THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zacks is the last news I put any faith in!Tom

Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
For you and I, living in "flyover" country, an electric car just isn't a real viable option. I just saw my first Tesla in Rochester, MN last week...

But for those living in the highly populated coastal areas (east and west), they are increasingly popular.

Whether we like them or not, for many the electric vehicle is the future.

Do you remember the Chevy Volt thread from several years ago? Many folks were making fun of the sales numbers back in 2011 when Chevy was selling 100's of them per month (7,671 for the year). Funny thing - starting in 2012 they were selling 1,000's of them (23,741).

Chevy sold over 20,000 Volts last year - and the Volt has been superceded by the Bolt as the top seller - with 23,297 in 2017 (in December they sold 3,227 Bolts).

As to the profitability of trucks, SUV's and crossovers - Ford's domestic sales in 2018 for these vehicles are down 4.1% for the year whereas GM is up by 3.2%. Overall, Ford sales are down by 6..6% and their market share has gone down from 15.3 to 14.4.

http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2...autosales.html

The respective earnings and projections for Ford and GM are polar opposites:

https://www.investors.com/news/gener...for-2018-2019/
It’s pickup truck land here ; I couldn’t see myself anything other than a gasser or a diesel.
I read the the new $ 90,000 navigators are sold as soon as they’re off the transporters and fords new bigger SUVs are getting good praise, so maybe their big SUV sales will close the gap with GM. If the new Ranger sells like the old ones that might change as well.
Frankly, I’m just hoping to make some money off this as I’m happy with the two late model Fords in my garage and have high hopes my new Impala will be a good economical commuter car.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Talking

I bought a thousand shares when it was less than $2, so I'm good.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 03-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
It’s pickup truck land here ; I couldn’t see myself anything other than a gasser or a diesel.
I read the the new $ 90,000 navigators are sold as soon as they’re off the transporters and fords new bigger SUVs are getting good praise, so maybe their big SUV sales will close the gap with GM. If the new Ranger sells like the old ones that might change as well.
Same thing here in cornfield "flyover" country by me. I have a 1981 Chevy C10 for the few times I need to haul stuff. We have a pair of cars for daily driving (2014 Chevy Sonic grocery getter and a 2014 Caddy ATS 4). But we don't farm, so the need for a truck is very limited.

While the Ford F Series pickups are still selling well, their SUV's are down - many by double digits.

For a complete rundown of all SUV's here's a listing of sales of all SUV's by volume sold. If you click on "model" - it will put them in order by manufacturer:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/03...ry-suv-ranked/

The Ford Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Flex and Lincoln MKC are all down.

As to the Lincoln Navigator - Ford sold 1,063 of them in February vs 963 last February. In comparison, Tesla sold 2200 Model X's last month.

I agree that the new Ranger could be a help to Ford truck sales - as long as it doesn't hurt their F150 sales. If it pulls from Toyota and Nissan - it's a win for Ford. If it pulls from F150 sales - it's a loss.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Lots of folks ditched Chevrolet/GMC pickups when the 4 speed automatics seemingly would not hold up. I have heard many that bought fords...

I wonder about all the folks that had a Triton engine poop out on them, going another direction. The new Coyote engine is likely a good engine (has proven to be so far...)
It's a better engine, but complicated to work on.....not going to be a lot of shade trees getting utilized diving into the insides on one of those....

In my somewhat small town and Oklahoma City area I keep seeing what seems to be a surprisingly large numbers of vehicles with bowties on them...I am surprised every time I look up to see a Toyota or some other emblem on them, and it's not....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Lots of folks ditched Chevrolet/GMC pickups when the 4 speed automatics seemingly would not hold up. I have heard many that bought fords...

I wonder about all the folks that had a Triton engine poop out on them, going another direction. The new Coyote engine is likely a good engine (has proven to be so far...)
It's a better engine, but complicated to work on.....not going to be a lot of shade trees getting utilized diving into the insides on one of those....

In my somewhat small town and Oklahoma City area I keep seeing what seems to be a surprisingly large numbers of vehicles with bowties on them...I am surprised every time I look up to see a Toyota or some other emblem on them, and it's not....
If you go to FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) online, there are more than a few Coyote owners, especially the earlier ones, that have knocks in the engines. The ones that Ford decides to warranty have been found to have had blocks with cylinders out of round. My 2011 F150 Coyote has been trouble free for 71,000 miles, but not everyone can say that.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

At least they don't have the same problems as the Tritons had...spit'n out spark plugs, strip'n out spark plug hole threads, connecting rods exiting the block...those are just the typical stuff. Get some miles on them, there's more....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Same thing here in cornfield "flyover" country by me. I have a 1981 Chevy C10 for the few times I need to haul stuff. We have a pair of cars for daily driving (2014 Chevy Sonic grocery getter and a 2014 Caddy ATS 4). But we don't farm, so the need for a truck is very limited.

While the Ford F Series pickups are still selling well, their SUV's are down - many by double digits.

For a complete rundown of all SUV's here's a listing of sales of all SUV's by volume sold. If you click on "model" - it will put them in order by manufacturer:

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/03...ry-suv-ranked/

The Ford Escape, Explorer, Expedition, Flex and Lincoln MKC are all down.

As to the Lincoln Navigator - Ford sold 1,063 of them in February vs 963 last February. In comparison, Tesla sold 2200 Model X's last month.

I agree that the new Ranger could be a help to Ford truck sales - as long as it doesn't hurt their F150 sales. If it pulls from Toyota and Nissan - it's a win for Ford. If it pulls from F150 sales - it's a loss.
I wonder if electric cars are just a trend now like diesel cars were in the early 80s.

My wife now uses my Ecoboost F150 and we still need a truck as we live in boonies.

As for the navigator and other high end SUVs ; I think $90,000 for a vehicle is a huge waste of money.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 03-13-2018, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
If you go to FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiasts) online, there are more than a few Coyote owners, especially the earlier ones, that have knocks in the engines. The ones that Ford decides to warranty have been found to have had blocks with cylinders out of round. My 2011 F150 Coyote has been trouble free for 71,000 miles, but not everyone can say that.
I remember you bought that about the same time as I got my Ecoboost from another thread.
My Ecoboost still performs great , never gave me any issues although it’s no longer a daily driver.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ford is run by a bunch of idiots, the stock prices reflect that.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We need to stop thinking of it as a user,we need to think about IF we can make any money on it!Tom

Old 03-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I remember you bought that about the same time as I got my Ecoboost from another thread.
My Ecoboost still performs great , never gave me any issues although it’s no longer a daily driver.
Ordered mine August of 2011, got it a month later.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As for the navigator and other high end SUVs ; I think $90,000 for a vehicle is a huge waste of money.
That’s purely relative. A waste to someone who makes less money, but not a waste to someone of higher means. It must be viewed in light of what it costs to design and build such a vehicle, and we all know the cost of things continually creeps higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
We need to stop thinking of it as a user,we need to think about IF we can make any money on it!Tom
Yep. If you bought the stock, you likely bought it for one reason... to make money. Just sayin’...

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Honeywell will split into two more company's this year and will have good increases for those who have the cash to invest.
I have no horse in this race. Just an option to consider.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuff like this probably doesn't help....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...eel/423395002/