THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
Here in mid Minnesota we've gotten 26" of snow in the last week and half and now its -15F.
Anybody got a spare bed in Florida.
That is the Minnesota I remember. Had to pickup my wife just north of Minneapolis after she broke all of her toes in a fall. When I left Racine it was -5 F. By the time I got to her hotel it was -14F.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-06-2022, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has been the craziest weather I've seen in a long time. On New Years Day, it was sunny and warm, with Raleigh setting record highs at 79 degrees. When I went to bed that night, the upstairs temperature was 76. I opened the window to cool things down, but there was no breeze, so it didn't cool off very quickly. I finally turned on the a/c and cooled the temperature down to 73.

Two days later, it's incredibly windy and snowing like crazy. Big wet wind-driven snowflakes, lasting a couple of hours. Nothing stuck on the roads, and a few flakes lasted maybe ten minutes on the ground before melting. By that afternoon, it was sunny again but colder.

Then that night I watch the news, and just north of us the Virginia interstates are at a standstill with people stranded in their cars.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 07:07 AM
Senior Chief

After spending my first 68 years in Northern NY, I will be spending my remaining winters in sunny Florida. I will not miss the cold and snow one bit.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:47 AM
Senior Chief

but, but, but, Global Warming!!! I get it. Summer is hot, winter is cold, wash rinse repeat.

I'm not a fan of cold winters, but for me the change of weather/season marks time and nudges me to get things done.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 01-07-2022, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
After spending my first 68 years in Northern NY, I will be spending my remaining winters in sunny Florida. I will not miss the cold and snow one bit.
Depending upon what part of the Sunshine State you land in you could have three seasons, but if you land south of Orlando you will have ONE season; hot and ungodly humid. Our first winter in S. FL was interesting. After that, it’s just hot and humid ALL the time. Our last Christmas in S. FL it was 91 degrees F and 85 percent humidity. Did I mention taxes? It is true FL has no income tax, but they WOULD tax the wind if they could. Don’t forget about hurricane insurance(statewide) and flood insurance on top of your normal homeowners insurance.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-07-2022, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We got about 3"out in the country. Fluffy stuff,19 now. In town got about 2". I'm sure Chestnut ridge got more,they are near the mountains and ski resorts.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:38 PM
Boost Engineer

I haven't used my big electric start Snow Blower in TWO YEARS.
I open the door and hand the young men that live down the block some Cash after they do the snow removal
and go back to watching TV. My current driveway is only 75 feet long.

When I move to my new house in the country, I will probably contract with a Ford Employee I worked with for 17 years,
(He lives 2 homes away), and have him plow me out with his Tractor and Front End Loader Blade.
$$ for him and more garage time for me.

My new home has a 3 car attached garage and a 4 car detached garage on the property. Much easier to heat vs a large building.

50 x 30 attached and 50 x 45 detached. The new driveway is gravel and 140 feet from the road. No snow blowing for me any more.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
It is snowing now and probably 6 inches on ground in valley but they say a few more inches today and tonight.

This is my last winter in Montana! New Mexico after this. I've had it with snow. ...
you lucky bum!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-07-2022, 03:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Depending upon what part of the Sunshine State you land in you could have three seasons, but if you land south of Orlando you will have ONE season; hot and ungodly humid. Our first winter in S. FL was interesting. After that, it’s just hot and humid ALL the time. Our last Christmas in S. FL it was 91 degrees F and 85 percent humidity. Did I mention taxes? It is true FL has no income tax, but they WOULD tax the wind if they could. Don’t forget about hurricane insurance(statewide) and flood insurance on top of your normal homeowners insurance.
I live in Englewood, about 45 minutes south of Sarasota. 5-10 minutes from the Gulf. I’m only here for the winter months then it’s back to northern NYS. Don’t need flood insurance since I don’t have a mortgage. Sales tax is over two percent less than what I pay in NYS. Temperature has been between 70 - to low 80s. I realize that will change by the time I leave. Right now in my area of NYS the temperature is low single digits with snow.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigergto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Delaware where I am got 3"s of snow last night. Philly and NJ got hit even harder. Probably 6"s for them north of us. This is only the 2nd storm we've had and got 2"s.

I went for coffee this morning and a guy was complaining about the snow. I told him where I was from up on the Canadian border in NY that we didn't measure snow by inches, we measured it by the foot. He just rolled his eyes and took off. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
My new home has a 3 car attached garage and a 4 car detached garage on the property. Much easier to heat vs a large building.

50 x 30 attached and 50 x 45 detached. The new driveway is gravel and 140 feet from the road. No snow blowing for me any more.

Tom V.
50x30 three car garage? Heck, you should be able to six cars in there.

Old 01-07-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
I live in Englewood, about 45 minutes south of Sarasota. 5-10 minutes from the Gulf. I’m only here for the winter months then it’s back to northern NYS. Don’t need flood insurance since I don’t have a mortgage. Sales tax is over two percent less than what I pay in NYS. Temperature has been between 70 - to low 80s. I realize that will change by the time I leave. Right now in my area of NYS the temperature is low single digits with snow.
You’re still in the part of FL with seasons. A friend of mine and his wife recently sold their home in Sarasota and moved to the Panhandle. Barkley said Sarasota had gotten to populate for his liking

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-07-2022, 04:37 PM

Central Mn saw 14-18" of snow last week with 4-6 on top of that a couple days later. First snow since deer hunting early Nov.
Had -33* this morning.
Gonna be +29 tomorrow, then back to -17 on Sun night.
They say it comes around bout the same time every year.
Atleast the days are getting longer now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pav8427 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2022, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It wasn't quite as cold here in the middle of Minneapolis as it was outstate; around -14 last night with a high of zero today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav8427 View Post
At least the days are getting longer now.
And the average temperatures will begin to rise again in a couple weeks.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Moorhead Minnesota, woke up today to -28*F after a blizzard 2 days ago that left a 4' snow drift in my driveway.

The Following User Says Thank You to yahooskidoo For This Useful Post: