THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I'm thinking of new GMC Terrain or Acadia for Gas Mileage

I'm looking at new GMC vehicle for gas mileage and 'what I can fit into'. I'm 6'2"-250 also I do not flex as good-arthritis. The A pillars lean back so I need to put seat all the way back.Thinking of the Terrain or Acadia so as to go to POCI or Norwalk events. I'm keeping my 2500 GMC for towing. From net the Acadia is more roomy. Opinions? Experiences? Probably a lease. Thank you.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I sat in an Acadia as a rental and the seats were not comfortable at all. It had decent get up and go but I didn’t really care for it. Fuel economy wasn’t great either (like 18-20MPG).

Old 09-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Daughter bought a Acadia Denali recently. One thing I see thats being done with vehicle seats is a very tight closed cell foam. While this lasts, it can feel more firm and less "cush" . At 250 lbs, you might actually like them.
Some, like her Denali have big sneakers. The fuel economy, even with active fuel management, is about as stated above. She gets 22 on highway.
Biggest Issue with this platform has been the power steering rack leaking over the last 10 years. Unsure if that has been remedied. Has a ton of room. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2021, 01:55 PM

We have a 2017 V6 Acadia and love it!
My buddy drives it all the time when we go on long trips he is about 6'2'' he loves it as well, and he has back issues.
It does have a little convertor shudder 4-5 gear mostly happens to my wife I think I just drive it harder and don't notice it.
Get the V-6 much better engine than the 4 cyl.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob

I have a 2019 Equinox Premier - the Chevy clone of the Terrain SLT. In a trip to Nashville last summer to attend the NASCAR race down there, I averaged 35.2 MPG from SE MN to St. Louis, MO on the first leg of the trip. This section is fairly flat, but even in the St. Louis to Nashville segment I still got over 34 MPG.

I find the Equinox to be comfortable - even on long trips.

If I were you, I'd drive one of each for an extended test drive to see if you think the extra cost between a Terrain and an Acadia is worth it to you.

I went with the Equinox because it's a rare situation when I have more than 2 people in the vehicle, so no need for a 3rd row seat. And you'd be amazed at how much you can get into the back of one of these with the rear seats folded down.

Old 09-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I rent midsize SUVs almost every week. Have tried a couple Terrains and Acadia, and while enjoyed them, the fuel economy wasn't great. Terrain size reminded me of the original S-10 Blazer. I'm not your size, but I like vehicles with mass and heft. My personal daily is a 96 Roadmaster wagon with the LT-1

My biggest gripe with the current crop of new vehicles is the headrests are tilted so far forward that I have to remove them and toss them in the back. My co-worker puts them on backwards. Some are impossible to remove without opening up my tool kit.

If you want truly impressive fuel economy you might need to look at Asian vehicles, but the bigger you go for comfort, the more you sacrifice in FE.

Drove a RAV 4 from Blackfoot ID to Bozeman MT through a light snow in the western edge of Yellowstone. Light snow, 50 - 55 mph, automatic all wheel drive. FE graph on the dash stayed pegged at 40 MPG. Dipped into mid 30s at 65 on clear roads.

I more recently drove a Nissan Murano, was a joy to drive compared to the many Rogues I've driven, but the FE was in the low 20s.

Is FE really that big a deal for you compared to the comfort and safety of something larger?

Last edited by einstein; 09-24-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

My issue with both is Front Wheel Drive. My girlfriend had a Yukon Denali, then an Escalade and now to a Toyota 4Runner because she wanted to scale down a bit. The 4Runner does not have the luxury we are looking for but she wanted to downsize. I looked at the Arcadia Denali and Terrain Denali for her next car because she is due but since both are FWD they're out.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 09-24-2021, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I was looking to downsize from my Yukon I would get the V6 AWD Traverse.The thing I like I can get the all around camera system without having to step up to the Denali trim,also think they are better looking than the GMC versions.I had a AWD Terrain before they went to the smaller body and loved it.FWIW,Tom

Old 09-24-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And yes I know its a FWD but never had a issue with the AWD Terrain in the snow at my place in the Sierras and I DO know there is a diff in REALLY bad conditions.Tom

Old 09-24-2021, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

I got a Blazer with the 310 hp 6 cyl. Great ride and I got 31 mpg on the way to florida. . So far great car.. lots of get up and go. A little wider and higher and longer than the equinox type of car.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. I'm going to dealer and take a demo ride. The salesman I know will help me. Bought 2 GMC trucks from him and my wifes KIA Soul on lease that was up i just turned in.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:42 PM
PY VIP

I have a 2020 Ford Escape SEL with the 1.5-liter Ecoboost three cylinder and I love it. Plenty of power, insane mileage (35+ highway and 31 city) and plenty of room inside for me and I am 6'2 and weigh 265. Heated seats are great for my lower back and I have to say, I really love the growl the little triple makes. We opted for the front-driver, as we have no need for AWD in Florida. It actually makes 182 horsepower and will supposedly make a sub 8-second 0-60. From the seat of the pants feel, I think it is accurate. The best part is the engine only weighs 214 pounds and will fit inside an 18-inch cube. For power density, it's a tough package to beat..

We leased a 2018 Escape with the 1.5-liter Ecoboost four cylinder and the triple is much more powerful and better on gas. We liked the 2020 so much more than the 2018 that we bought it and got it for $22,500 on a $31, 900 sticker.

I would recommend the SEL version over the lower-priced versions. It has everything the top of the line Titanium but with the base powertrain. I like the 2.0-liter Ecoboost four for power but it's a little rough on gas for daily driving and it requires AWD. My hopped up GTP got better mileage than my leased 2015 Fusion did with that engine.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 09-28-2021, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I'm looking at new GMC vehicle for gas mileage and 'what I can fit into'. I'm 6'2"-250 also I do not flex as good-arthritis. The A pillars lean back so I need to put seat all the way back.Thinking of the Terrain or Acadia so as to go to POCI or Norwalk events. I'm keeping my 2500 GMC for towing. From net the Acadia is more roomy. Opinions? Experiences? Probably a lease. Thank you.
I’m gonna catch hell for this, but if you have problems moving around or getting in & out of a vehicle try a minivan out. My dad bought one because of that and although they’re not cool, they are very comfortable.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your comfortable loosing you man card get a mini van.I rent them when my friends and I going fishing out of state but not if I think I will know someone.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought about minivan. I'm going to ck all options and like some said take a extended test drive like a weekend test. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post: