THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Yugo's? 30,000 miles, that's a laugh, I used to haul them, when you went to the rail yard to pick them up they would give a list of serial numbers and a bucket of keys, you had to keep on trying to find another one that would run until your trailer was full.

Then when you went to unload only half of those started!
That was for illustration purposes only. In actuality you're probably right. Not many cars have problems in the first 30K.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I think that the Yugo may have even gone 30K with no problems. When you get another 100K on it that will tell the difference. JMHO
Arbys - Engineers refer to quality, reliability and durability as follows.

Quality is defined as the defects that were created during the build process for the car and found shortly after the car enters service.

Reliability is defined the breakage/wearout of components during the design life of the vehicle.

Durability is defined as the breakage/wearout of the components at/after the end of the design life of the vehicle.

So. As stated in my post, my wifes 2011 Durango RT had excellent quality with zero defects causing repair. It is demonstrating excellent reliability thus far as it has had zero repairs due to worn out or broken components. Yes it still has a ways to go before its end of life design life but it's off to a great start. Durability won't be evaluated until after that design life has been exceeded.

Rob

Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Yugo, short for You-go-screw-yourself...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Explain why it's not a good thing?

Looks like Capitalism at work?

If you can't figure out on your own why an American car company (one of our big three)

being bought out by a crappy foreign car company is a bad thing it would be a waste

of time trying to explain it to you -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00Y0Y_6uCYDL3zgvk_600x450.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	348260  

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.

Last edited by 455Grandville; 01-02-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

Coming from a family that only bought GM, I strayed and bought from all 3 major "domestic" brands. I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with 150,000 miles that has been a great truck...would definitely buy another one. I also have a 2009 Challenger R/T 6spd that has had no trouble. My daughter has a 2012 Fiat 500c that she loves and my wife drives a 3006 Mustang GT...all which have been great....now for collector/play cars, I'll stick to my 67 GTO, 69 Caprice coupe, and 87 Monte Carlo SS...

Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue67gtoragtop View Post
I have a 2003 Ram 1500 with 150,000 miles that has been a great truck...would definitely buy another one. .
Those are the kind of figures that you can boast about.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
If you can't figure out on your own why an American car company (one of our big three)

being bought out by a crappy foreign car company is a bad thing it would be a waste

of time trying to explain it to you -
A fat little guy with a base ball hat-----perfect------ the moron is from my home state, won't mention his name as not to give him advertisement

G

Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post
A fat little guy with a base ball hat-----perfect------ the moron is from my home state, won't mention his name as not to give him advertisement

G
If you would keep that quiet for a while maybe everyone will forget where he was hatched.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post

G
Yea, liberals whine about capitalism while benefiting/profiting off a capitalistic country

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Does it really matter who owns Chrysler at this point, as long as American workers stay employed? You may find this a real shocker, but Honda is employing thousands of American workers at plants right here. Does the fact they are owned by the Japanese bother me? Not a helluva lot. The free market says whoever does the best job gets the goodies. And the American "Big Three?" LOL, that is a quaint notion. Chrysler and GM should both be gone right now, by all rights.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moto-d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yea, liberals whine about capitalism while benefiting/profiting off a capitalistic country
I guess I will never understand you whiners then?

Making money is bad if the wrong guy is in office.
Capitalism is bad when the wrong guy is in office.

Capitalism is good when your guy is in office.
Making money is good when your guy is in office.

I like to make money no matter who is in office.

No whining here.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
That's a good point. I think that the "30K miles without problems!" indicates the lack of expectations for domestic cars. I'm on another board to help diagnose issues with my '04 Acura TL. (They start falling apart at about 120,000 miles). There are a bunch of people on there ranting and raving about suing Honda because their automatic transmission "only" lasted 120,000 miles.
My wife's 02 TL have about 185K on the clock.

My true story on Acura transmissions: I took her car in to the dealer for an oil change, and I ask them to look at the tranny, because it has a hesitation shifting between 2nd and 3rd. They call me back and tell me I need a new transmission. (I;m thinking Holy Shyt! What's this gonna run?) They tell me no charge on the new transmission. Acura extended the warranty on the tranny to 108K. I rolled in there at 107,250.

We bought the car new and that has been the only issue so far. (knock on wood)

The Following User Says Thank You to 69goatboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-d View Post
Does it really matter who owns Chrysler at this point, as long as American workers stay employed? You may find this a real shocker, but Honda is employing thousands of American workers at plants right here. Does the fact they are owned by the Japanese bother me? Not a helluva lot. The free market says whoever does the best job gets the goodies. And the American "Big Three?" LOL, that is a quaint notion. Chrysler and GM should both be gone right now, by all rights.
And, why would it shock me ?
I work in manufacturing and I'm quite aware that Honda, Toyota, BMW, Nissan are all manufactured here. I did Lean Manufacturing work with the Toyota plant in Evansville, IN a little over ten years ago, so you're preaching to the choir.

The fact that Fiat is going to produce Jeeps in China. Nothing to "LOL" there if you truly want Americans to be employed.
Fiat has modern tooling and modern production plants in China and they are adding : that's a fact. With cheaper labor there's certainly the potential for American job loss.

That being said, it's still sad our big three that were once strong are not so strong.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Read the fine print...

"Your experience may vary" .

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 01-02-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
And, why would it shock me ?
I work in manufacturing and I'm quite aware that Honda, Toyota, BMW, Nissan are all manufactured here. I did Lean Manufacturing work with the Toyota plant in Evansville, IN a little over ten years ago, so you're preaching to the choir.

The fact that Fiat is going to produce Jeeps in China. Nothing to "LOL" there if you truly want Americans to be employed.
Fiat has modern tooling and modern production plants in China and they are adding : that's a fact. With cheaper labor there's certainly the potential for American job loss.

That being said, it's still sad our big three that were once strong are not so strong.
I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, as I too lament the days of America owning the automotive -- and most other -- industries. But as you well know, the Big 3 got fat, bloated and arrogant. And now? Well, less than half the cars on American city streets have American nameplates (though many of the parts are sources overseas).

As far as Jeeps going to China, they already had assembly lines there at one point, and if they can sell more Jeeps around the world by opening additional lines, I'm all for it. If they're going to close plants here and take it ALL over to China, well, there was nothing stopping that before. Chrysler wasn't "loyal" to America, per se. They were loyal to stockholders, no matter who they are. That won't change.

We had a long run owning everything after WWII when the world was in rubble. Simply could not last forever in the old model. So we'll take our share under different business models. We simply won't have it all anymore.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 PM

All IMHO, of course

Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 2013 the village I live in bought a new police cruise (4dr charger), I noticed that it was MIA lately and the town cops were driving a new Tahoe, and they've resurrected the old Crown Vic that was their spare car (it's got a ton of miles on it and about 4 years old now). My stepsons both are volunteer fireman and of course they talk to the cops frequently. On Christmas day the subject came up and I asked them where the new charger went. "They had so much trouble with it they sold it" one of the stepsons said, nuff said for me..................

Chrysler has always been at the low end for durable units and higher cost more per mile in repairs than the other 2 players, so it doesn't surprise me that they still have problems. I'll probably get a bunch of crap for that comment, however being in the garage business most of my life the only brand worse than chrysler was AMC. Renault bought the car part of AMC and chrysler bought the Jeep portion. Chrysler products made the majority of my paycheck for over 4 decades and when I worked for myself they were the bulk of the repairs and service calls.

One other thing is chryslers never held any trade in value and if you wanted to trade one off they didn't give you diddly on another brand for trade. So if you went back to the chrysler dealer they were the only ones that would give you anything on a trade, so unless you wanted to take a beating on a trade in you were going back to the chrysler dealer.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-d View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, as I too lament the days of America owning the automotive -- and most other -- industries. But as you well know, the Big 3 got fat, bloated and arrogant. And now? Well, less than half the cars on American city streets have American nameplates (though many of the parts are sources overseas).

As far as Jeeps going to China, they already had assembly lines there at one point, and if they can sell more Jeeps around the world by opening additional lines, I'm all for it. If they're going to close plants here and take it ALL over to China, well, there was nothing stopping that before. Chrysler wasn't "loyal" to America, per se. They were loyal to stockholders, no matter who they are. That won't change.

We had a long run owning everything after WWII when the world was in rubble. Simply could not last forever in the old model. So we'll take our share under different business models. We simply won't have it all anymore.
That was my whole point about this being a bad thing : it's another nail in the coffin.

Label it how you wish, but it's a shame we cannot recapture what we did in the past. But, with Wal Mart and crap like that being so big, it's doubtful. Typical American thinking : short term quick gains, forget about long term effects.

I can't argue that Chrysler was not loyal : my wifes friend had a PT cruiser made in Mexico while my wifes then new Camry was made here in the US.

I've been to China for my employer : sad truth is they are going to pass us up.

Will we even be a super power in 50 years ? Hmmmm -

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd

Last edited by 455Grandville; 01-02-2014 at 09:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Will we even be a super power in 50 years ? Hmmmm -
I think so, as we will still have more resources in our backyard than 90% of the world.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
We had a Chrysler dealership that was built in the 1980's, was active until a few years ago, then closed and abandoned. Yesterday, there was a crew there putting up a giant Fiat sign in front. Of course, Fiat doesn't call them dealerships, they're "studios".

I have to admit, Fiat has the best spokesmodels.

This ad wasn't too shabby 40 some years ago. Kinda looks like the same gal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69chargerad3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	348263  

TOM