is bad. My car has surprised a lot of people handling wise. Most don’t think you can get an old muscle car to hustle.

SPC does offer rubber mounted control arms for your car:

https://www.spcalignment.com/compone...AFrom&to=USATo

https://www.spcalignment.com/compone...AFrom&to=USATo

They are a bit spendy, but summit has em listed for far less than MSRP on their website. What sold me on the SPC uppers in particular was the adjustability. You adjust camber/caster by changing the length of the control arm, no more shims. The alignment guys love em.