Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-23-2023, 08:32 PM

Default Springs

My 1970 GTO runs lower on the left side. Than it does the right. What would be the easiest fix for this? Swapping the rear sbrings side to side. Or what would you recommend?

Old 10-24-2023, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Easiest would be to put the appropriate thickness spacer on the left side.

Summit carries them - here is a link for the '70 GTO:

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

Last edited by The Champ; 10-24-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-01-2023, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Where are you measuring from? My wife and I ran into this issue with her 71 Chevelle. We initially tried what The Champ suggested by adding spacers on the sagging side. This had little to no effect. We then moved on to control arms and new springs since what was in the car was unknown. This as well had little to no effect, but we kept stacking shims in the control arms.

Eventually we somewhat leveled the car out this way, but it drove as if it had a lot of wedge in it...because it did.

Once we really started taking measurements on the car and the factory locations and at points on the frame, we discovered that this wasn't a suspension issue at all. Body panels had been hung on the car in a half hazard way which made it appear the car sat uneven.

My point here is that you need to determine where the issue is before taking a lot of time to swap things around, or throwing money at stuff.

Start with frame measurements at various points on each side. I would measure from the front of the frame horns, just aft of the front wheels, just forward of the rear wheels and again at the rear frame ends. What you're looking for is anything that could show that the frame itself may be bent or twisted. For instance, a twist in the frame may show that opposing frame ends on a diagonoly might be higher than the other side of the car. This would effect not only how the car sits, but how the sheet metal is hung.

If you have one side of the frame that is consistently higher than the other side, I'd try swapping the springs left to right and see if the lean follows. That would indicate a suspension problem.
If you're finding that the side to side measurements at the various points are pretty equal, that would indicate a body mounting issue. If this is the case, take measurements at the corners, tops of wheel wells, rock panels etc. You may find your issue there.