THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

[QUOTE=67blackcherry;There's a Hurricane out at Chino? My business partner is a volunteer out there (works on/drives the Sherman & Stuart tanks, not the planes) and he's never mentioned a Hurricane.[/QUOTE]
At the time,it was on it's way there.THis was years ago.Coulda just been for a show.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I ...Their P-47 and P-38 they have are spectactular. The "jug" is just flat out cool, and I prefer them to P-51's...
Since we've gone off track here, I will say that our taste in aircraft is pretty much in lockstep. The P-47 and P-38 vie for top billing in my favorites list (but as a Lockheed guy, the Lightning holds a special place for me). Both were unfairly overshadowed by the Mustang. My "dream hangar" also includes a FW-190 and the F7F.

I once saw a picture of a dirt field filled with P-38s, gear up, stacked 3 high for as far as the eye could see. There were hundreds of them, available for $1400 each. I'd love to see that picture again, yet not really...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I've seen those post war graveyards, and it's hard to believe how those planes were melted down to make baby carriages and bed frames. What an unceremonious way to end the lives of those planes that saved the world....

I love the P-51D and what those planes did to win the war, but there's something about the P-38 and P-47 that I've always admired. The toughness and speed of the P-47, and the elegance and innovativeness of the P-38.

By the way, I thought this was an interesting comment on how America used to be. When the P-47 was going into full production, they needed to move the main plant away from the coast for fear of a bombing attack. They selected Indiana as the location. From the time the first shovel hit the ground, to building this enormous factory, the first P-47's were rolling off the line in 6 MONTHS. Think about that. If they ran things in 1943 the way they do in 2009, they would have been bickering about contracts, unions, taxpayer funding, lobbyists, and the first P-47 would have rolled off the line in 1959, with German markings of course, because we would have lost the war.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Off the subject here also, but I sighted a B-17 being trailed closely by a P-51 on Monday evening in Michigan City, IN.
They were quite low, not much higher than 3,000-4,000 feet in my estimation.
Headed in a southwesterly direction.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)

Last edited by Lightfoot; 07-30-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Think about that. If they ran things in 1943 the way they do in 2009, they would have been bickering about contracts, unions, taxpayer funding, lobbyists, and the first P-47 would have rolled off the line in 1959
Nah, the factory would never have been built what with Environmental Impact Reports and lawsuits over the red legged horny toad and their diminishing habitat

Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chino Air Museum is a great facility as well with most of the planes on disply still airworthy. A few years back they used to roll one or two out once a month and put on a aerial disply. I'm not sure if they still do that. My dad and I went for the P-38/Zero demo and the Jug demo. Very cool. The modern fighters are awesome but there's just something about the WWII vintage aircraft that's special. I'd rather watch a formation of P-47's fly over vs. a formation of F-16's.

A couple of years back the POCI National was in Ontario, CA. One of the outings was to the Chino Air Museum where they had dinner in one of the hangers and an opportunity to have you car photgraphed alongside a P-51D. Here's mine:

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Off the subject here also, but I sighted a B-17 being trailed closely by a P-51 on Monday evening in Michigan City, IN.
They were quite low, not much higher than 3,000-4,000 feet in my estimation.
Headed in a southwesterly direction.
www.collingsfoundation.org

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am fully aware it's AIR FORCE museum...(:- I just like a bit of "varitety". I missed the German planes, though. No literature or displays were pointed out. Perhaps my visit was before that display was complete?

I believe many of the planes from the old Ontario museum (gone so they could expand the airport...) went to the Chino museum. At one time in Ontario, they had three functioning B-17s, which were used filming the TV show "12 O'clock High". I remember seeing a "G" model there once, too.

Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona, is another great place to see old planes. The "Confederate Air Force" is based there. They sell "rides" in a B-25 Mitchell. They HAVE a B-29, and "word" is they're trying to get it "flight ready". I would LOVE to hear that thing take off!

P-38? Awesome plane, too! Fast, but took "3 states" to make a turn "at speed"...

Any Air Cobra fans? Black Widows? The "list" of old planes that are beyond "cool" can go on for hours...(:-

F7F was mentioned. I've seen Wildcats, Hellcats, Bearcats and Panthers, what was the "7"?

Jim

Old 07-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
F7F was mentioned. I've seen Wildcats, Hellcats, Bearcats and Panthers, what was the "7"?

Jim
Grumman Tigercat. It's a twin radial job with a narrow fuselage.
Kalamazoo Air Musium has one that is airworthy.
When they have air shows, they have a feature called "Six Cats" all in formation:
Wildcat, Hellcat, Tigercat, Bearcat, Panther, Tomcat.

I like the Air Cobras for their unique layout. I've heard they have balance quirks with that mid-engine though.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The conservative enclave in a land of liberals; South Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
A couple of years back the POCI National was in Ontario, CA. One of the outings was to the Chino Air Museum where they had dinner in one of the hangers and an opportunity to have you car photgraphed alongside a P-51D. Here's mine:

Great picture!
I'm a Republic guy, cause Dad was a Thud pilot. I love the Jug, the Thud, and the A-10. Thing about Republic planes, they could take a beating and still get the pilot home. Growing up in Las Vegas, our neighbor was a corporate pilot for the MGM Grand back in the 70s, he said he and his buddies would buy P-51, Corsairs, etc in the early 50s for maybe a grand, and that was for the really clean ones.

Maybe a grand...

Old 07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always liked the P-39 and P-63. What's not to love about a WWII Warbird that uses a car door to get into the cockpit? The Dayton Museum also has a P-63 Black Widow, a very rare sight nowadays (it's been in their collection for decades now). They still have a Ju52 sitting outside (also been there forever), and it still looks like it's flyable (no way it is, but it appears as if it flew in about 3 years ago, curtains on the windows, engines intact). One nice thing about the Ju52 "Iron Annie", the rain sure washes off that thing wel with all the corrugated panels! They also have a V-1 and a V-2, although the V-2 is on its side on the transport carrier, not standing up. The Dayton Museum also still has "Bockscar" (the Nagasaki B-29), and you can do a walk-thru of a B-29 fuselage.

This is the Me262A-1a/U4, with the big ass 50 mm cannon in the nose that I referred to earlier. I can't imagine being in the chin turret of a B-17G over Berlin, flak all around, Fw190's and Me109's all over, crewmen screaming out where bandits are coming in, and then seeing this thing coming at you, at 500 mph, with no propellors....

The Greatest Generation saved the world, and they never complained. Today, whiny little Liberals cry when they see a video of a terrorist having their cookie taken away, forced to drink water without a lemon twist, and don't have cable TV.

For any WWII veteran reading this, thank you again for saving the world. We will never forget....

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, check out the ordinance hanging from under this F-4 Phantom at the Dayton Museum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2372.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	176606  

Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Grumman Tigercat. It's a twin radial job with a narrow fuselage...
The only thing better than a P&W R-2800 on a airplane is TWO of 'em!

...pure sex.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

For those that might be interested, on The Military channel at 7pm (EST) tonight Wings of the Luftwaffe, Me 262 and AR 234.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:06 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...=p4506.c0.m245

This is for cobrabill . . . thought he would like this listing.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Suspended

Nice car.But gonna be a boatload of work for somebody.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Hav'nt logged on this site for along time. But Thought I would contribute to the topic of warbirds. These were taken at a local museum that my dad works at. He started on Sabre's in the early 50's when he joined the R.C.A.F.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1521.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	178928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	178929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	178930   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1555.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	178931  

Old 08-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Here's somemore. When he joined up he was saying he could have bought an ex R.C.A.F P-51 for $500 as the Govt was phasing them out. Also another museum about an hour south of me has an airworthy Mk X Hurricane,but they never fly it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	178932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	178933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	178934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	178935  

Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona, is another great place to see old planes. The "Confederate Air Force" is based there. They sell "rides" in a B-25 Mitchell. They HAVE a B-29, and "word" is they're trying to get it "flight ready". I would LOVE to hear that thing take off!

Jim
DO you have any idea which '29 they have?

My Dad was a crew Chief on Saipan. 29's are great birds, huge for a prop plane tho.

When they first put the 29 exhibit in at Dayton we went down with him and took the tour. That was a good day, Dad enjoyed it immensly. The POCI eventwas the first time since he died that I've been back. The boys loved it, Bock's Car brought back a lot of good memories.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Senior Chief

I could never afford the real deal. Any of you folks collect the old control line stuff?
Cox, comet, Wen Mac, Aurora?

Here's a small part of my total collection. Also an unrestored Wen Mac P-38 twin .049 for Hogt. My fav. of them all. I really like the ol' Wen Mac birds. Air Cobra etc.

Last edited by SJMule; 09-16-2009 at 11:09 PM.