Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-18-2023, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default 14" rally II wheels that fit front disk brakes

Are there some 14" Rally II that will and won't fit front disk brakes? What should I look for at the local swap meet? It's a 71 T 37

Old 09-19-2023, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

PontiacServer.com list the the Rally II wheels by code and also shows which wheels fit disc brake cars. You should be able to find the info you need there.

Old 09-19-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Keep in mind that not all brake kits are created equal. When it comes to 14" rally wheels and disc brakes, be prepared to trim caliper mounts and clearance calipers as well. Almost nobody markets a 14" capable disc brake kit, nearly universally requiring 15" wheels or larger. As a result they aren't designing and manufacturing parts for tight clearances.

I can almost guarantee you'll be modifying some parts.

If you don't already have wheels, I would strongly recommend going to a 15" rally ii, if that's your wheel of choice.

Old 09-19-2023, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Two different versions of the GTO 67-69 Rally II wheels for disc or drums. From 70 on they fit disc or drum.
Codes from the GTO Identification Guide, 68 Service Manual

67 -69
Drum - JC
Disc - JA

Early - JL
Late - JT

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2023, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Keep in mind that not all brake kits are created equal. When it comes to 14" rally wheels and disc brakes, be prepared to trim caliper mounts and clearance calipers as well. Almost nobody markets a 14" capable disc brake kit, nearly universally requiring 15" wheels or larger. As a result they aren't designing and manufacturing parts for tight clearances.

I can almost guarantee you'll be modifying some parts.

If you don't already have wheels, I would strongly recommend going to a 15" rally ii, if that's your wheel of choice.
You are talking about aftermarket disk brakes, right?

Hopefully this warning doesn't apply to factory disc brakes ???

Old 09-19-2023, 01:30 PM

All the factory disc brake setups will fit 14” disc brake wheels no problem.

It’s most of the aftermarket kits that have issues fitting 14” disc brake wheels and usually require 15” wheels, this does not apply to factory setups.

My ‘64 Le Mans convertible has a ‘69 GP 11” disc brake setup with 14x6” disc brake steel wheels, no issues of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2023, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
You are talking about aftermarket disk brakes, right?

Hopefully this warning doesn't apply to factory disc brakes ???
Yes, aftermarket brake kits designed with stock components.

If you have verified factory brackets with verified factory calipers, you should be able to get away with it. There were of course factory equipped disc brake cars with 14" wheels. It's why there are wheels designed around that.

The problem is the replacement parts. They aren't made to the standards that they were when they were new. I don't even know if there are original equipment repops of the caliper brackets anymore.

So you end up going to SSBC or RightStuff Detailing, or any of the slew of companies that make disc conversions and you end up with parts that don't quite work because it costs extra to snip off the top of the caliper brackets, or machine down the casting flash on the back of the caliper.

Old 09-19-2023, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
All the factory disc brake setups will fit 14” disc brake wheels no problem.

It’s most of the aftermarket kits that have issues fitting 14” disc brake wheels and usually require 15” wheels, this does not apply to factory setups.

My ‘64 Le Mans convertible has a ‘69 GP 11” disc brake setup with 14x6” disc brake steel wheels, no issues of course.
Strongly agree with above statement:
My 1969 GTO 14 inch JA wheel fit my 69 GTO with factory disc brakes (as manufactured) - I tried using same JA wheel on my 64 GTO with aftermarket disc brake kit from Inline tube and caliper corner rubbed on inner wheel

The Following User Says Thank You to 69hardtop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2023, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Yes, aftermarket brake kits designed with stock components.

If you have verified factory brackets with verified factory calipers, you should be able to get away with it. There were of course factory equipped disc brake cars with 14" wheels. It's why there are wheels designed around that.

The problem is the replacement parts. They aren't made to the standards that they were when they were new. I don't even know if there are original equipment repops of the caliper brackets anymore.

So you end up going to SSBC or RightStuff Detailing, or any of the slew of companies that make disc conversions and you end up with parts that don't quite work because it costs extra to snip off the top of the caliper brackets, or machine down the casting flash on the back of the caliper.
This helps, thank you!