THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up GM to hire at least 1,200 for Wentzville plant

Sounds like GM trucks are selling well; other news station said 1,400 + hires.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...4f783353c.html

The start of 2014 brought an increase in hiring activity at General Motors’ Wentzville assembly plant, where new midsize pickups will be built later this year.
Mike Bullock, chairman of Local 2250 of the United Auto Workers, which represents GM hourly workers in Wentzville, said the plant is hiring several hundred workers — about 35 to 50 a week — over the next few months.

The Wentzville plant, which opened in 1983, currently makes the Chevy Express and GMC Savana full-size vans. Later this year, it adds production of two newly redesigned midsize pickups, the Chevrolet Colorado and the GMC Canyon.

The plant currently has 2,100 employees — 1,900 hourly workers and 200 salaried employees. That’s up from about 1,400 employees when the plant only ran a single shift in 2011.

Some of the jobs will be filled by GM workers at other plants who will transfer to Wentzville, Bullock said, but most of the jobs will go to new hires. Entry-level positions have a starting salary of $15.78 an hour, which rises to more than $19 an hour after four years.

In November 2011, GM announced it would invest $380 million and add or retain 1,260 jobs at the Wentzville facility for the newly redesigned pickups, which previously were made in Shreveport, La. Last year, the Detroit-based automaker announced another investment at Wentzville, $133 million for a third stamping press system, and the addition or retention of another 55 jobs.

Plant manager Nancy Laubenthal said the company isn’t releasing the number of people it plans to hire, as it’s subject to change over the next few months. The plant has been adding workers since the November 2011 announcement to ready the facility for the new trucks, she said, but hiring is in overdrive now.

“It’s certainly stepping up now that we’re getting closer to production,” Laubenthal said.

For the new hires, GM has an existing pool of candidates that includes referrals from workers at the plant and referrals from government agencies.

“Our goal is to get a good cross-section of people from the community,” she said. For the production jobs, GM is looking for those who are focused, can work well in a team setting and are safety conscious.

“At the moment, we’re continuing to pull from the pool that we have,” Laubenthal said. But those who haven’t yet applied still have a chance to secure a spot. “There will be opportunities for that pool to replenish,” she said.

Applicants can apply for jobs at jobs.gm.com.

St. Louisans were able to get their first look at pre-production versions of both the Colorado and Canyon at the St. Louis Auto Show last weekend.

Gov. Jay Nixon, who attended the show, said the pickups will be a boost for Missouri’s economy.

“We believe that these are the kind of vehicles that are going to sell,” Nixon said at a news conference at the show.

Pickup sales will dictate the level of production at Wentzville. The plant currently runs two shifts for van production and three shifts for stamping.

“I’m very optimistic that once we get these trucks out in the market, we’ll see demand,” Laubenthal said. “We think it will be a real win in the marketplace.”

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 PM

I show my students the film 'The Last Truck" about the closing of GM's Moraine Ohio truck plant. Its amazing what an impact the film had on these high school kids. One of them came into my class on Friday to tell me he bought his first car. He got a Ford because after seeing the film he said he wanted to support American factory workers.

1964 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Sports Coupe

Connecticut Pontiac Association

Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^

I hope he didn't buy a FORD Eco boost car or truck.

If so, he will be buying full blown JAP next truck or car purchase...

Old 02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64CatalinaVentura View Post
I show my students the film 'The Last Truck" about the closing of GM's Moraine Ohio truck plant. Its amazing what an impact the film had on these high school kids. One of them came into my class on Friday to tell me he bought his first car. He got a Ford because after seeing the film he said he wanted to support American factory workers.
As much as dislike Michael Moore the movie "Roger and me" is a sad truth to what has been happening in this country.

Refreshing to see Americans getting badly needed jobs vs. sending work to another country.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
As much as dislike Michael Moore the movie "Roger and me" is a sad truth to what has been happening in this country.

Refreshing to see Americans getting badly needed jobs vs. sending work to another country.
Find a way to make all the politicians see that too. Then maybe we can start getting lost jobs to come back home.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.