THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone Have 68 US Nationals Pics? 68 RAII Bird Pics Needed

Fellas -

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but looking for pics of a 68 Ram Air II Firebird raced at the US Nationals in 1968. It was 4 sp car, likely red at the time, but could have been black. Raced by the Frame Brothers, sponsored by Wells Pontiac in Richmond, Indiana.

Might have also been raced at Columbus OH in 1968.

Please let me know if you have pics or info.

Thanks

Scott

Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Mino probably knows about most of the RA II birds out there. He currently has some ads in the Performance for sale/wanted section. You might PM him.

Bill

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I'd ask Truman Fields or Mike McKinney.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
I'd ask Truman Fields or Mike McKinney.
Names sound familiar but don't know who they are. Got contact info?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Fellas -

I know it's a bit of a long shot, but looking for pics of a 68 Ram Air II Firebird raced at the US Nationals in 1968. It was 4 sp car, likely red at the time, but could have been black. Raced by the Frame Brothers, sponsored by Wells Pontiac in Richmond, Indiana.

Might have also been raced at Columbus OH in 1968.

Please let me know if you have pics or info.

Thanks

Scott
...I ordered a new '68 GTO convertible from Mr. Wells at Wells Pontiac and I remember him telling me they sponsored a couple of race cars and one was in the shop...but so help me, I don't remember what kind of car it was, I was 16 and intent on getting my GTO ordered...I currently own a '69 Judge from Wells Pontiac...I do remember them installing some 421(421 or 428 ?) engines in a few new GTOs for some customers...one was dark blue and one was red

Old 10-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 DAYTONA View Post
...I ordered a new '68 GTO convertible from Mr. Wells at Wells Pontiac and I remember him telling me they sponsored a couple of race cars and one was in the shop...but so help me, I don't remember what kind of car it was, I was 16 and intent on getting my GTO ordered...I currently own a '69 Judge from Wells Pontiac...I do remember them installing some 421(421 or 428 ?) engines in a few new GTOs for some customers...one was dark blue and one was red
Hey, are you from the Richmond area? Remember a 70 RAIV GTO, Peppergreen with black interior (later painted red and then black)? It was sold at Wells Pontiac and spent its entire life in the area until I bought it several years ago from Ed Claypoole. It's in the middle of a frame-off resto. Spoke with the old Wells sales manager, Jim Robertson, but he didn't remember my car.

Did you buy the Carousel Red 69 Judge that was in MCR?

I'm sending you a pm.

Scott

Old 10-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found a little more info on the car, but no pics.

This is from 1968 Indy -

Entry: Frame Bros Pontiac
Driver: Dick Frame, Richmond IN
Car: 68 Pontiac

Someone recommended looking for pictures on Yahoo Stock SS Forum or Facebook and try Mid Size Flyers but for the life of me I can't find either one.

Scott

Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
I'd ask Truman Fields...
Ayup. I fondly remember Truman racing the "Hard Times" Firebird at Edgewater when I lived in Cincinnati. He's a member here.

Hey Truman, you still have that car?

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kind of a shot in the dark but you may look for some old National Dragster papers from that era.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Ayup. I fondly remember Truman racing the "Hard Times" Firebird at Edgewater when I lived in Cincinnati. He's a member here.

Hey Truman, you still have that car?
Truman's was sold this year.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=696851

Old 10-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajunkman View Post
I wish i've have had the cash to buy that great piece of Pontiac history.Somebody got a great car!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Hey, are you from the Richmond area? Remember a 70 RAIV GTO, Peppergreen with black interior (later painted red and then black)? It was sold at Wells Pontiac and spent its entire life in the area until I bought it several years ago from Ed Claypoole. It's in the middle of a frame-off resto. Spoke with the old Wells sales manager, Jim Robertson, but he didn't remember my car.

Did you buy the Carousel Red 69 Judge that was in MCR?

I'm sending you a pm.

Scott
...I own the Judge that was in MCR, it was also in Old Cars...I purchased it from the original lady owner 2-3 years ago, it was also bought new at Wells Pontiac and she drove it off the showroom floor ...late 60s, Wells was a big dealership, lots of inventory and GTOs everywhere

Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car was also raced at Tri State, Muncie, and 5 Mile. Spoke with Truman; he saw a red RAII bird racing at Tri State; has to be the same car. He didn't have any more info.

Truman sold one of his cars to Todd Hoven in NJ; other one went to Jim Mino.

Anyone have contact info on the McKinneys from Richmond, IN?

Thanks

Scott

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Car was also raced at Tri State, Muncie, and 5 Mile. Spoke with Truman; he saw a red RAII bird racing at Tri State; has to be the same car. He didn't have any more info.

Truman sold one of his cars to Todd Hoven in NJ; other one went to Jim Mino.

Anyone have contact info on the McKinneys from Richmond, IN?

Thanks

Scott
Scott PM PY member Brent Flynn, regarding the Mckinney's,(Roy and Mike) he knows them pretty well and probably has contact info. Roy passed away recently thou, I've heard of the car your talking about, did you buy it? I talked to a guy describing the same car and story a couple years ago at a swap meet in Indy.

Last edited by pont406; 10-15-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont406 View Post
Scott PM PY member Brent Flynn, regarding the Mckinney's,(Roy and Mike) he knows them pretty well and probably has contact info. Roy passed away recently thou, I've heard of the car your talking about, did you buy it? I talked to a guy describing the same car and story a couple years ago at a swap meet in Indy.
Ok I will try to contact Brent. Do you know his PY screen name?

I did not buy the car, just looking for info.

Thanks

Scott

Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Screen name is Brent Flynn.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I sent Brent a PM.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 10-16-2012, 03:56 PM

John Edwards, that owned Edwards Pontiac in Canton, OH raced a 68 RA II Firebird and I think there were a couple of other Dealers in the Cleveland Zone that also raced one. I ordered one as a Co. Car and when I contacted John he wanted to drive it. We went for a ride on Cleveland Ave. in Canton, OH. and he drove it like on a drag strip. I was surprised we didn't get a speeding ticket. When I was due to change to my next car it was sold to Knafel Pontiac in Akron, OH as Joe Felber, Sales Manager agreed to buy it when I was done with it. Mine was loaded with almost every option, close ration 4 spd. performance axle ratio, etc. One of the perks back then being a PMD Service Rep.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadac View Post
John Edwards, that owned Edwards Pontiac in Canton, OH raced a 68 RA II Firebird and I think there were a couple of other Dealers in the Cleveland Zone that also raced one. I ordered one as a Co. Car and when I contacted John he wanted to drive it. We went for a ride on Cleveland Ave. in Canton, OH. and he drove it like on a drag strip. I was surprised we didn't get a speeding ticket. When I was due to change to my next car it was sold to Knafel Pontiac in Akron, OH as Joe Felber, Sales Manager agreed to buy it when I was done with it. Mine was loaded with almost every option, close ration 4 spd. performance axle ratio, etc. One of the perks back then being a PMD Service Rep.
cool, what color combo was it?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
cool, what color combo was it?
Mine was Red with a White Vinyl top and black interior, which would be a rare color and especially having a Vinyl top. I don't recall what color John Edward's car was, but John Z. Delorean's car I drove was the Blue color back then, I think it also had a Vinyl top in Black. Hard to remember car colors 44 years ago when I drove approx. 10+ Co. cars each year, not to mention all of the customer cars I road tested at dealerships. At the time I was amazed I got to drive his car period. That is another story.