Old 01-26-2023, 10:48 AM

Default 1978 Snowflake Wheel Paint

I am planning to restore a set of 15 X 7 Snowflake Wheels for my Trans Am. They are the standard wheels with the Slate Gray paint in the pockets.

Can the experts on this forum recommend the "correct" paint? I have a compressor and spray gun or can use spray cans if necessary. I see that OER lists the correct paint but not sure how "correct" it is.

Thanks in advance for any guidence. I don't want to do this job twice.

Old 01-26-2023, 02:24 PM

Default OER paint

From my experiences with OER spray paint.......I'll never buy theirs again.

I was working on my Y88 rims and bought 2 cans of the gold paint. Same stock/part number. Two different shades of gold. I called and they sent me 2 more cans. Same numbers on the cans.......and two different shades of gold.

Total: 4 cans of spray paint and three different shades of gold.

Old 01-26-2023, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OER spray paint sucks ass! I've bought 4 cans over the last 2 years, and every single one of them was a different color. Some were gold, others a pewter color, and even had one that looked almost green with a hint of gold in it.

I went to my local paint supplier and had them mix a quart of single stage Solar Gold from a 78 Trans Am. I spray my wheels and grills on SE cars with it, and it looks sweet. I'll grab some pics for ya.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-26-2023, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a YEE, but I have a nOS wheel with the gray on for reference, it’s a Kelsey Rim, I’d go to a Auto Paint co and get a Qt mixed, paint formulas are on the Paint chips. From most Company’s. The gray is the most common color. I wouldnt use a spray can

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-27-2023, 10:07 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded. I always have had my doubts about aftermarket wheel paints.

Yes, as a lst resort I could take one of the original wheels to the autobody paint store for color matching but a little concerned that the paint may be faded from age/ sun exposure.

Can anyw\one provide the PPG paint code for the 1978 "Slate Gray" snowflake wheel paint? My PPG paint chip binder only goes to 1974.

Thank You

Old 01-27-2023, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockys1970 View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. I always have had my doubts about aftermarket wheel paints.

Yes, as a lst resort I could take one of the original wheels to the autobody paint store for color matching but a little concerned that the paint may be faded from age/ sun exposure.

Can anyw\one provide the PPG paint code for the 1978 "Slate Gray" snowflake wheel paint? My PPG paint chip binder only goes to 1974.

Thank You
wasnt the snowflake wheel color called argent gray?

Old 01-27-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rally’s we’re charcoal and argent , and dark argent

DQE 8906 -PPG. ( PPG Chip board, rev 4/78)

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 02-02-2023, 05:18 PM

Default 1978 Snowflake Wheel Paint

Thaks to everyone who replied.

I'm thinking is must be the Dark Argent. Sinv=ce Argent is for Rally II wheels and is more silver in color. I will try to post a photo of my original wheel. It could be that it faded from age/ exposure and looks more gray.