THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Club House material.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been reading all these posts for the past couple of days. I'm on disability now and I hate it. Since getting hurt on the job six years ago it's been hard for me to work a 40+ hour week but I did until I had to have the knee replacement about three years ago. Now I can only handle being out and doing anything for about four hours a day. And if I have to walk on a hard surface I regret leaving my cane at home. I have a permanent limp and if I drive my GTO I hurt for days. Can't even get on my horse to ride as I don't have the strength in my left leg to get on him. Total of four surgeries, first one done by workman's comp doctor, totally botched and lost all flexability in my knee resulting in the other three surgeries and loss of muscle mass in my upper left leg.
My doctor rated me for a sit down job only, 60% permanent partial so I can't go back to construction work, body shop work or mechanic work, and I can only handle about three or four hours a day trying to get something done around my place, if at times I can get around at all.
Again I'd love to find something to do where I could earn a living. I hate spending most of my time in front of a TV or on a computer. Things that take days now are things I used to be able to do in a couple of hours and things I enjoy, like AutoFair aren't as enjoyable as they used to be. A couple of hours walking and I'm done, have to go sit down for the rest of the day, or stop somewhere along the way, like at a friends swap space and sit for awhile until the pain subsides enough for me to walk again.
I grew up on a farm, started cutting timber with my dad when I was 12 years old and have worked hard all my life, now it's hard to take that I can't go back to it. So I'm going to try to become a writer, took a writing course when I was in high school and my teacher liked what I did, but that was 40 years ago. I'm hoping that if I can get published and make a decent living off of that I'll be able to get off disability then I could provide a better living for my wife and I and hopefully leave something for the grandkids. Sorry but I felt I had to put my .02 in.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are doing more assessments reviews and looking at income sources, in addition to people out on the street "taking pictures".

I think we will continue to see them making a dent in this area with some of the more blatant or worse offenders, its clearly on "both sides" radar.

Every dollar scammed from Govnt by some lazy low life, is one that a wounded Veteran may not have for his injury, rehab or benefits.

They filmed this NJ guy (transit policeman) and filmed him shooting a "sniper" rifle at the range....

He went out on a "Disability Pension" and receives a $46,000 (non taxable) income ........for: Shooting a STAPLE in his finger while putting up some targets.

Read the entire article....including Drs report comments.....he was initially denied disability, but overturned....now being reviewed again and/or turned over to fraud division.....more.

In Christopher Onesti’s 2008 application for a disability pension, doctors said he was “permanently and totally disabled” because he would have trouble operating his service weapon and performing other police duties. His injuries stem from a firearms certification class two years earlier, where Onesti accidentally fired a staple into his non-shooting hand while preparing to attach a paper target to some cardboard.

Havent heard anymore about it, on news here while back.

Full Story;

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...235499581.html

Old 02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug,

There's a funny thing about walking(it was 3yrs, not 5). You can ALWAYS sit DOWN. Tell you what, YOU provide PROOF I EVER lifted an 800lb.desk. I seem to remember SIX guys at the store in Mt. Dora loading it and SIX day laborers unloading it at our condo in Palm Beach Co. when we lived down there. BTW.....I'm allowed to drive, but no longer than 3 hrs. at a time. Can we keep your lies isolated to the CH? Geez..........

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 02-26-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.W.Dille View Post
I've been reading all these posts for the past couple of days. I'm on disability now and I hate it. Since getting hurt on the job six years ago it's been hard for me to work a 40+ hour week but I did until I had to have the knee replacement about three years ago. Now I can only handle being out and doing anything for about four hours a day. And if I have to walk on a hard surface I regret leaving my cane at home. I have a permanent limp and if I drive my GTO I hurt for days. Can't even get on my horse to ride as I don't have the strength in my left leg to get on him. Total of four surgeries, first one done by workman's comp doctor, totally botched and lost all flexability in my knee resulting in the other three surgeries and loss of muscle mass in my upper left leg.
My doctor rated me for a sit down job only, 60% permanent partial so I can't go back to construction work, body shop work or mechanic work, and I can only handle about three or four hours a day trying to get something done around my place, if at times I can get around at all.
Again I'd love to find something to do where I could earn a living. I hate spending most of my time in front of a TV or on a computer. Things that take days now are things I used to be able to do in a couple of hours and things I enjoy, like AutoFair aren't as enjoyable as they used to be. A couple of hours walking and I'm done, have to go sit down for the rest of the day, or stop somewhere along the way, like at a friends swap space and sit for awhile until the pain subsides enough for me to walk again.
I grew up on a farm, started cutting timber with my dad when I was 12 years old and have worked hard all my life, now it's hard to take that I can't go back to it. So I'm going to try to become a writer, took a writing course when I was in high school and my teacher liked what I did, but that was 40 years ago. I'm hoping that if I can get published and make a decent living off of that I'll be able to get off disability then I could provide a better living for my wife and I and hopefully leave something for the grandkids. Sorry but I felt I had to put my .02 in.
Same here. I HATE being on disability, but my orthopedist gave me two choices: retire and draw disability or be confined to a wheelchair with constant pain. Really NOT much of a choice.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Doug,

There's a funny thing about walking(it was 3yrs, not 5). You can ALWAYS sit DOWN. Tell you what, YOU provide PROOF I EVER lifted an 800lb.desk. I seem to remember SIX guys at the store in Mt. Dora loading it and SIX day laborers unloading it at our condo in Palm Beach Co. when we lived down there. BTW.....I'm allowed to drive, but no longer than 3 hrs. at a time. Can we keep your lies isolated to the CH? Geez..........
Steve, nobody said lifted the desk, but we agree you drove there and back to pick it as I said. And you walked all over those cemeteries for 3 yrs instead of 5. And you said here in the lobby about driving a moving truck from to north Fla. So I'm just agreeing with Brad and saying people should still contribute. Now show where a lie is, or retract.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
I don't think it's necessary to hold down a 30 hr job. Just doing something that gives someone else something back is progress. for instance Steve telling us he spent 5 yrs walking through cemeteries doing his personal genealogy, and driving a rental moving van to move his possessions to Florida or 4 hour round trips to pic up an 800 lb desk. As Brad said, I don't think that's what it was intended for. It took my bil a long time to finally start contributing again. He's proud that he does that now. He was probably depressed for a decade. Now that he's doing something, not so much.

Productivity has all kinds of shapes and faces. It doesn't have to fit into the normal 9-5 routine. It can be reading something for someone. Just anything, really.
"PICK UP" (BTW...pick, not pic). 4 hrs. is 2 hrs. up to Mt. Dora and 2hrs. back to Palm Beach Co.. Per doctor's orders, I AM allowed to drive 3 hrs. without stopping. Additionally, per doctor's orders, I am NOT allowed to sit in a chair for more than 45mins. at a time nor stand for more than 45 mins. Likewise, I am restricted to lifting no more than 50lbs. A FEDERAL vocational expert testified under OATH before a FEDERAL administrative law judge that NO JOB EXISTED that would fit the restrictions place on me by TWO physicians. This FEDERAL vocational expert also testified under OATH that NONE of my job skills (all rated 5 on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the most difficult) would NOT transfer over to another. Not many companies need a part-time clerk (20hrs. or less) that can align bore the main saddles on a 12V149 Detroit or overhaul a TSIO520, but CAN NOT sit for more than 45 mins., stand for more than 45 mins. or lift more than 50lbs. NAME one company that will accept the liability that comes with an employee with BILATERAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS of the lumbar spine that has already undergone 3 major back surgeries, not to mention that ANOTHER surgery will be needed sometime in the future. Do YOU KNOW what BILATERAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS is? DO YOU KNOW what the prognosis for a person with this condition IS? Answer: NO. You DO know how to lodge false accusations and fabricate canards. You've been caught in too many of them. Ask ANYONE here on disability what they had to go through to receive SSDI. Ask them how many hoops they had to jump through, how many appeals they had to file, how much of their settlement was paid to an attorney. It's NOT easy IF you play by the rules. I've had too many PMs with some of these men. I've also received a LOT of encouragement and advice from the same. FYI.....walking is one of the things doctors RECOMMEND for folks with back problem to do. It strengthens your core muscle groups. You received YOUR medical degree from which medical school? What is a "bil"? I'm familiar with the acronym "BIL" or simply "brother-in-law". It's a LONG trip from CT to IN to FL when you have to stop EVERY 3 HOURS, not to mention that at the end of each day I could barely get out of the cab and WALK to the hotel room. You'll do a LOT and suffer a LOT to help your wife in her career moves........

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 02-26-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should see the guys in NC who hunt, boat and fish all day in season who are on disability....."bad knee, bad back, overweight, and obese so cant sit, stand or bend over"....each one has a major reason why they cant work but they can darn sure do what they want to do!

We all know its not one color anymore, and its mainly whites who just don't want to work and take the easy way out.....disability and welfare.

I had business one year with a lady back in other time 2005 or so...she was trying to get SSDI and did have some inherited disorder I wont mention, but not bad enough she couldn't work.

She just irritated me really bad for her lazy slack attitude about a "Govnt handout".... a free check (she was from WV but living in KY)

I explained: If you can perform any kind of work, you will not get on..... so she went down the list of everything that hurt her.....so then I told her "they say if you can answer a phone you can do a job, and are not disabled"...

I will NEVER FORGET what she said, and she was serious as they come....looked at me very serious like, and said:

"well, my ears hurts all the time too" ....I will never forget that encounter...she was determined she was going to get her a Gubment check.

Last edited by JLHarper; 02-26-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
You should see the guys in NC who hunt, boat and fish all day in season who are on disability....."bad knee, bad back, overweight, and obese so cant sit, stand or bend over"....each one has a major reason why they cant work but they can darn sure do what they want to do!

We all know its not one color anymore, and its mainly whites who just don't want to work and take the easy way out.....disability and welfare.

I had business one year with a lady back in other time 2005 or so...she was trying to get SSDI and she irritated me for her lazy slack attitude about a Govnt handout.... a free check (she was from WV but living in KY)

I explained: If you can perform any kind of work, you will not get on..... so she went down the list of everything that hurt her.....so then I told her "they say if you can answer a phone you can do a job, and are not disabled"...

I will NEVER FORGET what she said, and she was serious as they come....looked at me very serious like, and said:

"well, my ears hurts all the time too" ....I will never forget that encounter...she was determined she was going to get "her a check".
Thank You.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=455Grandville;5142523]

When I asked about his old back problems (as I had 'em too) he told me he was getting near $2,000/mo plus a month plus his ex was getting $800/mo for child support in a shady way. He had no problem lifting things (heavy intakes, etc) and said he has 100s of C/L ads and a huge storage building out back filled with stuff he sells and bragged about the cash money he makes

This describes at least half the people on disability. I know several people on it. They could ALL be working. They all live a good life. Being fat and lazy is not a disability,it is a lifestyle choice. It really makes me sick when I see people pulling this crap off. Makes you feel like a dumb a$$ for busting your tail everyday! This is not meant to offend anybody that actually deserves this. I am fine helping out those who need it,especially veterens.

Last edited by J GLASGO; 02-26-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: qq
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=J GLASGO;5143941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post

When I asked about his old back problems (as I had 'em too) he told me he was getting near $2,000/mo plus a month plus his ex was getting $800/mo for child support in a shady way. He had no problem lifting things (heavy intakes, etc) and said he has 100s of C/L ads and a huge storage building out back filled with stuff he sells and bragged about the cash money he makes

This describes at least half the people on disability. I know several people on it. They could ALL be working. They all live a good life. Being fat and lazy is not a disability,it is a lifestyle choice. It really makes me sick when I see people pulling this crap off. Makes you feel like a dumb a$$ for busting your tail everyday! This is not meant to offend anybody that actually deserves this. I am fine helping out those who need it,especially veterens.
Well said. I'd go back to work tomorrow IF my doc would let me. For MANY, "disability" has become what you use when your unemployment runs out. That is WHY the disability claims have skyrocketed in recent years.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[quote=J GLASGO;5143941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post

Unfortunately I know somebody who I grew up with that is on disability, a few months back somebody turned him in on his side business of fixing and repairing lawnmover and snowblowers and was going to lose his disability , took a lot of lying on his part to keep it. He now has a throw away phone that can't be linked to him for his side business and yes it make me mad that I'm working and he's living off the Government, but if you call living on 1,600 a month a life more power to you.

They told him a family friend turned him in which made him mad

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$1600.00 a month + what he makes on the side? Who knows how much that is.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason people collect disability and do something on the side is that wages haven't kept pace with inflation, if it did the SSDI would certainly be more than 400 a week maximum, which is subject to taxation. I'm sure lots here didn't know you also may have to pay tax on the SSDI depending what your total household income is, and with my wife working I will have some of that money that we will have to pay taxes on. With the rich holding the majority of the wealth and sharing precious little of it with their workers the same instance that started unions is going to once again become a factor. I expect within 10 years unions will be starting to make a comeback.

Also I'm 61 and have paid into SS since I was 16 years old so it's not a freebie, I paid into it for 45 years. To those that don't know, if you only worked 5 years since you started working your benefits are going to be reflected on total paid in.

Getting SSDI isn't a shoe in either, if someone that gets it isn't truly disabled blame the doctors or whoever was the case worker from the SSDI office. It took me about 6 months of appointments, x rays, and submitting a bunch of paperwork submitted to get on it. I also was the exception to the rule and only applied 1 time, roughly 67% of applicants get turned down the first time and then you have to get an attorney which you'll pay 1/3 of your award to for his fee. There's more to it than saying you want SSDI before it's granted.

Since last spring I have been working with Ohio Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation to find part time work that I can do with my limitations. So far with this economy I've submitted probably 100 applications and never even have had an interview. Lots of employers DO NOT want extra liability associated with having some one disabled in their work force so they're looking for young able bodied employees and there are tons out there they can employ as opposed to hiring someone who is possibly older and disabled.

Of course there are laws against discrimination for having to make accommodations for, and your age, but it's pretty damn hard to prove if the say who they hired was better qualified than you were.

Today in our local newspaper there was a rather lengthy article of the underground work force that do not pay taxes on anything they profit from. It went on to say that many have just given up looking for permanent work and have run their unemployment benefits out and live by collecting scrap and anything else they can do to earn some cash that the government can't see on their radar. The one guy would do handyman jobs for $5 an hour for retired and low income people. He said he made about $7000 a year so these people aren't getting rich by skating around the government and taxes, they're just surviving for the most part. Lack of education, lack of a drivers license or car, and a police record are some of the reasons people gave for not being able to get permanent jobs.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 02-26-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
$1600.00 a month + what he makes on the side? Who knows how much that is.
Not more than a couple hundred, and it's spotty repairs / sales for lawnmowers is usually late march thru mid june and Snowblower season is even shorter, nobody buys or repairs ones usally after mid February.

I know his rent is a 1,000 a month plus utilities, so he's not living the high life, but seems to get by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

Also I'm 61 and have paid into SS since I was 16 years old so it's not a freebie, I paid into it for 45 years. To those that don't know, if you only worked 5 years since you started working your benefits are going to be reflected on total paid in.
Recently a friend of my wife who was on Disabilty who turned retirement age lost her disabiltiy and now only gets Social Security, when that happens to him , he will get hardly anything as he never had a high paying job and hasn't worked a fulltime job for at least 10 years.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Is this a political subject ? Because I have noticed that political subjects seem to be frowned upon in this section. It certainly looks like a political subject. So are we allowed political subject threads in this section now ?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
They are doing more assessments reviews and looking at income sources, in addition to people out on the street "taking pictures".

I think we will continue to see them making a dent in this area with some of the more blatant or worse offenders, its clearly on "both sides" radar.

Every dollar scammed from Govnt by some lazy low life, is one that a wounded Veteran may not have for his injury, rehab or benefits.

They filmed this NJ guy (transit policeman) and filmed him shooting a "sniper" rifle at the range....

He went out on a "Disability Pension" and receives a $46,000 (non taxable) income ........for: Shooting a STAPLE in his finger while putting up some targets.

Read the entire article....including Drs report comments.....he was initially denied disability, but overturned....now being reviewed again and/or turned over to fraud division.....more.

In Christopher Onesti’s 2008 application for a disability pension, doctors said he was “permanently and totally disabled” because he would have trouble operating his service weapon and performing other police duties. His injuries stem from a firearms certification class two years earlier, where Onesti accidentally fired a staple into his non-shooting hand while preparing to attach a paper target to some cardboard.

Havent heard anymore about it, on news here while back.

Full Story;

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...235499581.html

If it was his non-shooting hand what's the problem?

TOM
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76WS4 View Post
Is this a political subject ? Because I have noticed that political subjects seem to be frowned upon in this section. It certainly looks like a political subject. So are we allowed political subject threads in this section now ?
I would think this as a social topic not political. IMO

TOM
Old 02-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76WS4 View Post

I wouldn't worry. Eventually someone will come along and whine about it so that it gets closed or moved.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The reason people collect disability and do something on the side is that wages haven't kept pace with inflation, if it did the SSDI would certainly be more than 400 a week maximum, which is subject to taxation. I'm sure lots here didn't know you also may have to pay tax on the SSDI depending what your total household income is, and with my wife working I will have some of that money that we will have to pay taxes on. With the rich holding the majority of the wealth and sharing precious little of it with their workers the same instance that started unions is going to once again become a factor. I expect within 10 years unions will be starting to make a comeback.

Getting SSDI isn't a shoe in either, if someone that gets it isn't truly disabled blame the doctors or whoever was the case worker from the SSDI office. It took me about 6 months of appointments, x rays, and submitting a bunch of paperwork submitted to get on it. I also was the exception to the rule and only applied 1 time, roughly 67% of applicants get turned down the first time and then you have to get an attorney which you'll pay 1/3 of your award to for his fee. There's more to it than saying you want SSDI before it's granted.

Since last spring I have been working with Ohio Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation to find part time work that I can do with my limitations. So far with this economy I've submitted probably 100 applications and never even have had an interview. Lots of employers DO NOT want extra liability associated with having some one disabled in their work force so they're looking for young able bodied employees and there are tons out there they can employ as opposed to hiring someone who is possibly older and disabled.

Of course there are laws against discrimination for having to make accommodations for, and your age, but it's pretty damn hard to prove if the say who they hired was better qualified than you were.

Today in our local newspaper there was a rather lengthy article of the underground work force that do not pay taxes on anything they profit from. It went on to say that many have just given up looking for permanent work and have run their unemployment benefits out and live by collecting scrap and anything else they can do to earn some cash that the government can't see on their radar. The one guy would do handyman jobs for $5 an hour for retired and low income people. He said he made about $7000 a year so these people aren't getting rich by skating around the government and taxes, they're just surviving for the most part. Lack of education, lack of a drivers license or car, and a police record are some of the reasons people gave for not being able to get permanent jobs.

Six months? Geez, Brad, you were LUCKY. It took me THREE YEARS and an ALJ (Administrative Law Judge) hearing 200 miles from home. I was blessed in the fact a lawyer friend(and several guys here)told me how to handle paperwork and hearing. My uncle went through FIVE YEARS of being poked, prodded and x-rayed for the Social Security Administration to agree his shoulder and back were deteriorating to the point where he couldn't work any more. The man couldn't raise his arm above his head. How can a millwright do his job when he can't raise his arm above his head?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Closed Thread