THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Definition of disability is the inability due to your condition to work for a year or more or having a condition that will result in your death (terminal).

Disability process is initial application either by contacting SSA by phone to set up an appt for either a phone interview or face to face interview, walk in, or online application. You will need to know the types of work you have done for the past 15 years, what your job duties were, and what you received for compensation. You will also need to fill out an adult function report that has basic information like "what do you do from the time you wake up until going to bed, how much can you lift, how far can you walk, do you have trouble getting along with others, can you count change, handle a checkbook, etc... You will also fill out a release of information form so that your medical or behavioral health records can be accessed by the SSA.

Once everything is gathered up it is shipped to the DDD (Disability Determination Division) and will go through the determination process. If you are approved withing the initial first 6 months application period then you will go into pay status at the 6 month threshhold, if you are denied you can either drop it or you can do a reconsideration. A reconsideration is the first appeal. It is simply requesting someone else look it over with the correct forms. They will turn the info over to another DDD worker with any new medical records and info you want to submit and they will make a decision within 3 months. If you are approved you will go into pay, if not then you will need to appeal which is to an Administrative Law Judge. YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY UNTIL THIS STEP!!! AN ATTORNEY DOES NOT ASSIST WITH THE MUNDANE PART OF FILING DISABILITY WHICH IS THE INITIAL AND RECONSIDERATION. IF YOU ARE APPROVED IT WAS NOT BECAUSE OF AN ATTORNEY!!! DDD staff do not care if you have an attorney or not... ALJ Does... ALJ hearings can take up to 2 years for a decision but usually put on the docket 1 year after they receive it.

Many disability claims were pushed through by ALJ over the last few years because the workload is huge and they don't have time to make good judgement calls. Now it is getting a bit tougher because it is in the spotlight so if you got on during the lax years count yourself lucky. The workload for disability claims is unbelievable due to the way the world is today. I work with disability day in and day out in my job and the amount of people abusing the system is out of control... As another poster said some people will apply with an answer for everything (sore ear) but are absolutely in no way disabled.

Don't get me wrong, there are some individuals who are absolutely disabled and unable to work... but for every 1 of those there are at least 10 that can work...

As far as turning a blind eye to it, the way to fix it is to address it and getting one fraudster off is like eating an elephant... it can be done... 1 bite at a time...

Old 02-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Did you make the call? If not, you should- it needs to start somewhere. I am just tired of paying for deadbeats to live off of my wages. Just saying.

Raise a glass to the working folks- their money makes the States what they are.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. C.J. Lewis

God Bless the U.S. and the people that defend it ...
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
That being said, there are plenty of hard working guys in each of these areas who, much to their own demise will continue working when hurt, broken or bruised and would never accept a handout from anyone. I've worked with broken ribs (not just cracked), my sheetrocker has worked with a spine injury and one of my carpenters worked all summer long with a degenerative hip injury.

Stupid? Yes. Ill advised? Possibly. Admirable? Absolutely!
I was wondering where you were going with this. Good conclusion.

Just a shame that more people don't take this attitude. There are some of us that believe you live with the hand you are dealt, not constantly trying to blame others for our problems or seeking compensation through lawsuit when something goes wrong. And I think most of us that follow this view aren't looking for admiration but it does fuel my disgust when I see others so quick to seek compensation by lawsuit or from gov't when the going gets tough for them.

The problem as I see it isn't that people collect disability, whether justifiable or not. The problem is that the gov't took upon itself a charitable role. So the program exists. There are those that think some are abusing it. Me, I'm more critical of the gov't for instituting the program than I am of people who might be abusing it.

I was 12 before I discovered my mom could not run, her leg muscles destroyed by polio when she was 13. Now soon to be 84, she can stand but gets around on a scooter. She's had numerous surgeries in her life, including spinal. Walking was always a struggle. When she was in her 60s and still got around fairly well, she found a note one day on her windshield chastising her for parking in a handicap space. Apparently, someone saw her walk into the store and concluded she was not disabled. She was in tears. For a time, she wouldn't use handicap parking. This is a woman that often had to spend the next day in bed to recover from a simple trip to the store to shop. But she didn't want people to know she had a handicap and hid it well.

BTW, she never sought or collected disability payments. Her last "job" was volunteering at a community Rec Center (she was in her '60s), checking people in, handing out basketballs and volleyballs. After awhile, they tried to hire her but she preferred not being on a schedule, so she did it for nothing so she could set her own hours.

My mom doesn't share many of my views. I've driven her to tears many times discussing politics. When she told me about that note on her windshield, I gave her no sympathy, told her it ticks me off that all the best parking spaces are reserved for gimps and they are never used (well, at least before I came to Fla, never saw them get much use).

I hope I haven't offended anybody over their disability. But I never cut my mom any slack (I laughed at her inability to run when I was 12) so I'm not likely to cut anybody else any slack either. I feel bad that she is disabled. But that is the hand she was dealt.

Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
All this would not be an issue if employees had to buy their own insurance. The government should NEVER get involved in any insurance issues, whether it SS, SSDI, Healthcare, or anything of the sort.

It's to easy for anyone to take advantage of these systems. An insurance company has enough problems on there own fighting and catching fraud, but fraud runs rampant in government programs.

If you had disability insurance on your own, being able to collect for the rest of your life would be minimized greatly
Not true. I carried LTD (long term disability) insurance my ENTIRE working career. With most policies, your benefits end after two years. The insurance company then pushes you off into the federal system (SSDI). In my case, I had to leave work short of my new LTD policy taking effect. If you call THREE YEARS of fighting EVERY DAY "easy", be my guest.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 PM

This all brings back sad memories for me, I sat with my wife and did the SSI disability interview for her. She was diagnosed at 43 with Early onset Alzheimers and was about as disabled as you can get. The man taking our info was very helpful. In the end I asked, "Do people try to cheat?" His answer, "You would not believe how many people try to get free money". Another very frustrating thing was her sister had the same disease but never worked (paid into system). If you never paid in, you don't qualify for benefits. She also was 100% disabled and couldn't collect a dime as her husband had a decent job. I would at least HAVE SOME WORDS with someone if I knew they were cheating! My wife passed away a year and a half ago at 50 and I could not have cared for her like she deserved if not for that disability check.

Jim

Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Perez View Post
This all brings back sad memories for me, I sat with my wife and did the SSI disability interview for her. She was diagnosed at 43 with Early onset Alzheimers and was about as disabled as you can get. The man taking our info was very helpful. In the end I asked, "Do people try to cheat?" His answer, "You would not believe how many people try to get free money". Another very frustrating thing was her sister had the same disease but never worked (paid into system). If you never paid in, you don't qualify for benefits. She also was 100% disabled and couldn't collect a dime as her husband had a decent job. I would at least HAVE SOME WORDS with someone if I knew they were cheating! My wife passed away a year and a half ago at 50 and I could not have cared for her like she deserved if not for that disability check.

Jim
Sorry for your loss, Jim. Fraud has become rampant in the SSDI system and NEEDS to be dealt with. My experience with the SSDI system was frustrating to say the least.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2014, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
Definition of disability is the inability due to your condition to work for a year or more or having a condition that will result in your death (terminal).

Disability process is initial application either by contacting SSA by phone to set up an appt for either a phone interview or face to face interview, walk in, or online application. You will need to know the types of work you have done for the past 15 years, what your job duties were, and what you received for compensation. You will also need to fill out an adult function report that has basic information like "what do you do from the time you wake up until going to bed, how much can you lift, how far can you walk, do you have trouble getting along with others, can you count change, handle a checkbook, etc... You will also fill out a release of information form so that your medical or behavioral health records can be accessed by the SSA.

Once everything is gathered up it is shipped to the DDD (Disability Determination Division) and will go through the determination process. If you are approved withing the initial first 6 months application period then you will go into pay status at the 6 month threshhold, if you are denied you can either drop it or you can do a reconsideration. A reconsideration is the first appeal. It is simply requesting someone else look it over with the correct forms. They will turn the info over to another DDD worker with any new medical records and info you want to submit and they will make a decision within 3 months. If you are approved you will go into pay, if not then you will need to appeal which is to an Administrative Law Judge. YOU DO NOT NEED AN ATTORNEY UNTIL THIS STEP!!! AN ATTORNEY DOES NOT ASSIST WITH THE MUNDANE PART OF FILING DISABILITY WHICH IS THE INITIAL AND RECONSIDERATION. IF YOU ARE APPROVED IT WAS NOT BECAUSE OF AN ATTORNEY!!! DDD staff do not care if you have an attorney or not... ALJ Does... ALJ hearings can take up to 2 years for a decision but usually put on the docket 1 year after they receive it.

Many disability claims were pushed through by ALJ over the last few years because the workload is huge and they don't have time to make good judgement calls. Now it is getting a bit tougher because it is in the spotlight so if you got on during the lax years count yourself lucky. The workload for disability claims is unbelievable due to the way the world is today. I work with disability day in and day out in my job and the amount of people abusing the system is out of control... As another poster said some people will apply with an answer for everything (sore ear) but are absolutely in no way disabled.

Don't get me wrong, there are some individuals who are absolutely disabled and unable to work... but for every 1 of those there are at least 10 that can work...

As far as turning a blind eye to it, the way to fix it is to address it and getting one fraudster off is like eating an elephant... it can be done... 1 bite at a time...
I didn't need an attorney at the ALJ step. A friend of mine is an attorney. He reviewed all my paper work, then told me I was smart enough to handle this without him. The fraud WILL NOT stop until the powers that be can no longer use disability claims as a way to lower the long term unemployment rate.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Suspended

Wife is a nurse. Friend was your lawyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
There will be a massive review at some point.

That NPR Story last year really got the attention focused on the problem.

People who can work and currently receiving disability would be better served if they got some training or further education while out on disability.

I suspect many can work a few hours or more a day doing "something".

I know the guy near me who rides his Honda around all day (nut check) while I'm gimping off to work what is two FT jobs can....
The audacity of some of the defrauders knows no bounds. I pray a large prayer they start reviewing cases before there are only a few of us left working.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

little off topic <forgive me>.

Here's the deal, every time I open this thread (& no other thread) a popup for workman's comp/disability atty pops up. No other popups, whats up with that?

Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is fraud. As with all gov't programs, when money is being waved around, some people will do anything to get their hands on it.

Improper payments aren't always the result of fraud. Sometimes it results from errors and mistakes. Some made by recipients, some made by SSA.

Out and out fraud is relatively small potatoes.

There are now more than 10 million citizens receiving disability payments.

Latest figure I could find showed over $10B going to them annually, I'm sure more today.

Out of that, how much is really spent because of out and out fraud?

A lot less than most people seem to think.

And the gov't solution is to hire MORE investigators.

The problem isn't too much fraud. If NOBODY qualified for disability payments under current rules, you can bet the gov't wouldn't end the program, they would change the rules. If people refuse to see the real problem, then it will never be fixed.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Wife is a nurse. Friend was your lawyer?

The audacity of some of the defrauders knows no bounds. I pray a large prayer they start reviewing cases before there are only a few of us left working.
Oddly enough, Doug, the ONLY part my wife was involved in was testifying before the ALJ.
She had to fly in from CT to do that. Her testimony wasn't as a nurse, but as my WIFE. Yes, a friend who is an attorney reviewed the paperwork, but NO legal counsel represented me. I represented myself. The medical testimony was prepared by my family doc and my spinal orthopedist (board certified, Stanford Med School graduate). You REALLY need to stop spending so much time on those "conspiracy" websites. They're FRYING your mind. An FYI for you....pursuant to Titles II and XVI of the Social Security Act, lumbar spinal stenosis is recognized as a disabling condition under Listing 1.04C. Remember my condition? BILATERAL FORAMINAL STENOSIS? Had a change to research that, yet? Here's HINT.....it DOES NOT get better; it gets MUCH WORSE with age. Question: my wife's nursing specialties are Geriatric LTC (long term care), Geriatric Psych, Wound Care and Infectious Disease Control. WHY is the FACT she is a nurse germane to this conversation?

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 02-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH, not happening here. Either I have a better pop-up blocker or you clicked on a link that is causing the problem.

In such cases, I will usually employ System Restore and revert back to an earlier date to see if it goes away.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, not everybody has the same tolerance to pain. What is debilitating to one may not be so much to another.

My wife and I were always amazed at my eldest son's pain tolerance. We came to understand that he was probably near death before he would complain. Nearing 30, he hasn't changed.

Since you apparently were diagnosed with BNFS fairly young, I assume something other than normal degeneration due to aging was in play.

Some can function with BNFS, others not so much.

I would no more challenge your claim to disability than I would challenge the subject of the OP.

I cringe when I see the TSA posters, See Something-Say Something. They'll wait a long time waiting for my input.

If I wanted to work for the gov't, I'd apply for a gov't job. I'm not about to do their job for them. I understand that others see it differently.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Steve, not everybody has the same tolerance to pain. What is debilitating to one may not be so much to another.

My wife and I were always amazed at my eldest son's pain tolerance. We came to understand that he was probably near death before he would complain. Nearing 30, he hasn't changed.

Since you apparently were diagnosed with BNFS fairly young, I assume something other than normal degeneration due to aging was in play.

Some can function with BNFS, others not so much.

I would no more challenge your claim to disability than I would challenge the subject of the OP.

I cringe when I see the TSA posters, See Something-Say Something. They'll wait a long time waiting for my input.

If I wanted to work for the gov't, I'd apply for a gov't job. I'm not about to do their job for them. I understand that others see it differently.
Absolutely, John. Congenital degenerative disc disease and juvenile onset arthritis. According to my orthopedist, I have the back of a 75 yr. old man (at 51). I'm currently fused at L4/L5 (disc failure) and will require another fusion procedure at L5/S1 (disc failing) some time in the near future. Just think......MORE TSA pat-downs because of all the metal I have already. They're goin' LOVE me..... A FACT that gets lost in all the rhetoric is I took a 60% CUT in pay. What person in their right mind would do that UNLESS they had to. A friend of mine had to medically retire at 50 due to advanced arthritis. Randy was a plumber making about $70K a year. He draws just slightly more than I do.

Dr. Thomas Sowell

Last edited by hurryinhoosier62; 02-27-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please don't misunderstand anything that I am about to write as I am not familiar with your case in any way. I'm not trying to say that your doing this.

"A FACT that gets lost in all the rhetoric is I took a 60% CUT in pay. What person in their right mind would do that UNLESS they had to."

I know lots of people that would gladly take a 60% cut in pay if it meant they didn't have to work anymore. You may think that no one in there right mind would do that, but I bet most people on this board know people that would do that.

Again, I am in no way saying that is what you are doing. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people that would be willing to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Absolutely, John. Congenital degenerative disc disease and juvenile onset arthritis. According to my orthopedist, I have the back of a 75 yr. old man (at 51). I'm currently fused at L4/L5 (disc failure) and will require another fusion procedure at L5/S1 (disc failing) some time in the near future. Just think......MORE TSA pat-downs because of all the metal I have already. They're goin' LOVE me..... A FACT that gets lost in all the rhetoric is I took a 60% CUT in pay. What person in their right mind would do that UNLESS they had to. A friend of mine had to medically retire at 50 due to advanced arthritis. Randy was a plumber making about $70K a year. He draws just slightly more than I do.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The reason people collect disability and do something on the side is that wages haven't kept pace with inflation, if it did the SSDI would certainly be more than 400 a week maximum, which is subject to taxation. I'm sure lots here didn't know you also may have to pay tax on the SSDI depending what your total household income is, and with my wife working I will have some of that money that we will have to pay taxes on. With the rich holding the majority of the wealth and sharing precious little of it with their workers the same instance that started unions is going to once again become a factor. I expect within 10 years unions will be starting to make a comeback.
So the reason people collect disability, and work on the side, is because of those nasty rich people? Because wages haven't kept up with inflation?

All I can say is "wow".

Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why hasn't the op posted or answered any of the questions regarding if he had liked this person?

Old 02-27-2014, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Please don't misunderstand anything that I am about to write as I am not familiar with your case in any way. I'm not trying to say that your doing this.

"A FACT that gets lost in all the rhetoric is I took a 60% CUT in pay. What person in their right mind would do that UNLESS they had to."

I know lots of people that would gladly take a 60% cut in pay if it meant they didn't have to work anymore. You may think that no one in there right mind would do that, but I bet most people on this board know people that would do that.

Again, I am in no way saying that is what you are doing. I'm just saying that there are plenty of people that would be willing to do it.
Maybe it's my upbringing, but I LOVED to work. Nothing made me happier than going to work every day. I miss the smell of hot oil, creaking of contracting metal, the chirping of a carbide cutter slicing through iron. I miss the comradeship of my fellow workers (some of which became good friends). I know there are people that would be willing to commit fraud in order to stop working. My question is WHERE are their souls?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Suspended

You have guessed correctly that I'm not impressed with the testimony, and we know each other well enough that I can tell you that. What conspiracy sights? You're just making up garbage as usual to distract. Nothing is stopping you from working now, except you.

My bil has all BUT 3 vertebrae completely fused by his own body as it painfully attacks his spine's cartilage. This is a very painful process and he's permanently bent into a letter J shape staring at the ground now. His hip is bad. His knee is bad, and both are getting worse. This painful process of his body overtaking his joints to fuse them continues until his death. As a result, he is diagnosed as "profoundly depressed". And through it all he worked full time until about 2008-09 after his back had fused together. Now he works as a volunteer teaching the elderly little classes like Spanish.

Steven Hawking is completely trapped inside his body, unable to move more than an eye or eyelid or jaw, can't speak and still contributes to our society in an abnormally profound manner, especially for his condition.

So, again, what is so magical about your condition that prevents you from doing anything while Stephen Hawking still has a job? Is it your assertion that there is no work that you can do?

To answer your question (something which you aren't doing for me) Everybody knows cops generally don't get traffic tickets, food critics don't pay for meals and those in the nursing field have connections to get help for the favors they desire. Your wife gave testimony in your case huh? That sounds pretty handy when it comes to medical conditions and terms to use in the testimony. Nobody is questioning your bad back and conditions. So why are you expecting people to believe there is no job you can do in light of those in worse conditions still doing work? Especially considering that you stated you drove a moving van from where was it, Connecticut to Fla? Indiana to Fla? You walked all over graveyards for 3 yrs doing your personal interests. You drove over 4 hours round trip to pick an 800 lb desk up and you are able to stalk me in my own neighborhood on your way from Fla to Indiana (9-10 hrs drive?) and brag about it here while posting daily.

Are you sure you still want people to believe you can't do some sort of job?

Last edited by PonchoV8; 02-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see it everyday. There are millions of people out there that would gladly "just get by" so they don't have to work anymore and they are allowed to do that.

My son in law had a stroke in his mother's womb before he was born. He is totally blind in one eye and has tunnel vision and extreme nearsightedness in the other and is paralyzed completely on his right side. He can only walk in a shuffle and cannot use his right hand or arm for anything except if he presses something against it with his left hand to carry it. He works 40 hours a week at a home improvement store and draws no disability. If you met him you would not believe he could work but he does full time every week. I am pretty proud of him!