Old 12-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default So, if I want real (aftermarket) gauges, what are my connection choices?

I really want to have real gauges on the 64, at least oil pressure and temp so I think I could tolerate aftermarket gauges if they looked period on our restored GTO. I also don't want to disconnect the factory warning lights if I can help it. I figure I can use some kind of a T or Y connector for the oil pressure but what can I do about temp? Is there anywhere else I can install a sensor other than the outlet on the front of the intake manifold?

Old 12-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One word: Speedhut.

Excellent made in USA quality, very good price and can customise to suit. Shoot them (or me) a pic and can match the style/font of your OEM speedo, etc.

http://www.speedhut.com/

Old 12-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For oil pressure there is always the plug by the distributor. And if you have the tri power intake you can use the connection flange intended for the vacuum/temp relay. Just get a blank off plate and thread it for the pipe thread your temp sensor has. I know the plate looks a little thin but it works for me..

Old 12-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another option is to put '65 Rally gauges in. These are restored originals, but the metal faced repros are also nice. The 65 Rally gauge adapter harness gets you all the parts you need to modify your existing harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-03 1964-pontiac-gto-dash-view.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	385454  

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Another option is to put '65 Rally gauges in. These are restored originals, but the metal faced repros are also nice. The 65 Rally gauge adapter harness gets you all the parts you need to modify your existing harness.
I ran the 65 gauges for a while and really liked them. Really a nice look Ron!

Tom V.

Got more pics you can upload?

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:58 PM

I recently acquired a64 tripower 4 speed convertible, no gauges, were they not available in 64? Options for factory correct gauges? The 65s work, is that correct?

Old 08-23-2020, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 conv goat View Post
I recently acquired a64 tripower 4 speed convertible, no gauges, were they not available in 64? Options for factory correct gauges? The 65s work, is that correct?
The 65's fit. You need to read and understand the 64 and 65 wiring diagrams to make the dash harness work. You can get the parts you need by buying the 65 rally gauge adapter harness, but it's not plug and play. You need to study and splice.

Also, the 64 fuel sender will not work correctly with the 65 gauge. 64 sender is 30 ohm, 65 is 90 ohm. Swap the sender or swap the gauge.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com