THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Weather

Last night brought us 1/8 of an inch of snow, and 1/2 an inch of salt!

Guess all the "drivers" that have internet driving licenses will be able to get to the discount store and shop.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at 1-3 inches OR 2-4 inches of snow today and tonight. The total depends on who you listen to. This time two weeks ago it was 75 degrees. Got to love Ohio Valley weather; it’s no wonder the Shawnee wouldn’t live here full time.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They were spreading rock salt the other day on the state highway that abuts one side of my property. There wasn't any snow on the road whatsoever, just a smattering of snow on the grass is all there was.

I was told that if the state doesn't use their whole allotment of salt in a winter season, it gets reduced the following year, so they try to use all the salt they have, is it true? Probably, with the way the government wastes money I wouldn't be surprised at all.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds about right. 2 weeks ago we had 1 inch of snow, plow came down our dead end road and plowed and sanded. Last week we had 8 inches of snow, no plow.
This morning we have 1 ft of snow over night and no plow will be seen, good thing I have 4wdr. Calling for rain later today so should be quite the mess.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

It is snowing now and probably 6 inches on ground in valley but they say a few more inches today and tonight.

This is my last winter in Montana! New Mexico after this. I've had it with snow. My land down there can get 20 degrees or less at nights in winter, but gets up to 50-60 in the day. Up to a 40 degree swing vs more like a 10 degree winter range here from low to high. Plus over an hour more daylight in day in winter. And over 100 more sunny days a year. So I go shovel snow today with combined bitterness and glee .

Old 01-06-2022, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Snow sucks. Where I am, we get 2-3 snow events per year. Other than that, lots of rain. I just got new Nokian tires for our daily drivers. Great tires for snow or any wet conditions.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 01-06-2022, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I truly miss the snow.

We moved about 125 miles south of where I was reared (north Missouri to south central Missouri).

Of course, I am prepared for snow (bring it on!) with a couple of John Deere snow removal devices (both a 318 and a Gator with front blades). When we get a reasonable snow, I blade our driveway, the neighbors' driveways, and the street in front of our house and our neighbors.

As a youngster, snow meant better hunting conditions (wild game was an integral part of our diet). Mixing ground rabbit with ground beef 1:2 is almost indetectable.

What really irks me about snow today is the salt and cinders MoDot uses to pollute our land, our streams, and to destroy any vehicle used when this stuff is on the roads.

Not a tree-hugger, but almost consider joining their organizations to prevent the use of salt and cinders.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Snowmeggedon has begun!! Well, at least according to local media. In reality, there is less than an inch on the ground as we speak. Yes, the roads are a little slick because brine doesn’t work well under 20 degrees F. The groceries are out of bread and milk, schools and businesses are closing and the people who are actually venturing out are paralyzed with fear. The ONLY reason I was out was for a bag of ice so I could make a batch of brine. Days like today I miss Wisconsin...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

I was told that if the state doesn't use their whole allotment of salt in a winter season, it gets reduced the following year, so they try to use all the salt they have, is it true?
Can't speak to their situation directly but I can guarantee you that it is absolutely true where I spent the last 37 years working. Federally subsidized Transit system. If you save money you are punished by having your budget reduced but if you spend the max you may even get more next time. My supervisor tossed me the keys to our shop truck one day and said just drive this thing around for a while. If we don't get enough miles on it, the next time we need one we won't get it. I have seen millions of dollars worth of equipment bought and brought in to the shop just to sit there for years until eventually it just disappears out the back door on the night shift.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Snow is a wonderful thing. So many fun things you can do in it! Ski, skate, snowmobile, etc... It's even fun to drive in it!

I even enjoy shoveling snow. Was out this morning in -4 degree weather shoveling my sidewalks and driveway down to the concrete. And after selling my home, I'm renting a townhouse where snow removal is included in the rent. But I'm a little anal about driving on and compacting the snow so unless it's a serious snowfall I just do it myself.

Old 01-06-2022, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Can't speak to their situation directly but I can guarantee you that it is absolutely true where I spent the last 37 years working. Federally subsidized Transit system. If you save money you are punished by having your budget reduced but if you spend the max you may even get more next time. My supervisor tossed me the keys to our shop truck one day and said just drive this thing around for a while. If we don't get enough miles on it, the next time we need one we won't get it. I have seen millions of dollars worth of equipment bought and brought in to the shop just to sit there for years until eventually it just disappears out the back door on the night shift.
DoD is the same.

I have been in meetings with Army units when the end of the fiscal is upon them and they start asking "Do we have anywhere to put a second ping pong table? Who wants a new computer?"

Here stateside its sometimes a little better because you can work backdoor with other programs that need funding to basically loan them your funding. They need funding and you need to spend your budget.

But the moral is yes, you will for certain be punished with cuts for coming in under budget.

I dont mind a little snow in the winter but Im praying it holds off for a few more weeks. Im getting that Porsche 911 from my other thread here soon and I want to be able to drive it a few times before they salt the roads here.

I have a husky mix and he loves it, so Im at least happy for him when we get dusted.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's Mr. Obvious checking in. In places where it snows a lot, the people and your local DOT are better prepared to deal with it. In places where it doesn't snow much, when it happens, it really screws everything up. People don't know how to drive in snow and their vehicles aren't prepared for it.

I grew up in FL but I have lived in IN, WI and OR. IN and WI are pretty good at dealing with snow on the roads. In my part of OR not so much, because it is rare.

I'm prepared to deal with snow on my property. I have a tractor and I can clear my own driveway with ease. We have good snow rated tires on the vehicles. The roads and other drivers are the problem.

I'm not sure if I'll ever move again, but if I do it will be to the south.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 01-06-2022 at 05:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 04:54 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Exclamation

Quit complaining, youse guys.

You could be stuck on I-95 in Virginia.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Snowing now.roads got a dusting. I like snow. Esp when snowflakes are driving. If anyone needs toilet paper , bread , milk etc I have extras! We youngins use to enjoy going out on the worst snownights. My parents thought we were crazy.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We're finally getting out from under a week of snow. We usually see one or two small snow events a year though it's not uncommon to not get anything that sticks in any given year. This last week was a lot colder than normal and we got about 8-10" of snow in the city (and more in outlying areas) which stuck around. My jobsite was shut down all last week because of it. It warmed up to just above freezing earlier this week and we got a little more mixed rain and snow along with just plain rain that washed most of the snow away and today it's almost 50 and absolutely pouring rain, so now rivers are flooding from all the melt off. Supposed to dry out over the weekend which is good 'cause I'm moving, then right back to 40s and rain next week.

Plenty of time to catch more snow still. The last couple of years we've had big snowfalls in February.

The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Quit complaining, youse guys.

You could be stuck on I-95 in Virginia.
You could be stuck on I-95 in VA behind a bunch of EVs !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They should be able to stop and plug it in to the snow bank, LMAO. Maybe the nearest tree?? Long extension cord..
Ya they haven't got it quite figured out yet.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Each year, Americans spread more than 48 billion pounds of salt on roadways to ward off the effects of winter weather.

But it comes at a cost: De-icing salt degrades roads and bridges, contaminates drinking water and harms the environment, according to a slate of scientists expressing growing alarm.

While salt helps keep roads clear in winter, it doesn’t just disappear with the snow. Some melts into rivers, lakes and even water supplies. The portion that remains on roadways eats away at pavement and bridges. It does the same to pipes that carry drinking water, causing lead contamination in some places. Too much salt in the environment can kill small organisms.

Salting any type of planting will kill plants for months, years, even decades: a sort of scorched earth policy for plants of all sorts, leaving the ground absolutely barren for ages.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 01-06-2022, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thats the only good thing about our artic blasts, it pushes all the snow storms down south for a while.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here in mid Minnesota we've gotten 26" of snow in the last week and half and now its -15F.
Anybody got a spare bed in Florida.

The Following User Says Thank You to hobbygto65 For This Useful Post: