THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:02 PM

You guys hit on a bunch of good things to miss, but there are just as many reasons to be glad the 80s and 90s are history.
Today you can walk into many car dealerships and purchase a car with 400+ hp, if not more, pulls close to 1gs in the corners, gets 30 mpg and doesn't have a bone jarring ride. Try that in the 80s
You can use your cell phone to access the internet and locate, order parts 24/7. Or use it to give you voiced step by step directions on how to get to a location without pulling out one of those bulky, folded-up paper maps and trying to remember each turn. Or call across the country without long distance charges.

And of course, use it to find and post information on the PY forum while sitting on your couch and watching your big, 3d flatscreen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blackened For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I miss the late 50s, the 60s, the 70s, and the 80s. The 90s sucked for me. And since 2009 when IT took office, it has sucked for all of us.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I miss the early 90s, cheap gas, good economy, older cars seemed much more common and affordable, junkyards had interesting iron, Grunge appeared on the scene, watching Twin Peaks on TV, but most of all being young.

80s were good too, in high school you didn't have a care in the world, and both decades had good music unlike todays (c)rap and manufactured garbage.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
You guys hit on a bunch of good things to miss, but there are just as many reasons to be glad the 80s and 90s are history.
Today you can walk into many car dealerships and purchase a car with 400+ hp, if not more, pulls close to 1gs in the corners, gets 30 mpg and doesn't have a bone jarring ride. Try that in the 80s
You can use your cell phone to access the internet and locate, order parts 24/7. Or use it to give you voiced step by step directions on how to get to a location without pulling out one of those bulky, folded-up paper maps and trying to remember each turn. Or call across the country without long distance charges.

And of course, use it to find and post information on the PY forum while sitting on your couch and watching your big, 3d flatscreen.
That's a good post!

Yes, we are living in "the time" right now for high performance cars...not some 80s/90s POS box F body....or fixing up some rolling death trap for our kids to drive.

Try a flat 13 second on a LS2 GTO you can buy with a couple months salary for most..put few grand in it and you are in 11's on street, riding with A/C on across the US.

My gosh, look at the performance engines and parts GM is cranking out, and where its all going!

Some folks just want to re-live the past because they think it was "better:" and it really wasn't from a performance perspective...

i.e: if they couldn't afford a nice car then they probably cant now....

PS: not aimed at you Jerry, as I know your OP was about your/wifes health/and other situation.....can understand that one completely....

Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 PM

Smile technology

I love technology it makes a lot of stuff easier , but when it gets in the wrong hands it goes wrong much faster.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I miss the 80s.

I graduated college with an engineering degree at the depths of a recession (1982) and went to work for IBM earning awesome money.

Within the first six months, I bought a 60K mile 1970 Formula 400 and a 1971 GTO 455HO Automatic.

Over the next six months, I bought a 70 T/A 4-spd with the wrong motor, a Lucy Blue 71 T/A automatic, wrecked my 71 GTO 455HO, sold my 70 T/A, and bought a heavily modified 70 T/A. The 70 T/A eventually ended up with a Ram IV headed 455 with a 428 crank, 4-spd, and 3.73 gears. That car was a blast to drive.

Mike

Old 01-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Suspended

I miss the 80s and 90s too. And there was an intenet in the 90s. There was a bit of internet in the 80s. Bulletin boards were around.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really missed the 80's, woke up in the 90's!!

Old 01-23-2014, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
...There was no internet, therefore no Ebay, no Cars-on-line, and most of all no PY Forums....

...Even though most months my phone bill ran in the 100's of dollars; I miss the time I spent every day talking to other car folks. Generally I would spend 2-4 hours a day on the phone looking for cars, parts, etc., or fielding calls from car friends looking for the same....
sorry, no.

The internet is the best damn thing to hit the car hobby - period. Where else can you find other 1927 Hupmobile owners or find out that urethane pads are a no-no with composite springs?

You still can visit your friends, that has not gone away.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scarebird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WHAT I MISS..OF THE 80S.

I hadnt lost anyone i loved to death in the 80s

i miss mall hair/big haired bimbos in leather mini skirts and jackets

i miss being able to cruise around south STL and see muscle cars on every small car lot in town

i miss crusing White castles, and drg racing after..

I miss how motivated i was in the 80s..

I miss 80s music

I miss MTV when they actually palyed videos i liked

i miss my ex..Vicki..she loved my Black GTO..she'd warsh it and everything (south St Louis...it was warsh..zinc for sink..ice box...i could go on for hrs and hrs (she could too)

i miss Taylors junk yard..100s of 60s cars drug in there every week..lots of GTOs...

i miss how much time i had to work on cars in the 80s..i had a ton of good cars...

I miss big haired/mall haired bimbos that wore leather mini shirts and jackets

i miss how simple things where in the 80s..i got up..went to work, came home.worked on a car..went out..and did it again..easy peasy...

i miss the house and neighbors i grew up in/with

did i mention mall haired bimbos??

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following User Says Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark, did you have a mullet?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis kirban View Post
Interesting concept one I can relate to. Appreciate thread starter mentioning my GTO monthly publication. Concerning that I do a weekly free email to my turbo buick customers comes out every Wednesday and since its free (tough to complain what I write about) I cover different things of interest and also try to include memories from my past. Of note recently as many of you may know Hemmings turns 60 years old this year and I touched briefly on how I would put my cars for sale in Hemmings having sold around 30 GTOs and maybe two dozen Mopars.

I definately remember cameras with film...first as a wedding photographer while in High School. This would have been 1964-65 time frame and in Vietnam as that was my job in Vietnam being a photographer and editor for the 17th Aviation Group.....(only black and white film in Vietnam).

I can remember struggling to get $3500 for an all original 1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III 4 speed low miles in the early 1980s the one that is on that huge poster under a different name but photographed on my street.

Wanna really cry...I remember owning a black on black original paint 1966 GTO hardtop 4 speed tri-power with Hurst wheels on it. Think I paid around two grand for it.....

More examples when I first started to strip GTOs and Lemans I had a GTO that had those red plastic fender liners on it. I thought they were aftermarket so I never removed them.

In some respects I did make the right decisions and equally made a bunch of wrong ones.
Trick is to get thru life on the plus side.

sorry for being a little long winded.

denniskirban@yahoo.com
How times flies! I remember and have Hemmings 50th Anni "White Cover" issue still on my library archives. Remember that issue?

Too - the 35 picture taking, spending $100s of dollars developing them, waiting for "fast processing" and then "Hand Scanning" the keepers for posting on then new Pontiac website spending 10 to 12 hours each day doing JUST that. Wow!

Those days were for me were when many a great Pontiac deal, could and would be had, were made. Biggest reason I found great deals was that Pontiacs were a seemingly dirty word and undesirable to "the masses" who passed them by. I still have two 2nd Gen TAs purchased @ bargain prices back then "because nobody liked or wanted them!" It was all about Fox Body Stangs, IROCs, etc. then. I loved blowing many a door in, of the same, with my beloved Ponchos.

Their loss.

Great thread! http://youtu.be/UdeiuqfcTfM

Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Wink

And I must add: those times were before these asinine "Buick" objects "appeared" on every restored or pimped Pontiac!

Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

no mullet..ever...i was a greaser...no mullets...

my dad was ex-military....the butt-woppins where at hand all the time...in my house you miss a hair cut and it was on

no tattoo's either.....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
no mullet..ever...i was a greaser...no mullets...

my dad was ex-military....the butt-woppins where at hand all the time...in my house you miss a hair cut and it was on

no tattoo's either.....
What about spiked hair ? Or the "big" hair with a gallon of Mousse ?

Tattoos

Quote:
WHAT I MISS..OF THE 80S.

I hadnt lost anyone i loved to death in the 80s

i miss mall hair/big haired bimbos in leather mini skirts and jackets

i miss being able to cruise around south STL and see muscle cars on every small car lot in town

i miss crusing White castles, and drg racing after..

I miss how motivated i was in the 80s..

I miss 80s music

I miss MTV when they actually palyed videos i liked

i miss my ex..Vicki..she loved my Black GTO..she'd warsh it and everything (south St Louis...it was warsh..zinc for sink..ice box...i could go on for hrs and hrs (she could too)

i miss Taylors junk yard..100s of 60s cars drug in there every week..lots of GTOs...

?
MTV played music ? Huh ? What ?

South St Louis was not a war zone then, like it is now.

Miss the old White Castle on Manchester in Maplewood

Back then Taylor's (and Speedway) had interesting cars.

K-she played played a variety, too.

Cheap or reasonably priced concerts (Checkerdome memories)

Speaking of big hair "south county girls" seemed to have the biggest hair.

South county was the place to cruise, meet girls and race, now it's dead.

And the girls then : natural, no plastic surgery or silicone.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
And I must add: those times were before these asinine "Buick" objects "appeared" on every restored or pimped Pontiac!

PERFECT !!!!! +2

Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess you could say as a young adult, i grew up ON S.Lindbergh....lots of cars..lots of girls..lots of fun..learned about love..heart ache...what a fast car was...took a couple a$$ whoppins for running my mouth...

the bars...wow..the bars...Shooters..still have dreams about it..Impressions...we called it Infections...there was a reason...Garfields..well that was west county..and on and on...

The Goat whisperer

Last edited by marxjunk; 01-24-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I guess you could say as a young adult, i grew up ON S.Lindbergh....lots of cars..lots of girls..lots of fund..learned about love..heart ache...what a fast car was...tool a couple a$$ whoppins for running my mouth...

the bars...wow..the bars...Shooters..still have dreams about it..Impressions...we called it Infections...there was a reason...Garfields..well that was west county..and on and on...
Impressions, wasn't the place that was at the K-Mart plaza ? Now it's a Hooters I

believe. Lots of muscle circling the place, and plenty of wanna junk too.

That was a place to find an easy girl, and the times I went it had plenty of hotties -

I remember they had "Super Shops" across from White Castle where that large group of

crotch rockets had that huge pile up at the stoplight

The there was the county cops aka "the brown clowns"

('88 I believe)

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

oh..you drank the cool aid...you got it all right

The Goat whisperer

Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
10 years ago we said this about the '70's too!! and it WAS simpler.. no ECM in cars! back to the '80's now.....
I think this deserves to be up here more than once.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goatwgn For This Useful Post: