THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Disability fraud - input needed.

Ended up looking at some car parts recently, turned out to be an old co worker who I never had a good opinion of. We talked about the old shop closing and then he said something that really bothered me :

When I asked about his old back problems (as I had 'em too) he told me he was getting near $2,000/mo plus a month plus his ex was getting $800/mo for child support in a shady way. He had no problem lifting things (heavy intakes, etc) and said he has 100s of C/L ads and a huge storage building out back filled with stuff he sells and bragged about the cash money he makes.

I have no problem with someone getting disability if they are disabled, clearly this guy is not. I even checked his number on C/L and he has 150 ads and has been doing this for years he says. Things like this really hits a nerve with me. It costs everyone money.

Who do I call and do they pursue this and do they take fraud seriously ?

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally frown on anybody taking advantage of others busting their a** to make ends met. I don't know who you would go to on this but I think it should be "verified". Have a distant friend who according to "our" government is 210% disabled. He is messed up but how are you 210%? I would have thought at 100% you'd be dead but I guess I just don't understand the new math.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad,

You contact the local Social Security office in that area. They will take a statement from you and assign an investigator. Be advised: the process is VERY slow. Stories like this anger me because of the folks I know like my uncle that had to fight YEARS in order to even get SSDI benefits.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Social Security Disability Insurance, if that's what he's getting paid from they take a dim view of people defrauding the system. I'm on it because of some injuries long ago, back shoulder and knee, and two I had since 2008 left foot and left wrist. I had to get X rays and doctor statements to get it and prove I actually was unable to work because of these injuries. Maybe when your former co-worker got it it was easier to get it at that point, not sure.

Here's the link to report fraud to the social security administration: http://oig.ssa.gov/report-fraud-waste-or-abuse

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 02-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OIG...Office of Inspector General....Google...

They even have fed offices setup in States with high fraud like Kentucky.

Over 9,000,000 have received SS Disability, and during the last six years its jumped considerably (bty, its based on what you have paid in ).

Once approved after few years, a person can be eligible for Medicare (free healthcare).

Many have called it the "new white welfare" since so many middle age whites are out of work for various reasons, and Doctors sign their papers for application....booze, depression, drug addiction, back problems (a big one), nerve pain, obesity all may contribute to other health problems that may get you on, if approved.

Search for some of the recent stories....you will be amazed, heres one;

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/soc...2/17/id/542390

The New White Welfare (one of dozens of articles..take your pick)

http://whiteplains.patch.com/groups/...he-new-welfare

http://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/july17-post

PS: and I understand many actually "need" disability, and have legit health problems.....this isnt about them.

Last edited by JLHarper; 02-24-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking to a garage sale customer and as he was loading some furniture he bragged that he was on permanent SS disability because of back problems. I asked if he could survive on that, and he said he made extra cash collecting a couple of tons of scrap per week.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just have the Office of Inspector General agent answer a CL ad for a engine block or transmission he is selling that should do it. He's just sucking money from you,me and people that really deserve it.

TOM
Old 02-25-2014, 05:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out this one...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/26/ve...ability-claim/

Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When did this country loose it's self respect???

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
When did this country loose it's self respect???
LBJ.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make the call. He wil be investigated and probably loose his free money.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Just have the Office of Inspector General agent answer a CL ad for a engine block or transmission he is selling that should do it. He's just sucking money from you,me and people that really deserve it.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would wait a couple months so he doesn't tie it to you. He's not going to be a happy camper after his meal ticket gets cut off.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 02-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

Why does it seem like people who rip off the gov't have such any easy time doing it? While those that truly need it are the ones waiting and waiting. And for those that are getting away with it, why the hell would you shoot your stupid mouth off to people?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
Private insurers and Govt. insurers alike do this, so it is worth reporting. I have known Ins. investigators who follow people in cars like PIs. Think of how much it saves just getting one able bodied person off the dole. On the other hand the unemployment numbers…

I have heard ads encouraging people to report SSI and Medicare fraud on the tube lately too. Keep your ears open for that.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 02-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do not like free-loaders. But, if you liked the guy, would you still turn him in? I would more rather see this guy get assistance than the millions of illegals that have never paid in one penny to the system. Just sayin'

Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
LBJ.
Earlier. Rob. FDR.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not trying to be political, but here it goes:

It happens everywhere. If you rat this guy out, there is another 1000 ready to take his place. Sad but true. How about all those people using two or three different last names collecting unemployment, social security, food stamps, ebt cards, free phones etc etc.

It happens every day, all day. You can drive through "urban" cities and see people lined up around the block with their hands out, taking from the govt. It doesn't change. People use dead peoples SSN's, and nobody in local state government blinks an eye. Or how about giving illegals in state tuition, while legal citizens have to pay a premium? Or how about the people who are overweight applying for handicap placards, or refuse to walk in a store?

Or how about those divorced parents taking massive amounts of child support from the other parent, only to spend it on stuff they want, and not on the child? This is argued about in court every day, but nothing changes.

People abuse the system, legal or illegal. It doesn't matter. You can get worked up about it all you want, but nobody who should be listening is.

As for selling stuff on the side, who cares? People do it every day. Granted, he seems to be selling a whole lot of stuff, but that's his prerogative. Good for him making money without having the government having its hand out, taking some of his money.

Bottom line: He played the state and federal government, and so far he's winning.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National

Last edited by 72projectbird; 02-25-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Exclamation

Ir's "lose," you knuckleheads, not "loose."

Yeesh.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Ir's "lose," you knuckleheads, not "loose."

Yeesh.
Ahem.....It's. Not Ir's

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition