THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:23 PM

Default The new Ames website finally up

https://www.amesperf.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 433lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
Boy I hope this is better than the old one. I hated looking/ordering parts from it.

Old 07-13-2023, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

I like the fact you can now see your previous orders.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool! I’ve actually been buying quite a bit lately, and Ames site was frustrating to deal with.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 07-14-2023, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet, been waiting for this.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I guess Im an idiot. I dont see any improvement other than a fancy home page. When I filled out the info with my car and year it still needs a part no. to open up. I didnt see a button anywhere to open the catalog and search for parts!! When clicking the pretty picture of the catalog for my car (firebird) it takes you to an order for the cat. If there is somewhere on there to open up and search please let me know, otherwise its not very intuitive.

I love Ames, and seems like I am placing orders once a week as of late. Always have great service and great parts. They are my go to guy. BUT the website has always been the stone ages compared to other car part companies. One needs to have the catalog in front of them to successfully order from the website and sometimes a phone call needs to be made. Three steps all at the same time to order a part??

Old 07-14-2023, 09:34 AM

No love for the lemans in model selection.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Sorry, I guess Im an idiot. I dont see any improvement other than a fancy home page. When I filled out the info with my car and year it still needs a part no. to open up. I didnt see a button anywhere to open the catalog and search for parts!! When clicking the pretty picture of the catalog for my car (firebird) it takes you to an order for the cat. If there is somewhere on there to open up and search please let me know, otherwise its not very intuitive.

I love Ames, and seems like I am placing orders once a week as of late. Always have great service and great parts. They are my go to guy. BUT the website has always been the stone ages compared to other car part companies. One needs to have the catalog in front of them to successfully order from the website and sometimes a phone call needs to be made. Three steps all at the same time to order a part??
Agreed...the search functionality needs to be improved. I would suggest also being able to search for all parts for a given model/year and possible category (like suspension components, drivetrain, interior vs. exterior, etc). You may not know the exact terminology for some parts to search easily. In this respect, I believe OPG has a much better website. It has to be easy to use/order.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 07-14-2023, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

I wasn't able to find one item. I even tried hats/shirts and it came up with nothing for a 69 Firebird.

The Following User Says Thank You to ScumOne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried downloading a catalog and I got a Vortex optics catalog. ��

The Following User Says Thank You to hobbygto65 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Decided to check it out.

If you select which catalog your car fits in and also select the year, you can just type all in the part number box and every part available for your car will come up. From there you can select a sub section if you want. Hope that helps. Not sure if that worked on the old site or not.

Old 07-14-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ehhhh, not much of an improvement over the old site. Searching for things isn't any easier. It's not difficult, it's just set up a lot differently than most parts sites.

It's easier for me to just call them and pick it up in person, but for those that can't I guess the website is of some improvement?

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 07-14-2023, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm optimistic, but clearly the site is not all there yet.

I had to open a new account, and they asked if I was an existing customer. I said yes, but there was no way to associate my customer ID number with this new account. If they get this set up well, it will allow me to look up previous orders which would be great.

Will also be nice to get shipping costs before ordering.

And yes, the vehicle ID selections look like place-holders and I also agree they seemed to have lost love for the LeMans in their pulldowns... I'm sure this will get fixed.

Old 07-14-2023, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

I think I’ll continue to find what I need in the catalog and use the part number to fill out the shopping cart.
I need low frustration and this is the only way to have that for me.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

No Customer Rides yet but I think it's an improvement.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A while back I downloaded a catalogue in pdf. I use that to find the part numbers then create an order on ames website. I have do the same thing with classic industries for my Chevy II. I have ordered parts from amazon, o'reilly's, and other specific car sites. For the most part a description will lead me me to scrolling through many pages. If i can find a specific part number the part on the site comes right up. The easiest for description I find is summit. I can usually easily find a part number and then search other sites for prices comparison. I find ames online ordering only a wee bit more challenging than others.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
The Following User Says Thank You to tooski For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 09:45 PM
Suspended

Yep, I gave up. I don't want to look up a single part with 'their' part number as I'm not after anything. I just want to browse and do it with a collection of parts that may suit my own vehicle. Nope. Closed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2023, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It associated my account with the new website and I can look at all my previous orders, very handy, but that seems to be the only real difference so far.

Old 07-15-2023, 04:01 AM

Just enter, for example number 1 to the search field and press search icon and the parts page appears. Now just choose catalog and year, erase the number 1 from search term and everything opens up.

After that, it is very easy to just browse around. You can use the section and subsection to pinpoint your needs or if you have the parts number alreay in mind, then enter that into the search field.

I find this new web page very easy to use. Also, comparing to the nearest rival website, I found that shipping cost with Ames were way more reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	616071  

Last edited by samiralfey; 07-15-2023 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:24 AM
Suspended

1 for 1 browsing sucks. I'll continue to shop elsewhere and send guys there.