Old 03-10-2023, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default painting my valance

prepping the car for the body shop . is the inside of the valance body color or red oxide primer

Old 03-12-2023, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fenders hood and valance should be black on the backside as they were painted at final assembly paint shop. The body shells were painted in an entirely different paint shop at Fisher Body next door. Only the body shells were elpo (red oxide) dipped and only at Norwood in 70-73. Van Nuys we’re still hand primed in this era.

The Following User Says Thank You to giles For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2023, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
Fenders hood and valance should be black on the backside as they were painted at final assembly paint shop. The body shells were painted in an entirely different paint shop at Fisher Body next door. Only the body shells were elpo (red oxide) dipped and only at Norwood in 70-73. Van Nuys we’re still hand primed in this era.
that is great info ,never new that .thanks again Was there ant overspray with the body color

Old 03-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a '70 or 71 Bird, agree with Giles, the original steel valance on the back side is black (original black primer finish).

On a '72 or '73 model, the original valance was molded plastic, & that plastic was body color.
The original cameo white plastic front valance on my '72 T/A was in a box with a few pieces missing, yet still white on front & back. When my '72 was repainted lucernce blue in the late '70's, a steel front valance was used & it was was painted in lucerne blue both front side & rear, which is obviously incorrect.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-12-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
On a '70 or 71 Bird, agree with Giles, the original steel valance on the back side is black (original black primer finish).

On a '72 or '73 model, the original valance was molded plastic, & that plastic was body color.
The original cameo white plastic front valance on my '72 T/A was in a box with a few pieces missing, yet still white on front & back. When my '72 was repainted lucernce blue in the late '70's, a steel front valance was used & it was was painted in lucerne blue both front side & rear, which is obviously incorrect.
anyone have a sample photo of a correct finish