Old 08-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default helping my buddy dye his interior on the weekend

helping out my buddy to re dye his seats . what is the correct SEM colour code for the 71 white interior , want to order it for the weekend

Old 08-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No idea on the colour, but if you are new to this watch for the humidity. Only problem I have had with sem was when it was too damp! It looks like its going to be nice in the north east this weekend.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Humidity makes it blush

Old 08-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

be sure to prep everything very well, especially seats if you want it to last... SEM is not a dye, its just paint with better flex & adhesion properties.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
be sure to prep everything very well, especially seats if you want it to last... SEM is not a dye, its just paint with better flex & adhesion properties.
is there a better product them SEM

Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SEM works great for most interior plastics & vinyl, i just wanted to point out its not an actual dye like many people call it.

changing color or restoring color on seats may eventually have areas wear through due to the use they get. if the seats are vinyl, SEM has a low luster clear you could try for an extra layer of protection.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Suspended

If going white over any other colour you'll 10x as many cans to get coverage, about the same cost as new white seat covers!

Old 08-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
If going white over any other colour you'll 10x as many cans to get coverage, about the same cost as new white seat covers!
no white on white

Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
is there a better product them SEM
Last year I changed the black interior in my '71 GTO, back to it's original jade green color. I did a little research and found that it you wanted a paint, SEM was a good product. But, I had an interest in a dye. I contacted a company called Parasol in Canada. They make a dye type product which they claim penetrates to the chemical compound of the color you're trying to change. The change then takes on your color. Interesting. They could match the color I wanted, so I bought 10 cans at $20.00 each. Cans aren't very big. Followed their instructions and the interior turned out very nicely. No signs of premature wearing. I think this product does work very well. Better then SEM, not sure because I never used that product. Seems that SEM is a paint and more apt to lay on the surface with minimal penetration, where a dye goes deeper. The downside is, it's expensive. I ended up buying a total of 15 cans to do it right. That's my limited experience. I would use their product again.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Last year I changed the black interior in my '71 GTO, back to it's original jade green color. I did a little research and found that it you wanted a paint, SEM was a good product. But, I had an interest in a dye. I contacted a company called Parasol in Canada. They make a dye type product which they claim penetrates to the chemical compound of the color you're trying to change. The change then takes on your color. Interesting. They could match the color I wanted, so I bought 10 cans at $20.00 each. Cans aren't very big. Followed their instructions and the interior turned out very nicely. No signs of premature wearing. I think this product does work very well. Better then SEM, not sure because I never used that product. Seems that SEM is a paint and more apt to lay on the surface with minimal penetration, where a dye goes deeper. The downside is, it's expensive. I ended up buying a total of 15 cans to do it right. That's my limited experience. I would use their product again.

yes i have used sem before and it does come off . thanks for this info . i will contact them and try it out

Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive use sem on int. plastics with great success (except for the one time it was too humid and had to redo ). Proper prep is the key for success. Spraying the product on is the easy part. I have not done seats, but I did buy a set of seats from the swap meet that I thought were black. They were old and beat up with plenty of use. Upon further inspection I realized they had been "dyed, painted" whatever you want to call it. FWIW, they held up really well for what looked like years of abuse.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using SEM for years with great success.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 08-23-2018, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
helping out my buddy to re dye his seats . what is the correct SEM colour code for the 71 white interior , want to order it for the weekend
FWIW...the correct white (GM calls it Ivory) is a pearl white for 1971 Firebird. you must be working on a car with the Custom Interior option as that was the only way to get code 212 Ivory in 71. most all suppliers/vendors/restorers will get this wrong and sell/use a straight white on both the plastic trims and vinyl seats/door panels. the original finish on the Ivory vinyl had a pearlescent top coat in 1971, which btw was the one and only time ever used during the second gen. Firebird production...

My mostly original un-restored ugly old survivor/beater 02D V.N. built 71 Trans Am will confirm this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131109_071942.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	491359  

Old 08-24-2018, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbirdta View Post
FWIW...the correct white (GM calls it Ivory) is a pearl white for 1971 Firebird. you must be working on a car with the Custom Interior option as that was the only way to get code 212 Ivory in 71. most all suppliers/vendors/restorers will get this wrong and sell/use a straight white on both the plastic trims and vinyl seats/door panels. the original finish on the Ivory vinyl had a pearlescent top coat in 1971, which btw was the one and only time ever used during the second gen. Firebird production...

My mostly original un-restored ugly old survivor/beater 02D V.N. built 71 Trans Am will confirm this...
does anyone sell this color

Old 08-24-2018, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 71 Custom interior and could not get a match on catalog order white for 71. Generally was too white and not pearly. I sold car before resolving, but I would have a pro special mix dye if I did a 71 Custom white interior. Unfortunately, besides saddle, you probably have the most challenging match possible.