The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the correct way for a hobbyist to strip a car to bare metal? My car has 4 billion layers of old paint from numerous paint jobs.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 01-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead
What is the correct way for a hobbyist to strip a car to bare metal? My car has 4 billion layers of old paint from numerous paint jobs.
Get yourself a good DA and 80 grit and go and get you some.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds a little on the high side as far as paint/materials go. My funny took just over $1000 in paint, and it's got 6 colors on it! A single color should be much less (unless you want it red).

Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s
if you dont take to bare metal in sure 3-5 is in the cards.My local guy does a scratch and shoot for $2-3K BUT it is a year wait to get a car in.The nice thing is,it is a small shop and if the car gets in it get out VERY fast.Tom
Hey Tom, I'm local, anyway you can refer me to your painter? My LeMans needs paint, and I can definitely wait a year or so - thanks...as far as the 10K for a driver, non-numbers, I personally wouldn't do it. Will you want to drive it in the rain? Constantly worry about door dings, road chips, etc? I'd spend 10K on the GTO and 'bird if I could afford it, maybe I will down the road, and those are cars I drive all weekend long, unless it's raining - good luck with whatever you do, keep us informed...

Old 01-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM me for his name and number.You will need to go by and see him and talk to him about getting on the list.I know he is planning to move his operation to Pomona next year.DONT try and call him and talk about painting a whole car.Tom

Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Suspended

I have a '70 OO Judge with it's original block. I wouldn't pay 10K to have it painted. I might put that much into panel replacement AND paint. I'd probably go over 10K a fair amount, but not for just paint.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Before and after photos........$4000 and 3 months later This goes to show that patients and the the help of good friends will pay off in the long run! Both quarters needed to be cut and replaced along with the section between the door and quarter, I added the installation of a rear power antenna, hoodtach and spoiler was added after his original estimate.........car looks great...... nice trunk spatter .........car perfect for an daily driver......... will upload other photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0269 (2).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	145628   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0287 (2).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	145629  

Old 10-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great and at a price you could afford!

Old 10-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Chief

I got quoted $4k for a rust repair, (window chanels front & rear and rear quarters). Then a good scratch and shoot. My car is pretty strait. The other quote was $10k but the guy said he would not do the car without a complete strip. The $10k would be a show quality I know from other examples of work he has done. The big problem is that I actualy want to drive the car and don't want to worry myself to death about where I park and what not. Worst thing is the car is Black. If I had a little more confidence in my metal work I would do the strip and metal work then spring for a awsome $3K paint job with them doing the final block work.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Suspended

I run a bodyshop that is getting ready to close. My 67 is in the shop now getting ready for a free pain job

Free paintjob, great, losing job, not so great

Old 10-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone View Post
I run a bodyshop that is getting ready to close. My 67 is in the shop now getting ready for a free pain job

Free paintjob, great, losing job, not so great
Scott

I had no idea...sorry to hear that. With your rentals and the gas station you should be ok, right?

Unless nobama gets elected - then you'll need to spring for health insurance for your employees...

Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
Scott

I had no idea...sorry to hear that. With your rentals and the gas station you should be ok, right?

Unless nobama gets elected - then you'll need to spring for health insurance for your employees...
Oh yeah, we'll be fine. Stacey has been laid of since June, and we always live within our means.
We just bought the gas station, and our other investments take care of us.

Do you really think HE could pass such a bill, without quite a few years of political wrangling with congress?
I would hope not. If I were forced to provide health care, I would fire everyone and just my wife, our manager, and myself would work there.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Mook,NICE!! The weather is gonna be great this weekend . I'd see how many tanks of gas I could go thru in 48 hours . Life is short ,enjoy the sh!@# out of it !!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue goats View Post
Mook,NICE!! The weather is gonna be great this weekend . I'd see how many tanks of gas I could go thru in 48 hours . Life is short ,enjoy the sh!@# out of it !!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys........when I mentioned "help from good friends" I was referring to you guys on this board.......!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
This may sound crazy, but I'm considering having my GTO painted in Mexico.. I live in San Diego, and work with some folks who live in Mexico and know some body shops there.
They specialize in insurance deals, but are willing to do my gto as well.
The advantage is they can put a lot of time into it for a small fraction of the cost of a US body shop... of course there is a quality question, and also a problem keeping the car insured while its in Mexico (its worth more than 10 bucks).
The guy I spoke to said the most I could ever possibly pay for a paint job, including stripping it down to the metal, would be $3k.
What do you think?
Fred

The way things are in mexico right now theres a fair chance your baby would make the trip down & never return. Good luck finding an honest mexican cop to help you get your GTO back...

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 10-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
Before and after photos........$4000 and 3 months later This goes to show that patients and the the help of good friends will pay off in the long run! Both quarters needed to be cut and replaced along with the section between the door and quarter, I added the installation of a rear power antenna, hoodtach and spoiler was added after his original estimate.........car looks great...... nice trunk spatter .........car perfect for an daily driver......... will upload other photos

dude that;s a beautiful Pontiac.

as for me, i just blew (heh) $1500 on an air compressor next i'm learning how to PAINT.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 AM

I can see Im in the wrong business. I think Ill go to the community college and take some autobody classes, build a spray booth and do one now and again and rathole some dollars. Ive never even had a classic car I gave 10000 for let alone spend that on a paint job.WOW!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Sorry for going off topic before Mook, your car looks great. Mine won't look nearly as good as we're doing a bandaid paintjob, we're not even removing the trim

Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone View Post
Sorry for going off topic before Mook, your car looks great. Mine won't look nearly as good as we're doing a bandaid paintjob, we're not even removing the trim
Are you even using a paint gun, or are you using rattle cans?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Back to topic, seriously - the car does look great - I had my 'bird painted a few years ago and they did a HORRIBLE job. I ended up getting most of my $$$ back and signed off on the warranty...friggin' jerk off painter...

Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67blackcherry View Post
Are you even using a paint gun, or are you using rattle cans?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Back to topic, seriously - the car does look great - I had my 'bird painted a few years ago and they did a HORRIBLE job. I ended up getting most of my $$$ back and signed off on the warranty...friggin' jerk off painter...
Oh it's being done right, besides not removing all my cruddy trim. So far the roof, deck lid, and tops of the quarters are in primer and look great. My body tech is doing a sweet job. We should roll it in the booth week after next.
The good thing is I am tight with these guys, and they are putting their pride into it.